Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best UK-specific Ti frame?
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

Love my orange r8 but thinking about going lighter with a Ti frame, but only if I can get good mud clearance to run 2.35 tyres.
    Also only am interested in steep seat/head angles, (like the Charge Duster Ti), not slacker ones (like the On-one 456 ti).
    I could get a frame through family in the US but the Moots, Litespeed frames, as far as I can tell have hardly any clearance in the rear.
    Whyte Ti, same story; Van Nicklas too.
    I think Charge Duster is the one?
    Also, concerned the titanium won’t be as stiff as good steel? thoughts?

sambob
    Free Member

Cotic Soda?

ericemel
    Free Member

Speak to (Justin) Burls – he’ll make exactly what you want at a good price

But the soda ticks the boxes too

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve had a TI456, Great, but don’t ignore Scandium too! It could be a very good alternative.

yossarian
    Free Member

Love my orange r8 but thinking about going lighter with a Ti frame

You’d be better spending an equivalent amount on other kit, save more weight that way.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

that’s the one, thanks, hadn’t thought to look at Cotic. proper XC stretch on the top tube and looks like stiff pedaling power, too.
    a bit cheaper than the charge as well.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I do have some light kit, Stans ZTR hubs and Crest wheels, pace RC 31 carbon fork, even looking at KCNC 12-25 cassette at the moment(118 g)
    But I don’t want to lose the stiffness of steel.
    I checked out the Burls, nice-looking Ti but didn’t look like as much clearance
    I wonder if scandium has the zing or ping or whatever it is of steel or ti? And in frames with UK specific clearance?

BadlyWiredDog

Ti Piglet with a reversed angleset to steepen the steering slightly? Yes, I know it’s a bit left field as an idea, but you’d have proper direct pedalling if the Ragley Ti is anything to go by and as much tyre clearance as you can eat…

rewski
    Free Member

Enigma Ego Ti – beautifully handmade in sussex – the steel version is nice too – ridden both.

Mister-P
    Free Member

What sort of angles are you looking for?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/latitude-ti/geometry

messiah
    Free Member

Whyte has huge mud clearance – easy enough for 2.35″.

rewski
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to get a 2011 whyte

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Glad to hear the Whyte has the clearance, didn’t look like it when I eyed it up in Leisure Lakes — too slack though. Was looking for proper 70 or 71/73 angles.
    Genesis is interesting, heard some poor reports about the build quality on the ti version, though.
    thanks for the Enigma and Ragley ideas, will look at those

emaroid
    Free Member

Ti alpine hmmmm…

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Ti duster FTW

jameso

genesis ti comes from a very reputable factory, ie the best in taiwan, so build quality should be up there. you may be suprised by what else they make there.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about a Pipedream Sirrus Ti, 69ha with 130mm fork apparently and big rear clearance

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for Pipedream.

I have the earier Nevis Ti and there is plenty of room for a 2.35″.

Quality is excellent and is currently built as a 20.2lb XC machine.

Pipedream claim 0.5″ each side of a genuine 2.3″ on the newer Sirius and it is just £790.

http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_ti_2010.html

PaulD

stormy
    Free Member

I love my Whyte Ti running 2.2 Tyres with not problems

Thought of the soda and looked at 456 as well.

Stormy

walleater

One that doesn’t crack after a few weeks? I’m struggling to think of an example though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best UK-specific Ti frame?’ is closed to new replies.