Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Best Washing machine?
  • CHB

Washing machine makeing funny bearing noise, think its about to die.
    Its 14 years old and an indesit, so owes us no favours.

Whats good out there to replace it with?

Want something that is well built with excellent engineering rather than one that has 300 settings and an OLED display built in.
    We live in Yorkshire and don't have a water meter so water conservation is not a concern.

Suggestions?

loddrik
    Free Member

They all wash clothes, White goods n all that…

CHB

And cars all have four wheels and an engine of some type. Your point is?

😉

footflaps

AEG – well built, simple controls, high spin speed..

petrieboy

You've just specified a Miele.

Hip
    Free Member

Our local non affiliated washing machine repair man advised us to buy bosch as they are reliable, well built and parts are easily available…

Also not to bother with fancy features as their not worth the extra cash.

We have the classixx 6 1200 and it does the job, had it around a year now with no problems.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol i had this problem a few weeks ago ( wow if you,ve had your machine for 14 years then thats a massive bonus….. my washer died after just 3 years. it started with gently banging noises then few weeks later huge banging noises like thunder…. my particular machine had all integrigated parts and was going to cost 150 pounds or more to fix it…
    so we got a new washer from 'B & Q warehouse' it was an Indesit …in the sale for 179.00 great bargin…hope it lasts 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

We have an old £190 Servis from Curries iirc.

Still making no ill noises after 2 children in washable nappies and 9 years. Apart from not having much in the way of features (ours is the old sort with a huge rotary 'switch' that ticks its way round rather than anything remotely computerised), we also mostly use the slower of the 2 spin settings which I suspect has slowed the process of shaking itself (and the kitchen!) to bits.

When that one packs up I'll be shopping for as near as I can to the same thing.

trout
    Free Member

We looked at these http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/index.php?id=1186065672
    when ours died last year and nearly splashed the cash but then inherited the mum in laws old clunker so may look at them again when it goes belly up .
    had 5 washing machines in 25 years so have spent a similar sum as a new one of the above .

Hohum
    Free Member

We have a Miele and it is very good quality.

epicyclo

Best washing machine?

A wife

(someone had to say it 🙂 )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My Zanussi recently died of broken bearings, aged 10. So I got another Zanussi delivered today.

tomhughes46

Having lived in a few student houses I would say NOT a Hoover, Candy or Hotpoint. AEG in current house died recently, but was very very old skool. Now have a £130 s/h Zanussi and seems to be ok other than a failed door catch. Not bad testers given 5 users w/ wetsuits, bike kit, rugby kit etc. maybe Which? should hire us…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Another vote for zanussi

jordie
    Free Member

bosch although i have only had it 2 months What every you get don`t get a candy they are a POS

MrNutt
    Free Member

LG works a treat.

matt_outandabout

LG works a treat.

Agreed.

CHB

Trout, that looks brilliant. Anything with brushless motors and Volvo bearings gets my vote. Shame about the cost! The LG direct drive ones look interesting.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Miele. Mine has a 10 year warranty.

andy_hamgreen

miele +1

adam82
    Free Member

miele buy once and buy quality, think it will be cheaper as well in the long run

CHB

OK, miele is tempting.
    So is LG.
    My dad used to repair washing machines and fridges, so I know what I want, and its a well engineered machine that has great bearings, good quality motor and other components.
    The option of delaying wash by an hour or three sounds good, as does something with a bigger load capacity.

Beloved wifey thinks any more than £200 is a waste… I need to educate that we NEED to spend more. Am currently trying comparisons between my mates rover 216 and her Volvo V40! Good engineering costs money.

Specific model numbers that people have/recommend would be most welcome.
    Thanks.

kiwijohn

We just got a Samsung washer/dryer with our wedding money. All good so far, though we only use the dryer occaisionly.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

We have had our LG for 4 years,And its been excellent.Me biking and my Missus and daughter horse riding,Its kept busy,Mud and horse hair.

jwt
    Free Member

Maytag,Miele,LG.
    Depending on budget.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We've got a Indesit, was the cheapest one in the shop when we got married at £220. 11 years later it's still charging away, silent as the day we bought it despite having 4 house moves, tons of filthy cycling kit through it and no love at all during our ownership.

