Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • BMW 3 series touring as a bike car?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Looking at a diesel one of these – either a late E46 (pre 2005) shape or an early E91 (current). How do they fare as a bike lugger – need to get 2 in, no front wheels, but otherwise complete, plus kit. Is it possible to get a bike in the boot with both wheels and the saddle off (I doubt it)

I’m coming from a ’99 Passat, so assume it will be smaller, but by how much? It should be better to drive though?

I’ve tried an Audi A4 and thought it was about as involving as sitting in front of the TV with the sound off. Jag X-type is another option, but not sure how it will cope with proper high mileage. Ford and Honda just don’t do it for me. My old man has an Octavia which kinda knocks that out (unless it’s vRS) and I don’t want another VW…

…and any comments on 320d vs 330d? Head says the former, heart says the latter…

coffeeking
    Free Member

My brother owns a 330d (E46), lovely car. The general thought seems to be that the 330 actually gets better economy than the 320 in most situations, certainly he gets around late 40s, early 50s without driving like miss daisy. Boot is fairly spaceious, never tried getting a bike in though, cant see it being impossible. However at ~100K miles it has had to have half the suspension bushes replaced, front shocks, elec window regulator, MAF sensor, has a leaky injector, despite full BMWSH by previous owners.

plexi

I use an E46 coupe to carry two bikes regularly without difficulty (front wheels off, saddle lowered but still on, pedals still on, loads of room for other kit too).

If you can be bothered taking one or more pedals off it’s easier still on the coupe: the challenge is getting both bikes through the boot slot, but this wouldn’t be an issue with the Touring’s hatchback.

theflatboy
    Free Member

without driving like miss daisy.

wasn’t the whole point of the film that miss daisy didn’t actually do any driving at all?

foggy
    Free Member

You can get easily get 1 bike in the back with both wheels on without lowering the seat – I do it all the time, loads of room for other stuff left over too – never tried 2 bikes though.

Joxster
    Free Member

Saab 9-5 Estate, don’t even need to remove the front wheel.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

joxster – bang on. And sound fuel economy as well.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

plexi,how do you do that? I have an e46 saloon and struggle to get one bike in, my SC Heckler. I have to take both wheels off and put frame on back seat on a cover. Great cars though.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I have an 04 320d touring. TBH I’ve never tried/needed to squeeze a bike in the boot. There’s no room in there anyway, there’s a gurt big bag full of cymbal stands

when I take my bike somewhere by car, it will fit whole with the seats down, or, dismantled & in a bike bag, almost upright front to back with just one of the back seats down.

It will take a 7 piece drum kit:

at a squeeze with all seats up, but the bass drum on the back seat and a couple of the smaller toms resting on top of it, snare in the same seat footwell & the cymbals wedged between the kick & the seat back

It’s definitely the best car I’ve ever had; not particularly frugal for a diesel but I’m sure if I didn’t have to drive through Bradford/Leeds twice a day in rush hour, it would do better. I believe the new models are much more efficient.

Not cheap but I’d buy another.

willv

I’ve got an auto 330d E46 and ave 35mpg with lots of motorway driving. Had an 320d which would easy do 40+ mpg. Easy enough to get bikes in the back with wheels off. But as others have said its not the biggest of the estates for the cash and repairs can be pricey. try http://www.bmwland.co.uk for more info ie: turbo failures.

Octavia est would be a good choice too

Shandy
    Free Member

The beemers are both quick. The 2 litre is ok but the 3 litre diesel is a great engine. You need to justify it to yourself on the basis that you are already being sensible going diesel. BMW engines are also reasonably efficient which can save on road tax/BIK.

You’re right about the Audis, I’ve driven the A6 and A4 and they were both shopping trolleys. You do get a lot more options as standard though, and 4wd can be handy.

Mercs are spacious in the back and can look well, maybe worth a look.

cp

strangely wildly varying fuel consumptions – I borrowed a 330d for a couple of days, and with some ‘enthusiastic’ driving (not fast – 80 on the mway’s, just some hard accelerating, but generally mixed driving) i averaged 49mpg. That’s over a total of about 500 miles, mixture of town, twisting A roads and motorway.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Coo, this has picked up a bit since Tuesday when I posted it.

