• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by sv.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike toolbag torque wrench?
    prettygreenparrot

Iā€™ve a great torque wrench in my toolbox. Same model I used to use to service expensive medical imaging equipment. But it is too heavy and bulky for taking on trips or a ride.

What portable torque wrenches do folks have experience of and recommend?

leegee

I have a Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza that I practically stole from Ebay. Its been superb.

Giustaforza 2-16 Pro ā€“ Torque wrench

prettygreenparrot

šŸ¤” That Topeak set looks like a bunch of surgical instruments.

Kramer
    Free Member

Iā€™ve got the Topeak one. The only criticisms I have is that the torque bit isnā€™t as accurate as it used to be and the elastic has perished so the bits fall out quite easily. Itā€™s a great tool otherwise.

dyna-ti

I have a Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza that I practically stole from Ebay. Its been superb.

Giustaforza 2-16 Pro ā€“ Torque wrench

I have that one too, well the standard non ratcheting version, with the smaller head size. Very good indeed.

Nice having a bit of quality.

tuboflard

Iā€™ve got this one from Lezyne;

TORQUE DRIVE

Nicely made although the handle is a bit fiddly. But works well.

grimep
    Free Member

Iā€™ve got the Feedback Sports Range torque wrench, 2-14Nm. Itā€™s the only tool I pack on a ride, my Topeak Alien from back in the day is brilliant but I never need it and itā€™s heavy.

The torque wrench is a bit Xmas ā€“ cracker tbh, I donā€™t really trust it though thatā€™s just gut feeling, I stick to my 1/4ā€³ digital torque guage if I need low numbers .

Having said that itā€™s a nice but of kit, saved my bacon a couple of times, RRP is ridiculous but if you can find it discounted itā€™s a good bit of kit

Maybe the accuracy is alright, itā€™s good enough for an emergency on the trail, and tbh how accurate do you need to be? Seat post slipping? Stem bolts loose? Tighten it up a bit. You get a feeling for the right tightness tbh

5lab

The silca set is a pricy thing of beauty

T-Ratchet + Ti-Torque Kit 2nd Generation

midlifecrashes

X-Tools Pro Mini Torque Wrench w 4/5/6Nm Sleeves

I have one of these, branded Lifeline. I just carry the L shaped wrench and the 5Nm module with the bits in my saddlebag.

prettygreenparrot

Thanks, Iā€™ll check these out.

You get a feeling for the right tightness tbh

well, yes and no. Thereā€™s a fair degree of tolerance on most bicycle components I expect. But that ā€˜feelingā€™ can be misleading as a ā‚¬6,000 component on a machine I had to repair showed. It had been mangled by someone who either didnā€™t use a torque wrench or figured it needed more than one click at the right torque šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I use the Topeak nano torqbox DX, 4, 5 and 6nm torque bits in a small plastic case with room for 5 bits to suit your needs, Iā€™ve got 3,4,5,6mm & T25 in mine,Ā  the torque bits fit onto a 5mm Allen key,Ā  thereā€™s also an adjustable torque version now so no need to carry 3 separate ones.

prettygreenparrot

I spotted a new wrench, to me, in the STW magazine today ā€“ Granite ROCKNROLL TQ 2-10Nm.

MadBillMcMad

PGP (one for the techies šŸ˜Š) just pipped me to it. They are remarkably cheap. I struggle to think that they can be much good

defblade
    Free Member

I canā€™t remember off-hand if Iā€™ve got the 5 or 6Nm version of this tucked in my saddlebag, but to me either is likely fine for most/any torque-sensitive adjustments Iā€™m likely to have to make on the move; very small and slim with a choice of bits stored inside too:Ā Topeak nano

sv

Link doesnt work but Venzo 1/4 drive torque wrench on Amazon. Its a tiny beam torque wrench, been very handy and you can see the torque level increasing as you tighten.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.