Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Big Hit III maximum fork travel?
  • flamejob
    Free Member

After speaking to a friend who was at the Dirt Mag shoot/week for the Big Hit (and others) in Malaga, I fancy one, but feel the need to get rid of the Domain 180 fork and put a Boxxer (the ‘cheapo’ one) on it. I had a pair of Domain 115/160s and they were total crud.

The other bikes have manuals online explaining Max fork travel (Pitch is 160 for instance)

Does anyone know, for warranty’s sake ?

PS I realize it is a stupid conical head tube!

flamejob
    Free Member

Guess not then!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I imagine it will say in the manual which should be available on the specialized website.

flamejob
    Free Member

Two key concepts there Badger… imagine and should

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m by no means an authority on the subject, but I’ve recently built up an ’07 Big Hit III.

As far as I’ve gathered: Many people use 200mm forks on these bikes, the rear travel is 200mm and if anything the 180mm Domain is a bit short for the bike.

I’ve put a 180mm Domain 318 on mine. Did you try the 318 previously or the 302? I think the 302 doesn’t have motion control and so is probably a bit crap. The 318 obviously won’t be as well damped as some more expensive rivals, but is a great fork for the money.

Go and ask on one of the DH forums if you want a proper and knowledgeable answer though.

flamejob
    Free Member

The current Bighit is 7.5″, so is probably okay with a 180 on it, I was thinking of some Totems, but really liked my old Boxxers.

I had the motion control Domains; they did this weird thing where the bushes heated up and they went all ridged on the most extreme parts of the trail. So much so that I was getting 130mm max travel on the top (rocky) part of the Megavalanche course, and then could get full travel on some of the swoopier bits… anyhoo..

I even asked Specialized themselves:

Customer (Flame Job) 06/12/2009 03:32 PM
    I am about to order a BigHit 3 and want to fit Boxxers in place of the Domain. (Specialized UK does not bring in the Demo this year!)

The frame manual seems to be missing from the SBC site; what is the Maximum fork travel the frame will be warranted for?

Response (SBC Employee1) 06/12/2009 04:01 PM
    Hello,
    Please contact our UK offices, listed below.

SPECIALIZED UK, LTD.
    29 Barwell Business Park
    Leatherhead Road, Chessington Surrey
    KT9 2NY
    Great Britain
    Tel: +44 (0)20 8391 3500
    Fax: +44 (0)20 8391 3501
    E-mail: customerservice@specializeduk.com

Regards,

(SBC Employee)

Customer (Flame Job) 06/12/2009 04:05 PM
    Hi (Employee), thanks for the rapid response!

It’s the weekend here now. Is there a PDF version of the frame manual anywhere?

Thanks

Jason

Response (SBC Employee) 06/12/2009 04:35 PM
    Jason,
    Unfortunately I do not have the Big Hit manuals; you will also want to clarify with the UK offices, as we all have different policies around the world.

Thanks again,

(Employee)

chakaping
    Free Member

So that’s Specialized’s legendary customer service then? Passing the buck.

Nice PS job. Tasty looking fork isn’t it? I almost crumbled and ordered one myself but thought I’d start out with a s/h Domain to see if I get a taste for this DH lark.

flamejob
    Free Member

I’m thinking the same about the forks actually.

I would normally sell them as ‘new’ and slap some Retail boxed betterera ones on, but of course SBC had to put that totally gay tapered head tube on, so the forks are neigh on useless to anyone except people with 1.5 bikes who wouldn’t mind having a reducer cup in the top.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t worry about it – the diff in axle to crown height between a domain and boxxer is what, 10mm? It’s not going to make a huge difference to the way the bike handles if at all.

Personally I’d go with a totem anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Big Hit III maximum fork travel?’ is closed to new replies.