Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Black Pudding. Food heaven or food hell?
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

Peruvian peasants artisan black pudding made from the menstrual discharge of a craven heifer is the best, far superior to anything, anywhere, ever

simonhbacon
    Free Member

Heaven.

You can get black pudding made with fresh blood in the UK, but you have to look around a bit. Source in St Nicks, Bristol, make their own.

I remember a pub in the black country that did black pudding thermidor.

jota180
    Free Member

My local pub used to put it an the bar on Sunday lunchtimes
    Just as it comes, no further cooking etc.

Lovely it is too with a good pint.

binners

Heaven,

Agree though it’s far far better from a butchers/farm shop Bury Market than the supermarket stuff.

FTFY 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Heaven,

On the subject of ‘odd’ meat products – I once had a tradition Bravaian Breakfast of White Sausage with sweet mustard and white beer – it was amazing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TEH NOMZ!

ton

in the past, when I was a bad bad man, my fave buttie was,
    black pudding, dripping, and slice onion. just perfect… 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What is Red pudding?

Vile

I had a red pudding supper, tasted the red pudding and it was so horrible I couldn’t eat it and chucked it out the car window for the birds. A seagull swooped down on it, took a bite and dropped it. Not even seagulls eat it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stornoway black pudding – awesome
    Morcilla – awesome
    Any black pudding I have tried in England tasted like it should be applied to a wound. Hideous.

Stoner
    Free Member

CFH – they’re made a boiled-egg’s-throw away from my coppice (literally, one good run up and I reckon I could hit their office door 🙂 ). Ive been into see them a few times to chat. Great little Co. and they have quite a few retail outlets around these parts now. Spoilt for choice with all their recipes mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re available in a rather nice deli in Stockbridge down here. Utterly lovely.

binners

Nobeerinthefridge – you need to get yourself some proper Bury black pudding off Bury Market. The real deal….

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Bury Blackpudding is a pale imitation compared to Stornoway. That stuff is just superb and everything I have ever had from Bury has been… well… kinda disappointing in comparison.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m of the opposite opinion, Bury black pud is ace, Stornaway stuff is weak tasting.

M6TTF
    Free Member

that deep fried shizzle looks the business! was decidedly unimpressed with white pudding though

1-shed
    Free Member

What about http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_pudding with square sausage, I love cooked breakfast in Scotland.

chakaping
    Free Member

Gastropub we went to last week used it lovely with pigeon, celeriac mash and a nice jus.

Bury black pudding I think, tasted lovely to me but I’ve never managed to have it abroad despite many visits to Spain. Are they not so keen on the morcilla down south?

woody2000

Has some battered and fried black pud in the Adelphi hotel in Leeds, along with a few of their real ale selection – blooming lovely it was 🙂

ocrider

I sometimes make a tart with roquefort,apple, walnuts aaaaand boudin noir.
    It’s rather tasty

paladin

Not many reasons for visiting Stornoway, but black puddin is one

jambalaya
    Free Member

Heaven. Whether in a breakfast fry up or at a fine dining restaurant

Northwind

How is it the english act freaked out about haggis but embrace the obviously far mankier scab sausage?

(no criticism implied of either heavenly foodstuff)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s jealousy NW. We have haggis, they have faggots.

66deg
    Free Member

I am generally not a fan of BP but my wife makes a dish to die for ,she is currently at a conference in Londinium so just for STW she has sent me the recipe.
    Fry a few onions gently(not many) and reserve ( whatever that means).
    Then fry two apples and reserve.
    Then fry the BP into which you incorporate the onions.
    Then layer them both together into a tower( with turrets an all)

Scoff the lot with shit loads of wine ,this is France.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds good!.

jota180
    Free Member

( whatever that means).

It means put them to one side for use later

tuffty
    Free Member

Love black pudding, and now in a Scotch egg too. Heaven!

mt
    Free Member

Binners, be assured that Andrew Jones does not even come close to being the best pork pie maker in the colne valley. You need to get out there and start trying various butchers in the valley. For starters get your self to butchers a bottom of Wessenden, eat and learn.

66deg
    Free Member

Ooooo Binners sounds like you have some work to do 😉

iainc

Stornoway +1, big log in the freezer 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Big logs are supposed to be flushed Iain, not frozen!

tomhoward

Heaven

And +1 for making scotch eggs with it!

bearnecessities

So I must be the only one that finds it repulsive shite?!

iainc

Nobeer – easier sliced and fried that way !

allfankledup

We live 3 miles north of the 2012 scottish champs, and 12 miles or so south of the runners up.
    Both pretty good

Scottish black pudding champs

Saltcoats or Wemyss Bay – take your pick

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You in west Kilbride then fankled? I’m from Saltcoats originally (managed to escape!) and that BP ain’t a patch on the Stornaway stuff.

allfankledup

Aye Wk

I’ve had Macleod’s – we went to Harris in 2004, and wanted some of the infamous black pudding from Stornaway. Told the old dear that ran the place we were staying. She phoned the butcher, who put the pudding on the bus. The bus drove from Stornaway to Luskentyre – stopped outside the B&B and the old dear collected the BP from the bus.

She paid next time she went to town

Awesome service.

The stuff from Saltcoats is a shed load easier to get, and pretty damned good 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll need to try it again. Where do you ride locally fankled? There’s a few of us on here that ride up the moor regularly.

johnny

Morcilla is where its at- grill it, parillada style and then just split one end and let it splurge over your choice of breadstuffs…

Alternately, a bog standard UK one in a cob with a fried egg and some pepper will do nicely.

jimjam
    Free Member

Nice black pudding, absolutely lovely. There is some horrible stuff out there too though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Black Pudding. Food heaven or food hell?’ is closed to new replies.