Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Binge exercising, good or bad?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I sit on my lardy are from Mon-Fri then go out at the weekend and hammer it, everything's relative of course.

Is this bad for me or is the overall picture good?

When I say hammer I don't mean 90% max HR, but lots of miles relatively hard.

nickc

any exersize is better than none

Garry_Lager

I'm sort of the same – wouldn't say it's bad for you but it's hard to get properly fit (if you care about that) exercising like this. The sitting on your aris all week just overwhelms anything you do at the w/e, even if it's serious riding.

donsimon
    Free Member

Looking at binge drinking being bad, yet small amounts of alcohol regularly is ok, one glass of red wine per day etc. Isn't it the same with exercise?

keavo
    Free Member

i don't think its bad. but, i try to do something every day or every 2nd day even its just a little bit. i do longer or harder sessions when i'm off work which isn't always the weekend. 5 days doing nothing is far too long it would make me feel lethargic.

nickc

Depends what you want from your exersize really. If you're looking to get fitter (than you are now), then once a week probably isn't going to be enough, but then if you're just getting out in the fresh air and doing something that you love, then any fitness gains are just a bonus.

13thfloormonk

I'm doing exactly the same at the moment, but I make the mistake of caring about my performance, while at the same time sitting on my arse and drinking a beer a day during the week.

If you're going down this path don't buy a cycle computer, there's no point stressing about your average speed on the racer if you're not prepared to train.

Also I notice I'm getting more niggly injuries, 290 miles last weekend with only a little build up, and now I'm nursing a painful tendon in my ankle. Definitely need to do more commuting during the week or something.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Sounds dangerous to me! I'd be worried!

cookeaa

Most people have to fit exercise in around their job and/or family commitments, so I don’t think you’re unique by any means…

Commuting on the bike rather than driving can help with general fitness (assuming it’s possible)…

Weekend riding is good, but what are you doing with your weekday evenings?
    A couple of Evening/Night rides a week are a good way to supplement your weekend exercise, plus they can be a bit more fun in some ways…

hora
    Free Member

Do you drink Friday night as well?

shortcut

Evening / night rides are the way forward a they get you out and about for exercise more often. They certainly make you quicker for the weekends and make a huge difference for the weekend or week away on the bike.

donsimon
    Free Member

Commuting on the bike rather than driving can help with general fitness (assuming it’s possible)…

60km each way, I live in the mountains so going to work won't be a problem, it's coming home that'll kill me. 😆

Weekend riding is good, but what are you doing with your weekday evenings?

Just musing and not my case, I ride during the day during the week whenever possible, well I did until my frame cracked…

Do you drink Friday night as well?

Seldom touch the stuff.

Also I notice I'm getting more niggly injuries, 290 miles last weekend with only a little build up, and now I'm nursing a painful tendon in my ankle.

This is what I was looking at, doing nothing during the week then 290 miles in a weekend cold! 😯 Can't be good surely.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Binge exercising, good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.