Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Biking in Northumberland
  • Spin
    Free Member

I was planning some biking in the lakes but the forcast is atrocious for the next few days.

Northumberland is looking better (doesn’t it always?) but I have absolutely no idea about the biking there.

I’ve been to Keilder and it was OK but I’d like to do some decent natural stuff if poss.

Can anyone recommend me anything or point me at a suitable website?

Much obliged.

mlke
    Free Member

The Derek Purdy Northumberland Mountain Bike guide is good.
    Getting the appropriate 1 : 25000 map and heading to Alwinton or Wooler and having an explore is another good option.

Drac

Which area are you after exactly?

toonfan
    Free Member

The Street ride in Mr Purdy’s book is very good…

The one across Hexhamshire common is also a good un.. Bit of a nightmare in the wet though..

Mackem

The Good Mountain Biking Guide (which I heartily recommend) suggests Ford, Kirknewton, Wooler, Ingam, Barrowburn and Alwinton as good places.

toonfan
    Free Member

The MBR killer loop from Edmundbyers thru Blanchland and Bolts Law is also worth a look.

Drac

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77165738 – You’ll not there’s a bit where we doubled back on ourselves, we were kind of talking and missed the turning so no need for this bit.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76466587

toonfan
    Free Member

Drac. Is it possible to get those to work on a memory map adventurer??

Drac

I’d probably say so download them and then try http://www.gpsbabel.org/ to convert them if it can’t import as they are.

The Alnwinton one I may still have the route as it’s similar one I did for the mag.

legolam
    Free Member

Did a figure of 8 across hexhamshire common today and it’s a bogfest. Not too enjoyable!

jamess
    Free Member

Toonfan thats a great call! loads of that ride – (from Edmundbyers thru Blanchland and Bolts Law)are fine in the wet. Some great tight singletrack across the moors! drool.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers for all the input so far.

I’m pretty mobile so anywhere in the county is fine.

legolam
    Free Member

Of that little list, I think the bridleway above Edmundbyers is my favourite (think it might technically be in County Durham, but never mind)

toonfan
    Free Member

Aye you’re right legolam you cross into Northumberland at Blanchland..

Drac

Yup top one if a good old favourite Geda.

Drac

Ah this is the one I should have posted up there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34212910

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I changed my plans slightly and the only day I had in the county was grim and I ended up at Kielder for an “I don’t need to think about it” kind of ride.

I’ve taken note of the other suggestions though.

Cheers

golfcurry
    Free Member

My fav ride in the Cheviots. Do when dry or freezing

Tour of the Cheviots if you are mad

my fav ride as well and just had a look at the tour of the cheviots, very nice, one for next year me thinks.

coastkid
    Free Member

Here is a ride report from last year when we did the STW Epic Cheviots route with an extra ride in and out of from Scotland 🙂
    Stunning remote scenery if the weather is good…
    But read the end note regaurding weather conditions on the and around the Cheviot, it is an isolated area 😉

Linky…

legolam
    Free Member

Anyone been up to Edmundbyers or Blanchland recently and know what conditions are like? Was thinking of heading down there tomorrow but won’t go if the moors are all chewed up.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Any of the five or so BWs out of allendale are usually good. The ones heading east are probably a bit tacky, those are the ones across hexhamshire common and blanchland. Going west is usually a bit more grassy and stable but not so easy to link up a route.

Up towards rothbury there is the fab Thrunton and simonside, real cheviot can be a bit remote this time of year.

There’s more of a Poole along the Tyne valley and dukes wood.

…and as others have said blanchland has some good trails heading back towards allendale or south into co Durham.

legolam
    Free Member

A bump for the evening crew to see if anyone has any news on trail conditions down that way…

Inbred456
    Free Member

My call would be edmundbyers via slayley woods and bolts law. Can have some excellent riding around there even when its wet, in fact its often better when the water is a flowing!

legolam
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the plan! Don’t want to be swimming though, or causing too much erosion.

paul4stones

Freezing up nicely at the moment 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.