• This topic has 29 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Blacks
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Stores closing

Closing 89 stores across the UK. Maybe this is why when I was in there yesterday the level of customer service was worse than any bike shop I have been into.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes they're pretty bad these days.

stumpy01

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. It's a shame for all the staff, but I refused to buy anything from them after a particularly bad experience with a faulty sleeping bag that took over 8 weeks to (not completely) resolve.

Onzadog
    Free Member

feel sorry for the poor sods losing their jobs but I have to ask, when does the sale start?

LMT
    Free Member

The problem with blacks for me, is we used to have a Freespirit store in solihull which i believe that blacks own Freespirit and Oneil, i could be wrong, but recently they converted the Freespirit to a Blacks and the new store is awful, i used to like popping in picking up an animal t-shirt or something similar but now i can't.

All i can say is bring back Freespirit!

badnewz
    Free Member

This sector seriously over-expanded over the last ten years. Cycling is going the same way, I can see a number of the high-end, mega-store formats going under in the next two years. Just how many Evans and Cycle-surgeries does London need?

soobalias
    Free Member

no sale, just move all the stock to their other shop, millets

Mister-P
    Free Member

We had the same, Freespirit became a Blacks and I stopped going there. I only popped in yesterday as I was walking past and had a few quid burning a hole in my pocket. Needless to say it warmed up someone elses till.

jova54
    Free Member

We had the same thing in Guildford. The Freespirit store was in a great position and the Blacks down a back street. The Freespirit store closed and was replace by Blacks and it is rubbish.

Interestingly we have a Cotswold Outdoor store supposedly opening in the town soon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We've gt two Blacks, a Freespirit, Cotswold Outdoor, Millets, Castle Mountain & Moor and a few others. Guess we could afford to lose a few.

kimbers

blacks on chiswick hi st is pretty good, good service and decent stock as millets closed down recently they are in a good spot really, id be surprised if they close that one down

matthewjb
    Free Member

Leeds has got a Blacks, a Millets, a Freespirit and an O'Neill. So I guess we'll lose at least one of those.

We've also got a Nevissport, a Cotswold Outdoor and a North Face (owned by Cotswold).

So I guess there's a bit of oversupply in the sector.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Any post that starts with the line 'the problem with blacks for me' is a bit disconcerting, to say the least. I thought for a minute that my grannie had started posting on here…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Evans of the outdoor world.

allyharp

There's a Blacks and a Millets 2 or 3 doors from each other in Glasgow, so I'm assuming one of them will be gone. The Blacks is probably the better of the 2 mind you – Millets mostly seems to stock cheap stuff.

bensales
    Free Member

LMT – Member

The problem with blacks for me, is we used to have a Freespirit store in solihull which i believe that blacks own Freespirit and Oneil, i could be wrong, but recently they converted the Freespirit to a Blacks and the new store is awful, i used to like popping in picking up an animal t-shirt or something similar but now i can't.

All i can say is bring back Freespirit!

Hmm, I'm the exact opposite. I liked that Freespirit store when it first opened (I'm in Solihull also), but it seemed to go downhill over the last year or so. I've been into the Blacks since it changed and actually bought more Animal gear than I did when it was Freespirit as it's got a bigger range. Lots of Oakley and Oneil as well.

The one in particular must be getting some stiff competition from the new Cotswold Outdoor in Mell Square though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

" jova54 – Member

We had the same thing in Guildford. The Freespirit store was in a great position and the Blacks down a back street. The Freespirit store closed and was replace by Blacks and it is rubbish.

Interestingly we have a Cotswold Outdoor store supposedly opening in the town soon. "

Field&Trek is pretty good though, no?

thegreatape
    Free Member

We've gt two Blacks, a Freespirit, Cotswold Outdoor, Millets, Castle Mountain & Moor and a few others. Guess we could afford to lose a few.

Nottingham?

Onzadog
    Free Member

yep!

Philby

As I understand it part of the reason Blacks are in the proverbial s*it is because of the poor trading performances of the Freespirit and O'Neill outlets, which they probably acquired at the top of the market. This has been exacerbated by a general decline in spending on the outdoor leisure market which has impacted on the main Blacks and Milletts brands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8269820.stm

Trimix
    Free Member

Poor service is not surprising. In an overcrowded market with internet access for everyone, margins are squeezed. The staff are paid the minimum and have little or no product training/knowledge. Little or no company loyalty results. Customer service is poor, customers go elsewhere or buy online.

Lots of businesses are going the same way.

Reluctant
    Free Member

is there a list of closing stores anywhere?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Was at the Manchester Fort Blacks this morning – it was like a jumble sale. However, if you can bear it, they have everything discounted by at least 50% – incl. Icebreaker merino, maps, hydration packs etc. Pretty grim atmosphere in there as you might expect, but goes with the territory I suppose. Poor sods who work there.

rOcKeTdOg

30% sale in my local millets and blacks today

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Freespirit in Cambridge became Millets and the Blacks (which is closing down) moved to newer premises

As an aside I agree their customer service was dire, last time I went in the shop assistant was just downright rude and ignorant

cove123

Have £61 on a blacks gift card what to buy ASAP..Merral Shoes, TNF waterprrof/thremal/Fleece

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I'm in Northampton where The Outdoor Group (Parent company for Blacks, Millets etc) have their Head Office, as well as a warehouse, and for about the last year or so they have been opening the doors on a Saturday and Sunday and selling of a load of surplus/end of season/end of life type stock very very cheaply, have managed between myself and S/O to grab some bargains, such as TNF jacket for £50 down from £200, and Berghaus base layers for about £6 each to name a few, so maybe if your in the area check it out.

BoardinBob

I was in the Glasgow Blacks on Friday and it was still on 20% off on selected items. 80% of stuff was still full price despite a supposed closing down sale!

vinnyeh

Don't suppose anybody's seen if Meindl has 30% off?

Nico
    Free Member

Big sale in Guildford Black's yesterday. It was a scrum.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Blacks’ is closed to new replies.