Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Biking gloves, do I need mtb specific?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve always worn track mitt/ roadie style gloves in warm weather. Am I missing out by not wearing mtb jobbies?

mrmo
    Free Member

only benefit for me is not getting stung by nettles on my fingers

headfirst
    Free Member

Good point. Thankfully nettles aren’t handlebar height here in the haute pennines yet.

edhornby

only if you’re riding completely off piste and liable to shred the back of your hands or you’re flinging yourself seriously big rocks

DickBarton

If you buy into the marketing machine then yes…if you don’t need someone else to tell you what you really need, then no…mitts of any sort are useful, but I’ve never found much difference between MTB mitts and other mitts – MTB mitts tend to be bulkier and tougher looking but comfort-wise, never found any difference…

drofluf
    Free Member

I get blisters from my grips in mitts (which is probably down to my technique) so use so long fingered gloves I bought in California.

ampthill

Long finger offer more protection…

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had a little accident many years ago which led to me sliding some distance with my arms flailing around. I was wearing track mitts with flimsy lycra backs. The lycra was shredded along with the back of my hands & fingers.

Now I buy more substantial gloves and mostly full finger. I wouldn’t rush out to replace what you have though.

creamegg
    Free Member

any similar gloves would do the trick as long as their comfy and tough enough to prevent your hand been shredded when things go t*ts up. I wear full fingered Fox ones, there very comfy and after several falls there still as good as new.

mrmo
    Free Member

something else i thought of, mitts fit me fine, but long finger! i have quite slim hands but longish fingers, it is never easy finding a pair of gloves and i find i wear the ends out quite quickly.

If anyone can suggest a lightweight, full finger glove with long fingers would be appreciated.

llama

Mitts tend to have lots of palm padding. For big forks this is pointless and you don’t get as much feel*

But for bikes with less travel (or none) they tend to be better, and you get much better feel on the brake levers*

* I could just be imagining this

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Biking gloves, do I need mtb specific?’ is closed to new replies.