• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike lock – quick, light, simple for cafe stops or as a second lock.
  • m360
    Free Member

Hi all,

Need an extra lock for leaving my commuter bike at the station so would like to kill two birds with one stone (save some cash) by getting one that’s easy to carry when making cafe stops on the MTB or quick jaunts to the corner shop. I have a D-lock with extender cable which is fine on the commute and for the day at the station. Also have security skewers on my wheels.

Can anyone recommend something that’s easy to stick in a pocket (don’t have a mount on my mountain bike), quick to use when popping in a cafe (so maybe combination, but not essential) and not so heavy I don’t mind stashing it in my hydration pack when mountain biking all day?

I know it won’t be the most secure lock, so is a back-up to my main lock or better than no lock when I’m in view of the bike. I’m on a budget as well, so sub £20 please.

Thought abut this, but a bit heavy and bulky perhaps.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Yes, that combination lock looks great for cafe stops, and it’s long enough do secure your mates’ bikes as well 😉

Additionally, I think you need to invest in a proper D-Lock and leave it locked at the station, as opposed to carrying it around. You need to spend at least £30 to get a decent D-Lock. Depends on how much your commuter bike is worth.

m360
    Free Member

Thanks, I have a good Kryptonite D lock (£45), and happy to carry that to the station each day on my commuter as I use it for locking in the shed also.

Was after an extra lock to double it up, or use as a single lock for low risk areas. The combination lock does look ok, just thought there may be a lighter/less bulky option but maybe not?

jamesoz

I use a chain and padlock, folded up inside a water bottle. I think it’s a ‘master’ lock from Wicks.

m360
    Free Member

This looks good, if a little long (so maybe not fit in a pocket?). Would be great for securing to bike racks, or securing luggage, helmet etc. I do like the multi-use idea. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IcJjIhT4Qc[/video]

I have one of the JE James retractable locks somewhere. Think it’s very short though and very easily broken.

The Aero Mouse may fit the bill. Would fit in a pocket easily by the looks of it and the price is right!

For reference, I do have this for my main lock/higher risk areas:

D lock and cable

m360
    Free Member

I use a chain and padlock, folded up inside a water bottle. I think it’s a ‘master’ lock from Wicks.

Neat idea.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I carry a dakine snowboard lock in my pack that I use for quick stops. Weighs nothing and is really compact. Doesn’t offer a great deal of protection but puts off the untooled opportunist..

TiRed

I carry an ABUS 1200 Combination chain. Only £10 and I wouldn’t lock a bike out of site. But fine for a cafe stop snatch-and-go.

benp1

I have one of those Safeman ones, used to use it for locking the kids buggies when we were leaving them somewhere

I use a Knog Milkman on my bike. I carry it when commuting so I can add a 2nd lock when needed, (I carry a D lock so use it on the front wheel), and take it biking for cafe stops or popping into a shop. It’s small and neat. Used it last weekend on a bikepacking trip for locking 2 bikes to each other when we stopped at cafes or pubs

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the lightweight combination Abus ones like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abus/combination-lock-1150-ec006190

It’s good for cafe stops and stuff like that. It will fit round 2 or 3 bikes no bother and weighs very little. Less than £10 and well made.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike lock – quick, light, simple for cafe stops or as a second lock.’ is closed to new replies.