I’m already running a diesel (get a comfortable 50+mpg, occasionally 60+) so whilst the 320d might be similar, i suspect the extra consumption of the 330d is going to take some justifying.

Saab 9-5? I’m really not after a barge 😉 and don’t really need anything quite so big. The Octavia is on the “b” list. As I said, my dad has one, nice enough to drive but it’s a lot noisier and not as well put together as my much older VW.

I’ve been doing a bit of looking around on the BMW forums. Much talk about swirl flap failures and turbos dying. Any comments? The former seems quite easy to sort, assuming it doesn’t die immediately after you’ve handed the cash over…

Trekster

mate changed from BM 330 to VW Passat and says he ll never go back. Boot area is defo bigger in Passat too much trim encroaching into boot space no BM

kennyNI
    Free Member

One of the guys I ride with has a 3-series touring, E91, previously an E46. You can fit 2 bikes in with front wheels off, although not upright if that’s what you were hoping for: one laid on top of the other.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Current (and last) Saab 93 will take 2 bikes with front wheels off (leaving seat in riding position)
    It will also take my SS ready to ride! (19in frame with a foot of seat post showing!)

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’ve got an X-reg 330d with 105k miles. I prefer Japanese but this has not missed a beat yet. The boot’s not so big but for what it is, it does everything incredibly well (apart from rain/snow, even with good tyres – then I use a real car such as a Mitsubishi Legnum VR4.

Over 40mpg flying with bikes on the towbar. I hate myself for this but I really enjoy it. I bought it for the engine primarily and find that it is much better than VAG attempts at diesels (or anything else).

However, if I could guarantee that the previous owners of a Honda Accord Tourer diesel had bothered to check the oil levels (they do not like oil levels much below maximum) then there’s no other choice – I would have definitely go for one of them.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a bit of looking around on the BMW forums. Much talk about swirl flap failures and turbos dying.

E46 seems to get a blocked crank breather if you dont change it as specified, this causes problems with the turbo oil feed and kills the turbo over time. As with any nippy performance car though, turbos dont usually last too much more than 120K miles unless you’re lucky and/or treat it exactly as per required, or drive it slowly most of the time – it’s a wearing part, and about £1200 new IIRC.

Not heard of swirl flap issues, but not looked for it either.

Re the economy variations – 35mpg is very poor for the 330d, suggests either the auto is rediculously inefficient or there was a fault IMO, the MAF can fail without triggering a code and make a big difference to performance and economy.

How times change. I remember when I first came on this forum (2001-2?) BMW owners were the scum of the earth and X5s more evil than nuclear weapons 😉

SigmaF
    Free Member

Jon, how’s thing??….did you source a gamut??

Okay….good riding friend of mine had the 320d touring…..went quite well, wasn’t as refined as expected (we were both NVH engineers at the time)…pulled quite well, used to run about 38 average….oh, and at 80k he had some issues with the turbo/inlet manifold or something similar…

But, more importantly – the boot space was s*ite…..for a touring….shallow BIW pan + wheel arch liners really infringed storage area….put me off completely….

How related I don’t know but my 04 330Ci has had some issues with anit-roll bar bushes….at 45k….but, then again, all 3-series incl. the Touring are quite a firm, directed ride….

The X-type diesel….interesting consideration….particularly as I was one of the lead launch engineers that put the Ford Engine in it 😮
    Good car, well refined, pulls really well (had some calibration tweaks amongst other drivetrain mods)..more space…..but…..you’ll loose a mortgage on it…..not an issue if you get it for a shed price!

Other options……Alfa 159 Sportwagon…..drives fantastic but similar storage issues…..Subaru…..acquired taste……think that you were on the right lines with the vRS diesel….!!

Jon, do you want to get 2 bikes and kit in with rear seats up or down? With seats up, it’s gonna be hard to get 2 bikes plus kit in the boot area of a 3-Touring without taking both wheels off. I would struggle to fit 2 bikes in the boot of my Allroad without taking the wheels off.

