Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Bike rack – roof or towbar mount best option?
  • iainc

Aero Bars and 591’s (x3) on the roof – fitted the day I got the current car, nearly 3 yrs ago , and remove once a year to check over, lube, tighten. They are used at least twice a week, with me, me plus kids. Car has roof rails so look ok. Yes, it costs a bit extra in fuel over the 50K miles I have done with them there, but so so handy.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ransos – these photos show better how we ended up fitting it. By using a strap from the top of the trailer to the boot lid tensioned over the clamp arm (that connects the top of the trailer – at it’s front bumper – to the rack upright) it makes it very stable and shares the load between the boot hinge and the tow bar. It also stops the trailer putting too much moment on the rack itself when you “bottom out” in a compression. The rear bumper rail of the croozer sits nicely in the track and I use some thin straps to keep it there

ransos
    Free Member

Cheers stoner. I’m planning to get a towbar and rack for a trip abroad next year – that looks just the job for securing our croozer.

whatgoesup

Thanks for the advice all – there’s some really good stuff there.
    I have decided on the roofmounted option – and luckily a pair just popped up on the classifieds – sorted !

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Bike rack – roof or towbar mount best option?’ is closed to new replies.