I did buy an integrated washer/dryer when I refitted the kitchen as I thought it would look better. It lasted 2 days then I took it back out and dragged the old Indesit back into service as the new one was total crap in comparison.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Miele again.

thinktank
    Free Member

Miele swamp the top 10 Which Best Buys. Pricey, but by all accounts the best clean and the best reliability.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got a 12yr old AEG which stopped working for the first time last month.Repair man fixed it for £70(just needed some new bushes).He said the new AEG's are not a patch on the old ones so if I were going to buy a new washing machine it would be a miele.

TiRed

Miele, end of debate. Buy one up from the cheapest in the range and ignore all the whizz-bang "features". Everyone use 40C cotton, and a spin of over 1000 RPM.

Ours has been faultless for over 10 years (the standard warranty). Now if you'd asked about tumble driers…

TiRed

You asked for models… This one…

One of the things about recommending Miele is that they last so long that you can't buy the ones people already have! Mine was first generation honeycomb drum.

Buy cheap, buy twice… Your wife will be more annoyed by one that was cheaper and breaks down.

Pieface

Loads of people will recommend Bosch. I have a Bosch and all the complicated bits like the electronics have been fine for the best part of 4 years. However the front door has broken twice in this period. Not catastrophically and cheap and easy to replace, but its such a p poor design It amazes me.

organic355
    Free Member

I would get one of these personally:

Rio

I asked Mrs R how old our Siemens washing machine is this morning as I was surprised it's still as quiet as it was when it was new. She said 10 years. It's never gone wrong, and if it ever breaks beyond repair I wouldn't hesitate to get another. She was washing a door-mat in it at the time, which didn't seem to faze it at all.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Had 2 Bosch and one Miele.

When the Miele died, I bought a Bosch which lasted about 10 years before needing a set of brushes, then the driver board burned out a couple of weeks later.

Still bought another Bosch as it was cheap. I was also mindful of the fact that modern machines aren't engineered to last and that the missus canes the life out of these things day in day out.

LG sounds promising. Might give them atry next time.

TheTompy
    Free Member

Hotpoint Aqualtis.

If anyone wants a Hotpoint, Indesit or Cannon (cooking stuff not cameras) appliance at discount rates then get in touch.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

im going to jinx myself but our 7 years old Beko cheap as chips bottom of the range one form currys still going strong

Grimy
    Free Member

Had my hotpoint Aquarious washer dryer for just over 6 years. Nout special, cost me £200 for a B grade one with a slight dent in the side which you dont see sandwiched between the kitchen units. Asthetically pleasing and matches the rest of my kitchen applience suite in graphite, unlike some of the quite frankly ugly miele stuff at 5 times the price.

Runs almost daily with either the usual laundy, dirty bike gear, or the fury vet bedding from my fiancee's guinne pigs.

In 6 years, the drain pump blocked once with fur, and the heater cutout thermostat needed re-setting when we used the dryer function for the first time in 12 months. (fan was a little sticky). Neither cost anything to fix other than an hour of my time and were due to what could be considered abuse.

Sorry I saved £700+ on a miele or the likes……err Nope.

Still I guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

My mums cheapy 8 yr old hotpoint needed its first repair last month too. A new door seal after her pet chewed it. £19 delived of ebay + 30 minutes to fit. 8)

Bunnyhop

Miele here too. Anything cheap is false economy imo.

Although I did have a hotpoint in the 1990's which lasted 14 years and only broke down once.

uplink
    Free Member

Our current Bosch is around 10 yrs old & gets used 2-3 times every day
    I've replaced the motor brushes twice but nothing else has needed attention

I'd buy another

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Best Washing machine?’ is closed to new replies.