However, if you’re prepared to fold the seats, most medium/large hatchbacks will take 2 bikes plus kit easily. The space in my Honda Civic (new shape) is huge with the seats folded down. Could probably fit 3 bikes with just the front wheel off plus kit in there very easily (had 3 complete BMX bikes with wheels on plus kit in there before).

plexi

santacruzsi, here’s how I do it:

– fold down both rear seats – the backrests don’t end up quite flat but near enough
    – front wheels off both bikes
    – saddles down (optional, depends on the size of your frame)
    – first bike in, horizontally, forks towards front seats
    – (optional) carry a pedal spanner and take both pedals off bike 1 and at least 1 off bike 2 *
    – (optional) place sheet/padding on likely contact points where bike 2 will rest on bike 1
    – second bike on top of bike 1, horizontally, forks toward front seats **
    – both front wheels on top of bike 2 in boot
    – add other kit to taste
    – (optional) take a photo once you find a layout that works to save time and patience at the end of the day

* taking the pedals off will take much less time than pfaffing around trying to figure out the optimal way to place both bikes the first time you try this
    ** depending on bike frames sizes/shapes it may be easier to flip bike 2 so the saddle is at the other side of the car

Have fun.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Thanks for all that.

In terms of bike storage, I’m talking seats down for 2 bikes (but ideally leaving the parcel shelf in). It would be nice if I could get one bike “hidden” in the boot, with seats up, by taking both wheels and seatpin out. It was a piece of piss in my old disAstra (in fact I could get 2 in and riding kit, the Passat is not so friendly (narrower between the arches)

I accept the 3 series is going to be smaller, but so long as it’s still practical. A 5series would probably be better, but is currently out of budget. Either which way i’m after a car that’s actually fun to drive.

We had a look over an X-type the other weekend. Big boot area with the seats down, but the floor is high and the luggage cover low (and a big old lump), so that would have to come out every time. Not written off yet though. Not sure how well it’ll take a LOT of miles though (I’m looking at 80k+ cars, with the expectation of running it up to 160k+)

3 series Touring should have ample space with seats down. As would most hatchbacks too.

My previous shape Audi A3 could fit 2 bikes upright with just the front wheel off plus plenty of kit.

Hard to ignore the BMW diesels given the combo of fuel economony and performance.

Joxster
    Free Member

Fast Barge

A reasonable fast barge 😉 allegedly I can get 145mph out of mine on the Autobhan 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve got a 06 320d touring. You can easily get two bikes and kit in it with the back seats down.

I know what you mean about the A4 Jon- well sorted saloon with a decent engine but nothing special to drive. The BMW is much more entertaining to drive- can’t beat rear wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution and negligible understeer. Less space than the A4 though and the interior is not so nice. I get low forties fuel consuption from mine with enthusiastic driving on mixed A and B roads. The engine is great- smooth power delivery throughout the rev range (unlike the Jag diesel) and very smooth for a diesel. Downsides are lack of interior space vs the competition and the traction on snow mud and loose surfaces is very poor. It also eats tyres but that could be something to do with how I drive it. Only problem I’ve had is the bearing going on the alterator.

Will be changing it next year and will be looking for something with more interior space like a Merc C Class or BMW X3. Might even consider sacrificing handling and get an A4 quattro

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s my old 330d, sold it around 18 months ago to fund my Masters.
    Had everything on it, nav, s’roof, xenons etc and was chippes to around 245bhp and god only knows how much torque.

Probably used to average 35-38mpg, was proper quick in gear, I had the steptronic and TBH, I would never buy a manual 330d, I had an Alpina B3s 3.4 before this and whilst the alpina was quicker top end, the 330d was at least as quick in everyday driving.

With regards taking bikes, it was great, the seats folded flat easier than eny other car I have owned, just push a button and they are folded and whilst you will need to take the wheels off, I used to get a couple of bikes in no problem, and that was with only half the rear seat folded as I had a babt seat that I just left in place. Whilst I have owned much ‘better’ cars, the 330d wa the best car I have owned, if that makes sense.

