• This topic has 58 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gerti.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Bikes you no longer ride, but don't want to sell.
  • butcher

I’m a bit of a horder. Current road bike was my first road bike. Needs a bit of a refresh as I’ve had it 5 years now. Thinking of stripping and painting. But then there’s part of me thinks….noooo….keep it as is. Put it in the attic. And soak up the nostalgia on it when you’re 90. So many rides…

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve never sold a bike. I have ridden two to death. A 1991 Orange Clockwork and a 1999 Orange Gringo. The first had a seized in seatpost and bottom bracket, with rampant rust, the second had a failed headtube.

I still have a replacement 1991 Clockwork in use, and a early Kaffenback with a hell of a lot of miles. Consumerism is bad, hoarding and making do is good.

Andy

I used to think that there were some bikes I would never sell, but in the last 12 months I have realised sometimes its better that they were moved on and used by someone. So I have sold some bikes that were really precious to me:

1998 Kona Explosif – not ridden in 10 years
    2008 On One Ti29er – ridden once in 2 years.
    2012 Salsa El Mariachi in bomb pop blue

I wont miss them now they are gone 🙁

tenfoot

My 98 Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp frame is hanging on the wall of the garage awaiting the day when I have the patience to build it up again.

Andy-R

HansRey – Member

However, my liteville 301 mk10 will be moving on. Just can’t get along with it, despite 18months of fettling.

Funny, isn’t it – different people and different tastes. I absolutely love mine, especially with 170mm coil Marzocchis.

sc-xc

Dialled Kobe Ti.

Will never be ridden again, has languished in the she did for years…

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I have a 2004/2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon which I love more than life itself.

I had it set up as a DH HT to razz to the garage when the van needed picking up/razz around seafronts when away with work.

Then I found a new use for it at the jump park, wound the forks right down and locked them out, and put on fast rolling tyres. Now though, I’m getting a snazzy jump bike and the SCC will be redundant again.

It will sit, fully built, in the living room with proper tyres back on, and the forks wound back out, until I need to collect the van from the garage again. Because it makes me smile and for no other reason. Of all my bikes it is worth the least money, but it is the one I care about the most.

Kryton57

Ti Enigma Ego 26. Gets ridden once or twice a year, but Mrs K saved for 2 years out of her part time wage to buy it for my 40th so it’s not going anywhere.

kiwijohn

Need to find some wall space for my Yeti SB66, which was retired last week while it was still in one piece.
    Also a 40th present, so has sentimental value. Have kept the fork & the wheels are on the Spitfire, so I could still rebuild it again.

strawman
    Free Member

righog… I think that’s great that your family saved up to buy you a new bike. Hope you’re getting to use it frequently too.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Strawman…It was a great present for my 40th…10 years ago 😳

I had many many epic rides on it 🙂

garage-dweller

So let’s say you have something old, you don’t use it (enough), it’s too nice for the recycling centre but it’s worth sod all.

If you don’t want it cluttering up your shed what do you do with it.

I have a lovely lightweight Schwinn that rarely sees the light of day. No disc mounts (rear), 26″ and these days a parts bin build. I can’t bring myself to scrap it but it’s wasting storage space.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Cotic Soda, XTR M970 (9spd)sids, full on XC race setup, normally get a couple of rides a year.
    Hope its a nice dry summer!

epicyclo

I’m with Stoner.
    On-One Scandal (proper Scandium one)
    Steel Pompino with belt drive conversion.

plus my Ti Pompino – I’ve thought of selling it a couple of times, but keep deciding not to.

There’s also a shed full of old projects. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Thing is epicyclo, we wouldnt get more than a fiver and a bag of beans for any of them, but as much as they’re worthless, they’re priceless 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

but as much as they’re worthless, they’re priceless

+1

Most of them get ridden, although a few might go months between uses, theres a couple I probably haven’t actually ridden in about 12 months, I should fix that…

I also dismantle and re-use parts on other frames from time to time when trying out new stuff, so there’s always a frame or two mid-build.

I do regularly sell bikes as well though, either ones that didn’t work for me, or didn’t fit as well as I’d like mostly, but if I like them then they stay 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You need more storage space.

Why i’ve still got most of mine. 25 year old made to measure steel in weird team colours with an extremely well used and non-period/mixed groupset on it is worth pretty much nothing. But i got paid for riding it and won some stuff on it. And it fits *perfectly*.

Well, it fitted perfectly 15 years ago. I’m a lot heavier now. It might be agony. Least my bones are the same length, if nothing else.

Might need a 1″ 80mm stem to ride it when it eventually surfaces……. same goes for the rest of the old bikes.

Most of the value is in memories.

epicyclo

Stoner – Member
    Thing is epicyclo, we wouldnt get more than a fiver and a bag of beans for any of them, but as much as they’re worthless, they’re priceless

Agree, but I reckon one day the Scandals will be appreciated as classics. 🙂

BTW I suggest you transform your Scandal into a all purpose gravel bike. Drops and 2.35″ Big Apples and it will go just about anywhere.

I had mine set up with a set of bars with a short drop, and it was brilliant. I still would be riding it, but I had a Ti TD-1 frame hanging around so I converted that instead.

I did a 120 mile day tour of Wester Ross on it and it was really comfy on the crap roads and it was good for a poke up the odd bit of gravel or dry singletrack. Much nicer than using a cx bike.

gerti
    Free Member

Dawes discovery 501 circa 2004.

Hasn’t been ridden in about 2 years, but it was my engagement present from my now husband and such a flawless workhorse, I couldn’t possibly part with it. I do feel I owe it a thorough clean and grease for it’s retirement years ahead.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you no longer ride, but don't want to sell.’ is closed to new replies.