Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bikes stolen, what sites to watch?
  • krixmeister

Finally happened to me. Giant road bike and Orbea MTB stolen from shed last night, southside of Glasgow.

I’m reasonably confident I’ll be screwed over by the insurance company, so question now is: can someone remind me which sites I should be watching? Beyond FB marketplace and Gumtree? I vaguely recall there were one or more “aggregator” sites that would somewhat automate the process?

SirHC
    snotrag

Yep – set up searches on Stolen-bikes – be clever with what you search for (think about what said theifs/scumbags might list your bike) and it trawls Ebay and Gumtree and sends you an alert.

Its helped a couple of people on here I think.

kimbers

I offered a reward on my stolen-bikes.co.uk post

The thief was smart enough not to sell it himself

But offered to swap it for another bike someone was selling on fb marketplace in a different city
    That guy was suspicious, checked stolen-bikes.co.uk & contacted me

Police knew the guy & recovered

eddiebaby
    Free Member

http://findthatbike.co.uk/ This site covers facebook gumtree and ebay.

BoardinBob

Ouch. Able to say roughly where in the southside? My bikes are thankfully in the house but good to know if they’re active locally.

escrs
    Free Member

If they haven’t been loaded into a container ready to be shipped off to a foreign land then keep an eye out in the usual places but not just for the bikes but for the parts also

Read a while ago that thieves are now targeting high end bikes with the view to selling off the components as most are untraceable and then they just scrap the frames as they are more likely to get caught trying to sell the whole bike or the frame

krixmeister

Thanks all. Clarkston area. Both medium/high-end bikes, so assume they’ll be parted but here’s hoping. Just spent £300 on various service/replacement stuff on the road bike… 🙁

moonsaballoon

I’m not far from you and had 2 of mine turn up on a buy sell Strathaven facebook group a year later , same women selling them both . I had already replaced everything but informed the police but have heard nothing back . Pretty  frustrating .

BoardinBob

Thanks all. Clarkston area.

Just dropped you a PM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bikes stolen, what sites to watch?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM