Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Best wild animal you ever saw
  • molgrips
    Free Member

A bear!

iDave
    Free Member

white tip reef shark – internally shat myself

GaryLake
    Free Member

A Coyote and a Racoon in Yosemite, but no bears – a bit too early in spring. 🙁

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

badger

best of the animals by far

followed by basking shark, otter, bear

Junkyard
    Free Member

this country and adder lying asleep in the path it just slithered off but I was within 3 feet of it

headfirst
    Free Member

my wife, drunk, in the bedroom 😉

yunki
    Free Member

A group of VERY large carp.. all potential UK record breakers..

not very exciting for some but hugely so for me..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

King Snake in Tasmania – I was scared.
    Adder asleep in my local wood.
    Golden Eagle flying high in Torridon – huge wingspan

Would love to encounter a bear – kinda.

yunki
    Free Member

+1 for headfirsts wife BTW

gecko76

Cobra (in kitchen) in Thailand.

Moose in Canada.

Fox at entrance to shed door yesterday.

jojoA1
    Free Member

A moose by the road in Canada. In this country, a pine marten on the Learnie trails on the black isle near inverness.

ski
    Free Member

A Hammerhead shark, while swimming out to a boat mooring 100 yards out to sea, swam back a darn sight quicker, I can tell you 😉

Bike related:

Cycling in the Wyre Forest down a narrow fern lined trail, watching a load of deer running parallel to us with their heads just visiable over the ferns, for maybe 50-100 yards.

headfirst
    Free Member

yunki – oh that was you she was with? I never did get your name. Good show my man!!

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

A group of VERY large carp.. all potential UK record breakers..

not very exciting for some but hugely so for me..

Ooh where was that?! I remember seeing a group of 3 40lb+ carp when I was in France at Nash Resorts…. Trouble is, they were up at one end of the lake and my kit was over at the other!

highclimber
    Free Member

a herd of Bison in Yellowstone follwed closely by a bear crossing the road with its family in Yosemite!

thehustler
    Free Member

I have a few, Cheetah on safari in Africa, troop of over 50 elephants on the same trip

killer whale inside passage off the coast of Vancouver island and killer dolphins running with the boat same trip

a bear on vancouver island watching traffic drive past on ther road between euclet and toffino (prob spelt wrong) on vancouver island

Some very large Iguana that roamed the grounds of our hotel in Mexico

Oh and cant forget Charlie the semi wild monkey at an elephant sanctuary in thailand

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I had a pee in a ditch in France, should probably have looked first as disturbed one of these – nearly 2 metres long.

rkk01
    Free Member

Grizzly

In Europe – elk in Norway

CaptJon
    Free Member

Huge (and antlered) stag on some fire road at Kielder – he looked at me, i stopped very quickly!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a bear on vancouver island watching traffic drive past on ther road between euclet and toffino

that doesn't count, that road is known as bear alley, they aren't really bears, they are draught dodgers from toffino that have got a bit too beardy

thehustler
    Free Member

oh missed from my list a Barracuda whilst snorkelling in mexico, i went the other way…….

R979
    Free Member

A Wombat

sv

A big cat in Brittany about 50m from the road we were on, it casually walked into the woods.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Red Kites

amazing

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone seen a mole? I've only ever seen a dead one. I've had a disappointing life.

Bregante

Diving with these in the Maldives (not my photo)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not seen many…bald eagles in Canada were cool.

But most special recently was an otter quietly swimming along by the bank when out on a night row earlier this year. Me and the guy behind me nearly wet ourselves we were so delighted to see it.

ski
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Anyone seen a mole? I've only ever seen a dead one. I've had a disappointing life.

Yep, you would be amazed how quickly they can move and dig 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

Being serious now, as a kid living in S Africa I saw a blue whale

thepurist

I saw my first great white shark on a flat calm day off S Africa – we'd been chumming the water and I still remember seeing a dark shadow underwater then two little whirlpools appeared on the surface just before the fin broke the water in a classic Jaws style. Shame that one cleared off before we could get the cage in as it was about 5.5m. Superb animals.

yossarian
    Free Member

Golden Eagle flying high in Torridon – huge wingspan

yep, I've seen one up there too – it was way up but looked huge

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

In this country I've spotted a Pine Marten while cycling down a forestry track into Killin.

Abroad. An otter while snorkelling in Menorca. And the scariest of the lot…… a skunk in a park in Vancouver. It could have been a great white as far as I was concerned! 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Probably Red Kite in the UK, saw all sorts of odd critters in Aus.

I've also seen most UK species of bat, but they're not particularly impressive in looks.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Lions eating an elephant's afterbirth in Zimbabwe

A lynx here in Switzerland (whilst biking). Never get tired of seeing wild mountain ponies either.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Swordfish – big one swimming along beside the boat for ages – very cool

nbt

Saw Ospreys, Golden eagles, Capercaillie and red squirrels when up in Aviemore last month, fabulous.

Seen the red kites @ Nant yr-arian, but that's a bit false as there's a breeding / feeding centre – not proper wild stuff. Still a fantastic sight though

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Red Kites and some seriously testosteroned up stags in the UK.

LOADS of black bears in Canada some pretty close up – they look quite cuddly. 3 adolescent grizzlys whilst out in the back country. Very definitely NOT cuddly!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

red kite
    badger
    bittern
    red squirrel (not that rare but still cool)
    avocet
    Stoats (on a regular basis on Win Hill)
    Mole

midlifecrashes

Mother and baby elephant in Kenya, leopard too.
    Bear and moose in the mountains in USA
    Wolf fish while diving in UK
    Grey whales and Orcas in North Pacific
    Baby Robin in the woods behind the Natwest bank in Swindon

ski
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

I saw my first great white shark on a flat calm day off S Africa – we'd been chumming the water and I still remember seeing a dark shadow underwater then two little whirlpools appeared on the surface just before the fin broke the water in a classic Jaws style. Shame that one cleared off before we could get the cage in as it was about 5.5m. Superb animals.

Now that's something I would love to see, safe on a boat that is!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Best wild animal you ever saw’ is closed to new replies.