Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike 'racing' / organised events for young 6 yr old kids in Yorkshire ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My son has just turned 6 and enjoys getting out on his bike, however there are not many other kids around are way that do.

He has been to the local BMX track and enjoyed riding round, we are also going to the local city centre sky ride on Sunday.

I don’t want him to be racing looking to win etc, but it would be nice for him to ride with other kids his age, in a semi competitive environment.

I know when I did a Nutcracker series race a few years back they had kids races that would appear ideal.

I just wondered if there is anything else out there?

Ta

StuF

slightly further south but the notts derby cyclocross league (NDCXL) had kids events, not sure whats further north

darrenspink
    Free Member

Bmx bandits do racing of all ages, get in touch with them.

ads678

https://yorkshirecyclocross.com

Lots of different age groups Inc kids from 4 up.

tomlevell

Richardsons in Scarborough run some Go Ride events and have done the last 2 races organised by Nutcracker also.
    https://www.facebook.com/Scarborough-Go-Ride-569430343067740/
    Tend to be grass based races depending upon location.

Teesside there is League 2000 on the road circuit 12 monday nights a year.
    Skills + TT + handicapped road races
    https://clevelandwheelers.com/root/league-2000/

Both good from whenever they can pedal without stabilisers.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I took my lad to the East Bradford CC sessions at Richard Dunn sports centre. He got bored because he spent most of his time queuing up to ride round some cones, then joining the back of the queue again, when all he wanted to do was ride his bike.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Lots of different age groups Inc kids from 4 up.

Yep – I’m working on getting my 8 year old racing in this league.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Even if east bradford cycling club isn’t your lads cup of tea they have a section on upcoming events that might be useful.

hammerite
    Free Member

Go Ride training and Go Ride racing are perfect for this FunkyDunc.

mick_r

Nutcracker for under 12s is fun but usually just a small circuit in a field at some (but not all) of the events. If not racing yourself then probably not worth driving there specially for it. MTB proper doesn’t start until Juvenile category which is year of 13th & 14th birthday.

Regional CX races are what you want – all ages catered for and loads of kids do them on mtbs. We only started with them when the kids were a bit older but have been very impressed – strike the right balance between challenging them a bit whilst still keeping it fun. As mentioned there are Yorkshire, NW, Notts & Derby leagues etc.

Jamz
    Free Member

I think York Sport are pretty good at organising various cycling activities for the younger generation.

York Sport Cycling

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info, will look in to it all.

I liked the Nutcracker set up as it was literally going around a bit of a field. I just want it to be fun and help him improve his skills.

Ta

ferrals
    Free Member

Got to echo the cx, nowhere near you but the Welsh cx league has hundreds of youngsters doing it and also loads of clubs doing kids training. If/when I have kids I hope it’s still going strong in the same way, it seems a great environment

dovebiker

Yes, local CX league races – usually around a shortened version of the full-course, so full view of spectators etc. At some local races many of the smaller kids get a helpful push assist from the adults on the sections they can’t ride up. Probably the most family friendly racing going.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike 'racing' / organised events for young 6 yr old kids in Yorkshire ?’ is closed to new replies.