Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Bit disappointed with my DX Jawbones
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

mebs ill try that then. as i said, not a problem at 20 plus, but hot face plus walking pace made them insto fog.

eddie11
    Free Member

Got my black white ones today. They smell wiffy in a strong crisp flavour way. Frame was a smudge out but a quick twist sorted that out. Nose pieces look a bit rough but fine for the price, hope real oakleys are better anyway. Just a comment on the jawbone design, they sit quite high on my face which is good for riding in the drops on the road which is what I wanted them for, but seems to leave a big gap at the bottom for crud to get in on a mountainbike

billyboulders
    Free Member

To re-enforce what clubber has already posted GENUINE LENSES DO NOT FIT. They are a slightly different shape mostly in the top corner nearest the arms. All is not lost ‘tho two minutes filing a pair of gen. clear lenses off cyclestore.co.uk and I now have a killer pair of riding glasses 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Filing lenses? I’m out! Rather be able to put my real lenses back in my real frames if I wanted!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

hot face plus walking pace made them insto fog.

Get yourself to Jeff Hall’s and get some of this:

tracknicko
    Free Member

cheers phil, might do just that. be good for goggles on mx bike too! i get hella sweaty there!

eddie – try swapping the nose rubbers, the thinner ones should make them sit closer/lower.

eddie11
    Free Member

Ah that’s what they were. As I say, not complaining for what I want them for the high fit is an asset, I’ll have a play with the others anyway

tracknicko
    Free Member

think it depends on shnozz shape, which is why you get 2 sets of nose pads.

despite having quite a romanic nose, mine is fairly narrow at the bridge, so they sit normal like.

clubber
    Free Member

eddie11 – Member
    Just a comment on the jawbone design, they sit quite high on my face which is good for riding in the drops on the road which is what I wanted them for, but seems to leave a big gap at the bottom for crud to get in on a mountainbike

As tracknico – that’s what the different nose pieces are for – they adjust how high/low on your face the glasses sit. IIRC genuine oakleys come with the lower ones fitted as standard so you change to the (included) higher ones to raise the lenses relative to your eyes.

I assume that the Fakelys different nose pieces do the same ( I did switch mine but can’t recall if I actually checked that they made a difference).

billyboulders
    Free Member

Another word of warning for those planning to mix+match frame/jaw colours. Take a close look at the “torx screw” on close examination mine (black/red) look suspiciously like it may actually be some sort of rivet cunningly disguised as a torx screw – haven’t tried to remove it as if it’s not a screw it will break and I really like these shades!

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s not really a screw – it just pops in (and goes back in fine).

enfht
    Free Member

The danger with shaded lenses without correct UV protection is the shading causes your pupils to open more allowing more UV in than your eyes would normally receive without specs.

All shades sold in the UK even the really really cheap ones must have the correct UV filters but you get no guarantees buying fake shades from China.

Cheap clear specs no problem but cheap shades no thanks.

headfirst
    Free Member

Mine have just arrived! Black and red jawbones ordered 16 April.

I love them!*

*although to test their UV transparency I stared at the clouds for 10 minutes (no sun today) and when I went to walk away I felt a bit dizzy and had a crick in my neck – I’m not an expert but I don’t know if this would have happened with genuine Oakleys or not.

I’ve texted my mate and his coming round later with a shotgun to carry out that test, although I might run out of eyes after testing 2 out of the 3 different lenses…

EDIT:enfht: I’ll give you 2 guesses where the really really cheap ones are made… 😐

big_n_daft
    Free Member

cilaryblue are doing me some prescription lenses for these

I’ll report when they both land

clear was £30, tinted £40 and reactions £70 with their UC/MAR coatings

<£45 for prescription riding glasses could be a bargin!

clubber
    Free Member

enfht – have you read the various threads at all? 😀

billyboulders
    Free Member

Right -so if you were to have genuine vented lenses what happens then. Your pupils are dilated due to the shading but they have holes in them. Surely the naughty u.v. rays will get in and fry your eyes (then go on to sell your granny and eat your children I suppose)

enfht
    Free Member

clubber – no, can you tell 😆

EDIT:enfht: I’ll give you 2 guesses where the really really cheap ones are made…

They’re made in China yes but they’ll all be fully certified UV protection cos its the lawwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Edit – billyboulders maybe you’re right, who needs UV protection. It’s just made up science innit

onandon
    Free Member

althepal- if you search on DX ‘cycle glasses’ they do a whole black and whole white pair.

tracknicko
    Free Member

don’t know if you lot know but apparently there is some doubt about the UV protection offered.

will
    Free Member

headfirst – Member
    Mine have just arrived! Black and red jawbones ordered 16 April.

