Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bled juicy 5's, and now they feel "soft"
  • alcolepone
    Free Member

I’ve just bled some juicy 5’s and they work fine and all, but now the lever takes a little more movement to engage, i prefer a smaller movement to the lever. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this, do i just add more fluid in the caliper to push the lever out more?

Cheers

joolsburger
    Free Member

Start again and try doing this

coatesy
    Free Member

Could just need bleeding properly(not always the 5 minute job that some would have you believe, when you think you’ve removed all the bubbles, carry on sucking and you’ll probably get a lot more). Other causes could be sticky caliper pistons/seals not allowing the brake to self-adjust properly(clean and lube the pistons with silicone fluid,ideally stripping the caliper to do it properly), or badly adjusted caliper mounting- if both pads aren’t hitting the rotor dead square and at exactly the same time then you’ll be putting effort into flexing the rotor(which can give a spongey feel if it’s badly out)instead of braking.

duntstick
    Free Member

Zip tie the lever to the bar overnight to allow air bubbles through to the reservoir, then top off the res following morning with a bit of fluid. (worth raising the front end to aid the migration of air bubbles from the rear)

ahwiles
    Free Member

you start with:

juicy 5’s … feel “soft”

but then go to:

now the lever takes more movement to engage, i prefer a smaller movement

these are 2 different things, so which is it?

alcolepone
    Free Member

they take a lot of movement to engage, which to me feels soft.

they do engage though.

i’ve currently got the levers tied to the handlebar’s and will top up the oil from the caliper again. see if that helps.

should have left them alone 😀

duntstick
    Free Member

I once zip tied an electric toothbrush to a caliper in an attempt to speed up the process 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

I used to have some Juicy 5s. Great brakes until they need attention. Then they are very attention hungry.

nickjb
    Free Member

It sounds like they are bled ok. If you want to move the bite point to reduce travel then you could take the wheel out give the brakes a squeeze or two then put the wheel back in. If its too tight then push the pads back in carefully with a screwdriver and try again. Might take a few goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bled juicy 5's, and now they feel "soft"’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM