Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best/lightest 130/140mm-ish non-QR forks?
  • druidh
    Free Member

More XC than FR.
    I’d really prefer something that was user-serviceable too.
    New Revs?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Vanilla R QR15?

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

The Fox QR15 forks are very good, vanilla and float. I use them on our demo bikes and i am impressed!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have they cured the ridiculous wear issue with foxes and changed the 15 hr service routine?

nicko74

Depends what you mean by ‘best’. ‘Best for making you worry about whether they’ll last without major servicing/ stanchion scratching’ – Fox, definitely.
    ‘Best for costing you an arm and a leg, but actually being pretty good to ride’ – Revs, by the sounds of it.
    Best secondhand option could be ’08 Pikes with Maxle; I’m also wondering about Maguras, although don’t know the range v well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a set of pikes. Not the lightest but not stupidly heavy, appear well made and very simple to service.

matt_outandabout

Loving my Float 120RL QR15’s. Service does seem simple (the basic stuff at home), even more complex doesn’t seem that hard. Not to heavy, certainly stiffer.

They are pricey…..but then so are most forks these days 😐

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – coil Pikes on the Meta at the moment, but I’m in “potential new bike build” mode and wondering what else is worth considering.

freakcrab
    Free Member

Magura Thors?
    Very light for a 140mm fork with Maxle, and seem to work well too. If they don’t have top-out clunk that is.

nicko74

Do Thors wind down to 130mm? Bit worried about bunging them on my Soda at 140mm…

GW
    Free Member

modded SIDs with a nutted wheel axle 😛

Why you’d want a really light 130mm fork is beyond me.. ever ridden an old set of psylos at full travel?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Druidh,

I’ve just picked up a set of Float RLCs on ebay for £390 new. Not cheap by any standard but better than the £660 RRP. I’ve only had 4 rides on them so far but they are streets ahead of the 130 Revs that were on the bike before. They are the 140mm 15mm QR version (it’s a bolt-through axle which is “quicker” than a standard QR).

I didn’t understand what was meant by forks “packing down” until I fitted these, because they don’t do it but the Revs did. Very controlled feel.

Don’t know about longevity, but probably worth a punt…

vinnyeh

Float RLC140 qr15 here. Best forks I’ve ridden- the revelations and Pike (
    2006 models admittedly) they replaced have positively agricultural performance in comparison.

Not sure about long term durability though, keeping a close eye on them, and following all the servicing intervals etc closely.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best/lightest 130/140mm-ish non-QR forks?’ is closed to new replies.