Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Blisters on the soles of my feet , To prick or not to prick ???
  • blastit
    Free Member

Done a bit too much walking in some shonky shoes and now have some blisters on the soles of both feet.
    So what can I do too help things along ????

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve heard tales of using a needle and thread, leaving the thread hanging through as a wick.

Personally, compeed patch and leave alone. If you need to keep going, zinc oxide tape over the compeed and get some decent socks (and shoes).

mlke
    Free Member

Leave ’em be and keep them clean

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m surprised you can say prick and not ****!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Needle and thread works a treat. Used it for decades for quick healing of blisters.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Do not burst them! They are a natural body bandage that needs time to do the job. If you want to help then just put a compeed patch over the top & keep things clean & dry….
    I hope you have happy feet again soon…. 🙂

mightymule
    Free Member

Beer. Problem solved 😀

blastit
    Free Member

on my third pint now 🙂
    just a bit painful getting next one from pantry. Wife not working properly !!!

project
    Free Member

If you brstt hem with a needle heat it up first with a lightter or match, it will then brn through skin and ,heating will destroy any germs on needle and stop infection.

Speeder

Never had any problems popping any of mine before.*

*but I’m no doctor.

rj
    Free Member

Burst them! The only benefit of a blister is the satisfaction you get from stabbing them.

smatkins1
    Free Member

In my experience it’s best to leave them a few days, then pop them. It’s going to painful once popped, but also painful if left. If left it’ll never start to heal fully until it pops naturally. The sooner you can get the new skin underneath exposed the better.

Edukator
    Free Member

Pricking means they don’t get bigger if you walk on them the next day quite apart from improving comfort. Make a big enough hole and you don’t need thread. I walked some of St Jacques with a doctor, he pricked and threaded sore feet many evenings.

clubber
    Free Member

As an ex rower, I reckon I know all there is to know about blisters. At least on a practical level.

If you can avoid bursting them, don’t. They heal faster that way and you avoid the risk of infection.

But, if you’re likely to burst them through use (eg walking or riding) then you’re better off preparing them than letting them burst. Pierce them with a sterilised needle and drain and then clean with antiseptic. Then do everything you can to keep the blister skin from drying out. Norwegian Formula hand cream is really good for this. Then when you need to ride, walk or whatever on the blisters, cover them with micropore tape. Maybe with fabric tape over it to hold it in place.

Hope that helps

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never mind pricking them – cut them out with a razor blade, or a stanley knife if you haven’t got a razor blade. Then sprinkle salt liberally onto the gaping sores to help to dry and disinfect everything nicely.

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t want them to dry. That’s when the crack and then get painful or infected. Keeping the blister on even if you drain it helps stop that happening and gives the new skin underneath time to form/harden.

MrPottatoHead

Stand in a bucket of pee for a bit. They’ll be good as gold in no time.

sandwicheater

Kill a dozen kittens and poo in your shoes (and your wife’s) and I’m sure you’ll be sorted.

Photos please.

edhornby

2 pairs of socks, should reduce the friction because the outer pair holds the shoe and the inner pair holds your foot

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Blisters on the soles of my feet , To prick or not to prick ???’ is closed to new replies.