• This topic has 29 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bird Aeris: First Impressions
  • psycorp
    Free Member

Got the first ride in on my new Aeris tonight.

Now I’ve had plenty of bikes over the last 10 years, some would say too many. Almost all of them have been self built from new frames, with a few used frames thrown in for good measure. I know from experience that very rarely does a new build feel right from the first ride, some never do. There is always a tinkering period before I start to feel comfortable.

Not today. I didn’t even adjust the saddle height.

I agonised for weeks over buying a medium or a large due to the long ETT on the frames, finally plumping for the large. It’s immediately obvious that it’s longer than anything else I currently ride, but immediately comfortable too.

It’s not twitchy, very stable and confidence inspiring. First impressions are very good and I think I’ll get on famously with it.

cooie

Nice one! Do you normally ride a medium? I demoed a large,but it felt a bit small,so need xl.

psycorp
    Free Member

It depends on the make cooie.

An On One 456 for instance I’m a medium. My Mega was a large but there is almost 30mm difference in the ETT betwee that and the Aeris.

With the long ETT I was expecting the Aeris to feel quite alien but was very surprised how comfortable I was.

For reference I’m just over 5′ 11″ if you’re considering one.

rhid

I am looking at one too. However I am the other end of the scale. Looking at a small or medium. Even the small is much longer in reach and TT than my medium remedy so I think I should go small. I def need to try each size but I live in north Wales so its not going to be easy.

Psycorp – did you test before you bought?

tmb467
    Free Member

Pedalabikeaway near Forest of Dean have em available to test ride

£50 charge but redeemable in the form of a voucher if you decide to buy

Still a fair bit of travel but not as far as Hampshire

rhid

That is good to know. I will check it out.

shifter
    Free Member

Where’s the pics?!

sv

You missed the most important info – colour?!

And what shock did you go for?

rhid

Good point, what build?

I quite fancy a Blue SLX build (its the 2275 one, cannot remember the proper name) Nothing too fancy….

rhid

Aeris.2 thats its name. Looks well good. So does the Lime green colour.

moonsaballoon

Had mine a few months now and can echo the OP , haven’t changed the set up at all . I feel more confident descending on it and it climbs well to , just a good all round bike .I’m 5 9 and went from a 19 inch stumpy to a medium aeris

dvowles82
    Free Member

Glad you’re loving it. Faulty rear shock aside, mine has been brilliant. In a straight line, it’s super stable, begs to go faster and is surprisingly playful/poppy. Pedals and climbs reasonably well, although it’s noticeably slower and harder work in this respect, compared to my old Whyte T130.

The angles are great and the spec is brilliant for the money. I also love the low standover and low seat tube.

I went for a medium at 5’10” of average proportions. Torn for a long time on medium or large, after a test ride but having spent more time with my medium, I am certain it’s the right choice. It’s such a long, stable, roomy bike anyway, that the last thing I want is yet more length. While it’s a playful bike in terms of suspension, it’s not a particularly agile bike in terms of turning, and takes the long way round compared to shorter bikes. Even on a medium with a 40mm stem, I consciously have to get my weight forward far more than my old bikes, which feels good, but a Large would involve that much more forward weighting. Out of interest, I decided to hop on my mate’s Lapierre Zesty (2013) and my other mate’s Cube Stereo (2012) – both Medium. They felt TINY compared to my Medium Aeris. Cramped, nervous, short, albeit more agile. My other mate’s Large Orange Alpine (2014) felt comparable in size though.

If I was 5’11.5” upwards, I’d have probably gone for a Large, like the op has though. Although even then, the medium wouldn’t be small. But I am just pleased that the Medium is sized how it is. For my dimensions, the seat tube is just right (allowing for a 150mm reverb), giving loads of standover, but that is combined with a long 620mm top tube/448mm reach and good angles. Before this, bikes have always been a compromise. My T130 involved sizing up to a Large, but that was married to a seat tube, which was just that too long for getting the saddle properly out the way. I grew tired of banging my balls on the back of the saddle!

psycorp
    Free Member

Sorry for the late reply, been too busy at work to post today.

