Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bloody idiots and their smartphone/GPS apps ruining it for everyone else
  • scaled
    Free Member

People speeding down mountains, causing collisions and ending up in hospital. Strava does skiing…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26466484

Sui
    Free Member

Ski Tracker is excellent, quite comparable with Strava, but more detail. Like with MTB you will get plenty of nobs being irresponsible. However most are responsible and just like to use to track where they have been. Anyway on piste is boring – off-piste is where it’s at.. I did however hit over 50mph on my snowboard in Austria (empty piste).

johndoh
    Free Member

I had one of these 40 years ago

People like to know how quickly they are going, it’s just another way of measuring it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t understand why Eurpoean ski resorts don’t have US style ski patrol, ie “ski police”. Skiers and boarders screaming down blue and red pistes are very dangerous. This is exactly the sort if behaviour the US ski patrol looks about for, you can have your ski pass confiscated and be fined.

Whether apps encourage more of this I couldn’t say. It would seem to me only a matter of time before a person injured when being hit by another skier/boarder uses Strava/other online data to prove the other elson was irresponsible.

GrahamS

Ski Patrol?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVAeSchgnQ[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

I had one of these 40 years ago

That worked for skiing? <impressed>

johndoh
    Free Member

That worked for skiing?

No, it was used on my Raleigh Tomahawk for blatting down Aspin Lane in Knaresborough at Mach 3. Point is people like to know how quickly they are going, these Apps are just another way of allowing people to do it. Don’t really see why there is anything wrong with them.

Rockape63
    Free Member

We love our apps for checking our top speeds on the slopes, but being 50 + year old blokes, don’t put others at risk doing it. I got up to 60mph at Bormio on one very steep section with big braking area!

Was scary! 😯

wiggles
    Free Member

Blaming apps for these things is like blaming GTA for murders…

There are many idiots in the world waiting to do somrthing stupid the reason they did it seems irrelevant

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just link any bloody strava thread on here to this thread, same shit, different posting.
    Its not down to the apps, its the users. Of course pre-strava nobody EVER went fast and hard to get a pb on a ride.

legolam
    Free Member

Ski Tracks is a fantastic app – loads of data to geek over! 73kph top speed today…

My top recorded speed on skis is 108kph, but I have DEFINITELY gone faster as a teenager without an app to tell me how fast I’d been. I think I ski slower now I know that I go over 100kph!

falkirk-mark

They will make one of those apps for cycling soon, mark my words.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bloody idiots and their smartphone/GPS apps ruining it for everyone else’ is closed to new replies.