I love them!*

*although to test their UV transparency I stared at the clouds for 10 minutes (no sun today) and when I went to walk away I felt a bit dizzy and had a crick in my neck – I’m not an expert but I don’t know if this would have happened with genuine Oakleys or not.

I’ve texted my mate and his coming round later with a shotgun to carry out that test, although I might run out of eyes after testing 2 out of the 3 different lenses…

EDIT:enfht: I’ll give you 2 guesses where the really really cheap ones are made…

Not fair! I ordered mine then and according the DX they are out of stock still 🙁 (White & Black ones)

kimbers

well mine have been dispatched, the tracking site isnt very useful to me as the status is in chinese

(my officemate can read it though and apparently says ‘received at port’ – which port i dont know)

im planning to get a mate of my at an optical physics lab to compare the wavelengths blocked by these with my genuine oakleys

will be interesting to see the results!, sadly they only have lasers and stuff, no shotguns

Tiger6791

I have painted the inside of my lens with a special coating to ensure 100% UV is blocked.

Very happy now I know I am safe.

davosaurusrex

Ordered a pair yesterday. Didn’t even know I wanted riding glasses until I read this….

I don’t rate the Bob Heath anti-fog at all. This stuff works much better;

http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=25

I find the stuff in the bottle the best value

mrflaky
    Free Member

Well for the sake of 11 quid ordered a set, and emailed cilaryblue (thanks big_n_daft) about getting some prescription lenses done for them.

Could be a great deal, worse case I buy a set of geniue lenses and a file!

Lifer
    Free Member

Mine have been dispatched, you got yours yet Kimbers?

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive had mine for a week or two now, good quality and no excessive fogging.
    Re uv protection, if im right its uv that causes tanning. When I wore mine snowboarding last week I got tanned all over my face, a bit burnt on the nose, but with an untanned goggle mask where the glasses were.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Mine have also just been dispatched, so watching limbers for an indication of expected delivery time (have gone for the orange/white combo)

Lifer
    Free Member

I went black/yellow and white/black so I can get an ‘as much black as possible’ pair, white and yellow for the road bike will go with my Renault Elf jersey.

All planned to perfection.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

althepal – Member
    Someone recommended visionarylenses (US ebay) on another thread on the same topic I believe.
    they look decent for the price but I havent used them myself so cannot confirm!

Yup that was me. Wore a set in my half jackets and have been totally stellar. Really good in bright sun – lasted a couple of years in Western Australia on the beach, in the sea and out on the bike. Lots of choice and great value. I’m not entirely sure if their replacement Jawbone lenses are vented though.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

mine arrived today, but the black lenses are not vented.

is this the same as everyone else?

clubber
    Free Member

yep, the grey lenses are unvented on mine too.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Mine turned up today, got the black and red, really pleased with them.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

can you get black frames with red lowers?

psychobiker
    Free Member

Got some photos taken today, and been for a ride in them. Really chuffed with them, will look at getting some genuine lenses at some point though.

Case as it arrived

Opened

Contents

Logo

Close up of Torx screw which on mine is metal screwing into the nut on the other side

And on, taken just before ride.

Having been on a ride with them I found them very comfy and the lenses seem ok, although I do plan to replace with genuine lenses at some point in the near future.

Am thinking of ordering another couple of pairs as spares.

crikey
    Free Member

Psychobiker, who does your hair?

psychobiker
    Free Member

Up until 3 weeks ago it was about 2 foot long, so I am having to get used to doing something with it. I was going for the something about mary look.

clubber
    Free Member

interesting that yours look different to mine – yours being better. newer batch I guess.

althepal

Ordered another pair, all white. Dispatched today do should be here in a week or two hopefully!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Unfortunately the second pair I got were not so great. Frame was twisted, the nose pieces don’t snap properly on the jaws.

Also found that this set are slightly different to my first set in that jaws are not swappable between the two.

The lens are slightly bigger too. They certainly don’t fit into the first pair I got. I know Clubber mentioned that the authentic lens don’t fit the fakes because they are too big. So maybe the newer ones are a straight match for the originals now?

I suppose their quality control is a bit hit and miss.

Regards

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Bit disappointed with my DX Jawbones’ is closed to new replies.