Colour of mine is blue. I actually ended up buying the frame without shock and fitting my own, a 2013 RS Monarch plus RC3 MM tune. Forks are new XFusion Slant 160mm. I’m running 1×10 Shimano Zee with SLX brakes and a Reverb, 760mm bars and a 40mm stem.

I didn’t test before I bought, just took the plunge. For my height I’m a bit of an ape, long arms.

Sorry no pics. I’d get slaughtered for the length of the cables, valves/logos not aligned, state of fence, grass blah blah 🙂

scc999

Wish people would stop posting threads about these.

I really want on but don’t have the room and can’t justify spending the money right now!

Si

chrisdw
    Free Member

Don’t base the sizing on the ETT whilst comparing to other bikes. Its supposed to be longer. My large Mondraker is much longer than most XL bikes. I wouldn’t want a smaller one!

rhid

Can I have a go on your bike then Chris? It would be a good test to see if I like a really reaaaly long bike!!

Alex

I’ve had mine since April. I’m 5ft11 with short legs/long body. Had a long chat with Ben about sizing and went Medium. It has about the same reach as other bikes I’ve had (which were either L or M) and I’ve felt comfortable on those. Managed to get the 150mm dropper in on the M.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s7Zhxv]Bird in the Trees[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Green is obviously the best colour. Ridden 1750km on mine all over the place including a week in the Rhone Alps were it’s properly rocky and at BPW/Antur. Not changed a thing on the build other than a new rear tyre and just about to fit an oval chainring.

It’s definitely the ‘best’ bike I’ve had in terms of being pretty good at everything. I’m a bit faster on it but the high water mark isn’t the bike. Harder you ride, the better it gets – as is the case with all bikes like this I think.

Only minor issue I’ve had with mine is while the bird branded carbon rims are very stiff and light, whatever they are coated in is not very robust. Mine look like they’ve gone 10 rounds with a chainsaw!

Anyway OP, hope you like it…

sv

^ Nice bike Alex, think orange might be better though 😉

psycorp
    Free Member

Sorry Alex and SV, I have to disagree, blue is the best colour 🙂

Great bike whichever colour though.

AlexSimon

sv obviously knows colour 😉
    I fully intended to write up a full review of mine (or maybe a video review to prevent some of the things that were said in that Evil Following thread), but I simply haven’t had the time. It’s my busiest time of year now and I have to make hay…

I love the bike though. Am also tempted by the Zero TR as a backup, because ultimately it’s the geometry I like so much which is pretty much identical on the TR.

Glad you’re liking yours too psycorp!

dvowles82
    Free Member

Puts my car to shame!

AlexSimon

image for dvowles82:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/z25C9V]2015-10-01_10-57-59[/url] by David Vowles, on Flickr

Edit: And yes it does, but that’s how it should be 😉

dvowles82
    Free Member

Cheers Alex! Sharing photos via flicker doesn’t seem to work for me.

Hehe indeed, cars are secondary in priority. 😉

psycorp
    Free Member

Lol my bike is worth waaaaaay more than my car.

All the car does is transport me and my bike to distant trails.

fathomer

Think I need to get a demo on one of these! Don’t suppose anyone’s in the midlands and has a large? 😀

benpinnick

Fathomer Pedalabikeaway @ FOD have a large demo (X1/Pikes/Monarch). Its £50 for a day’s hire but we’ll refund you that if you buy one.

fathomer

Thanks Ben, wish I knew that last week end as I was there for two days 😳

jamj1974

Nothing to offer here except I think these look ‘right’. Considered one myself. I like them a lot – gorgeous frames.

steel4real
    Free Member

I like the look these – out of interest what’s the rear tyre clearance like ?

Alex

More than sufficient. I have a 2.35 High Roller II In there and no space issues whatsoever.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris: First Impressions’ is closed to new replies.