Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike Transportation on a Freelander/ 4×4 with rear external wheel
  • mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Morning all,

Had another car with a towbar so I bought a Mont Blanc Quickball which was ok if not a little tight with two bikes on risking rubbing etc,I then moved to Thule aero bars and 591’s as I had a co car as well so bought a foot pack for both cars, now that’s gone I sold the 591’s and bought a freelander and thought its ok I’ve got the Quickball- trouble is I hadn’t factored in the bloomin great wheel on the back so it won’t work, any ideas if a towball mount is available that takes into account a rear wheel?
    The towbar is a fixed solid swan neck unit BTW so none of the bolt attachment behind the ball are compatible.

Do I just have to buy the spare wheel mounted one- show me what you do if you drive a 4×4

Matt

aP
    Free Member

Opens back door, takes wheels off bikes, puts bikes and wheels in boot, shuts door, gets in car, drives off.
    Nice stream of consciousness BTW.

Scapegoat

If you decide to buy a wheel mounted carrier give me a shout, I have one going spare

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

aP- two dogs in the back in cage – forgot that bit

Scapegoat- where abouts are you, if it’s something I’m interested in?

Matt

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Have a look at/get in touch with Aiston cycle racks. Dirt cheap, very sturdy and will customise for literally pennies. Got one from him for our camper and it was spot on, delivered and changed to accommodate a ladder for less than 70 quid! Just don’t email him. Use the phone 🙂

Scapegoat

Huddersfield

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’ve not upgraded my Freelander in order to keep the rear spare wheel. My Halfords rear rack has lasted years and takes two bikes easily – I find the whole setup very user friendly. The rear door opens while the bikes are on the rack which doubles as a work stand when at races or travelling.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Well it looks like I’m going to get something from Aiston cycle racks as I think towbar would be better, thanks for all your input folks.

Matt

WiretownMan
    Free Member

I have a freelander with a Pendle 4×4 tow bar rack. If you get the one for the defender it has a bigger step, which not only keeps the bikes away from the rear it also allows you to partially open the door with the bike rack mounted.

The rear window opens/closes on this model, so you don’t really need to open the rear door.

sambob
    Free Member

Thule do a spare wheel compatible support bar for the clamps, we have one to work on our Discovery 2. Wouldn’t have bought a rack as nice as the Euroclassic, it was a warranty replacement 😀

pryally
    Free Member

I have a spare Pendle one from a defender if you are interested which fits the tow bar and steps to avoid the spare wheel.
    drop me a e-mail if you are interested

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike Transportation on a Freelander/ 4×4 with rear external wheel’ is closed to new replies.