Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best tyre's for Sherwood Pines???
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Just moved back to Nottingham from Mid Wales and want to get out to sherwood pines next week but will my Bontager XR4’s which are designed for loose rocky conditions be a death trap on the much muddier singletrack in Nottingham???

I’m riding with 26 Crests,

Anyone recommend maybe a decent all round tubeless tire that can handle most Trail centres?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST both ends 20psi 90% of my rides, Wales, Trail Centres, Europe. Really muddy? I run a 2.4HR II upfront tubeless and 2.35 LUST on rear.

brakes
    Free Member

I found my black tyres worked best when I used to ride there.

simon1975

Notts is generally sandy rather than muddy. Ride it with what you’ve got and then decide if you want to change!

mrjmt
    Free Member

When I last rode there in the wet, my NN / RR combo was far better than the wifes aspens (unsurprisingly).

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to think that the “what tyres for…” lines that are used in the chat forum where just a joke. Now I understand 🙂

Do people actually switch tyres for “trail centre” riding?

crush83
    Free Member

i ride sherwood nearly every sunday,

i have maxxis Highroller II 2.4 front and rear and just use them everywhere in all conditions.

they get me through stuff like sherwood and FOD through trails like cannock and did W2 on them a bit back.

dizcostix
    Free Member

even slicks would do at sherwood pines – Momentum from riding on the flat will take you up the steepest climbs!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try your tryes and see how they fare?
    Tyre choice is massively subjective, how you ride and what pressure you run your tyres make a massive difference.
    Me? I have a few combos depending on the prevailing conditions / time of year. So for winter I have tyres that grip well in mud / wet, spring autumn tyres that are faster rolling at the expense of wet grip and for summer I have some slightly slicker / worn tyres that are fast and light. Guess which I’ve got on at the moment???

bowglie

Sure you’ll be fine on your XR4’s.

I’ve used XR4’s in Pines quite a bit and they were pretty good on any surface in there, and for a fully treaded tyre, they roll very well on the firmer sections. Even with the c**p weather we’ve been having, it’s really not that muddy in there, certainly not worth putting specific tyres on for.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it April 1st?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ya want an Schwalbe Ditchfinder on the front & a Maxxis Highside on the back,although them Chinese livelongs are very good !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2, normally

chiefgrooveguru

I found the pre-2012 XR4s to be remarkably good in mud.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I find round one’s work well.

brakes
    Free Member

Sherwood Forest?
    Tyre Fruck?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Some helpful answers that really have pointed out to me that it won’t make massive differences, I appreciate those who gave a helpful answer,

For those who didn’t, thank you too xxx 😐

oldnick

The ride to ‘pines is more demanding of your tyres than the red route.

With 25/30 psi f/r the Crossmarks that were still on the Anthem worked perfectly well if a little wandery in the gloopiest bits, Advantages are a safe bet. Pretty much run wot ya brung really.

The real question after riding there is “what washing powder to get the black stains off my gear?”

The ride to ‘pines is more demanding of your tyres than the red route.

Ohh oldnick spot on! I ride there and it’s true

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I drive there, what tyres for my car?

spanishfly
    Free Member

Sigh……

spanishfly – Member
    Sigh……
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Lol@the audibly loud ‘& attention seeking’ sigh

bigdean

Its not tyres that you have to think about its your back. For some reason the red route gives me back ache as soon as i ride it (other people have mentioned this too). Shame really as it only a few miles away. There are far better trails around but with this weather most of it is a bog fest.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

back ache = tight hamstrings or poor core strength.

Get it from pushing the bike into all of the dips – bit like the old ‘thetford back’

sadly i know this after duffing my back there last year when it was dead fast and dry. didnt warm up and was determined to catch the guys in front (which i did). But it wasnt worth the pain sadly.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre's for Sherwood Pines???’ is closed to new replies.