After selling it I breifly owned a 330i touring, it felt gutless in comparison, and I never thought I would ever say that about a 3.0 pertol BMW engine…

Are BMWs really a handful on wet roads?

Quite fancy a BMW coupe when it’s time to chop in the Type-R (not for a while yet), but stories of fishtailing in the wet put me off a bit.

loddrik
    Free Member

Not with dsc which they all have nowadays. Turn it off in the rain and you may be asking for trouble though.

samuri
    Free Member

I must be the least petrol headed person on earth. I really can’t fault the handling the audis. The 4wd ones in particular behave brilliantly under hard conditions and all the fwd drive ones I’ve driven have been very solid and give plenty of feedback. Yes, any rear wheel drive car gives an entirely different experience but under normal conditions if you’re not pushing it it feels exactly the same.

shortcut

I am running a 320d, get around 45mpg and can do 2 bikes for a week away, although with a larger frame it is betwe to take a both wheels out. Just because it creates more space.

The A4 does have more room and a Skoda would also be a good option as someone has previously suggested.

ziwi
    Free Member

I have the e91 320d touring. Best car I ever had I really can’t fault it. Fast, quite, effortless cruiser on the motorway, very fuel efficient, great ride but still manages to handle well – and also still much more involving to drive the the A4 that I tried. You could fit 2 bikes on top of each other with the seats down no problem – personally use a towbar hitch if you can get one with a removable towbar you push a button inside and out the thing pops – fantastic.

The thing was so expensive though with the credit crunch and all it has left me wondering whether I should have just bought some sort of Mazda MPV or something, its just a bloody car at the end of the day, and a nice car while fun at first just becomes a car after the first 2 weeks…..just a thought before you jump in

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Are BMWs really a handful on wet roads?

Not with the ESR stability control on. Also it doesn’t entirely stop the fun- if you overcook a corner in the wet it will let the rear slide and you can get a nice drift and power out of the corner without any fishtailing. Really overcook things and it will apply the brakes asymetrically to keep you on the road. You can also switch between ESR and DSC which is supposed to give more traction in snow but it really doesn’t help.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

I can get my Scandal 29er (front wheel off) & the lads 24″ bike in the boot .
    Recently got new rack so now go on the roof.

It’s an E46 320D (can’t stand the interior in the new ones, prob my age) auto does 43mpg ave 45mpg motorways, dead reliable & a cracking drive.

If you don’t mind the fuel economy, Sub Legacy which I have had in the past. Good boot size & 4 wheel drive to boot.

Joxster
    Free Member

If you don’t mind the fuel economy, Sub Legacy which I have had in the past. Good boot size & 4 wheel drive to boot.

And Subs come with working indicators 😉

ski
    Free Member

We used to have a company pool car, BMW320d 51 plate, turbo went, which BMW did not want to know about at 37k!

It clocked it up to 130k when the 2nd turbo went on it.

The 5 speed box also used to lock in gear sometimes! BMW never found the fault, but when it did it to me on a slip road, it was not funny.

Admittedly it was, driven reasonably hard, most of our Directors are twunts, but the VW Passats we have in the fleet got the same abuse and did not suffer bills wise like the BMW’s did.

Split rear boot lid was a neat touch for dumping stuff quickly into the boot.

shame as it handled well and the driving position was great for clocking up mega miles.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Regarding grip, I know they’re a mess in the winter, even with winter tyres. There are much more capable cars for such things. My gearbox went in my real car in Aviemore and when the AA guy came, I said I would go home and get the BMW and drive over to the Lecht for some snowboarding. He said that he has been on that road many times dragging BMWs in particular out of ditches.

Electronic aids do help but nothing is better than mechanical grip.

johnhoo
    Free Member

Only problem I’ve had is the bearing going on the alterator.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Happened inside the warranty period on mine, though, so not a problem

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘BMW 3 series touring as a bike car?’ is closed to new replies.