Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike stolen, so time for a new one
  • jon773
    Free Member

Just had my 2010 SJ Expert Carbon nicked from the garage. The thieves managed to leverage up a roller shutter door from the outside and get in!!! Professional job as those doors are supposed to be hard to break into for the average thief.

Anyway, I will be in the market for a new ride and i am lucky enough to be able to fork out for a decent replacement, although garage security will be getting a serious upgrade first 🙂

I mainly ride aggresive XC and singletrack around the North Downs and Leith Hill areas, with an annual trip to the Lake District.

Been considering the following:

2013 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon (maybe Evo)
    2013 Lapierre Zesty 914

Both are similar prices and are designed for the same type of riding. Spec of the Zesty looks really nice and the suspension has the Kashima coatings.

Now I know the SJ is very good as I had the 2010 version, travel is down 10mm on this new version and the EVO doesnt have adj travel. Is the Zesty a better bet with the Kashima coatings, extra travel and adjustability. It looks it on paper.

Getting a test ride will be an issue and anyway i tend to adapt to bikes quite well, so small differences in the ride wont be an issue for me. I reckon i will be happy with either one, so i am not worried about getting the wrong sone so to speak.

Vote for your favourites or just give an opinion as I am still undecided and need a few viewpoints to consider from real riders and as well as the magazine reviews.

flatfish
    Free Member

The thieves managed to leverage up a roller shutter door from the outside and get in!!! Professional job as those doors are supposed to be hard to break into for the average thief.

What do you mean by that?
    I’ve been fitting roller shutters for the last 12 years and I wouldn’t put one anywhere near my house. Worst bit of security I’m asked to fit.
    Average scaghead could get through one in under a minute.
    Think about changing your door before you get a nice shiny bike for them to come back for in a couple of months.

jon773
    Free Member

I’m no expert on door security, but i was told that these were decent:

http://www.sws.co.uk/products/seceuroglide/roller-garage-doors/product-ranges#excel

Would appear not to be the case.

The door is 5m x 2.2m, so it wont be cheap to replace.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ve been to their factory a couple of times and they do look nice being double skinned with insulation between, don’t get me wrong, but if you watch the video on their site at 2.25 ish you see how much the laths flex. Double that surface area (about the size of a garage door) and it’s frighteningly easy to break in. They’re obviously not going to show you how to break in or they’ll never sell anything.
    Funnily enough I pointed out 7 of these doors that I fitted nearly 10 years ago to the wife today. Within a month of these being fitted I was called back because of sub standard build quality. SWS had to supply new doors FOC.

jon773
    Free Member

Hmmm, doesn’t sound great.

I still need to secure the door better and I found these:

http://securityforbikes.com/rollershutterdoor-LockNRoller.php

I have used their ground anchors in the past for motorcycles and have their chains and locks, so I am hoping that this new product of theirs may be able to keep my door secure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen, so time for a new one’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM