Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Best TV drama in a while – Generation War
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

If you didn’t watch Generation War on BBC2 last night, suggest you catch up on iPlayer.

Superb.

Gives a very interesting German viewpoint of WW2.

Alcopop
    Free Member

caught the last half of it purely by accident looks great
    nice to see something with a different slant on things
    ill catch up with it on iPlayer

wingnuts

Bloody good. Could have stood as a drama on its own so it’ll be interesting to see how the series pans out.

Alex

Thanks for that. Just watched it. Superb. Looking forward to the next one but you can’t help thinking it’s not going to end well! I’ve read loads of WW2 military history from the Allies side. But this is really compelling stuff – fantastically well made and not ducking anything.

alpin
    Free Member

well worth waching…

wasaired here in schermany last year.

very good. and nice to see that the BBC don’t dub it into english.

sturmeyarcher

I watched all 3 episodes back-to-back on a Virgin flight a couple of months ago. Superb telly, very compelling. Watch it.

sparksmcguff

Just watched it based on this thread. Very good and agree with alpin that it’s great the beeb didn’t dub it. Love watching stuff in German even if the translations not what i think it should be.

dannyh
    Free Member

Watched it on iPlayer last night – an excellent film and now I need to see parts 2 and 3 – although it might not be comfortable viewing.

It was pretty unflinching (I’m not just talking about the atrocities) – the moral dilemmas that the perverse system around the characters caused were laid bare.

Alphabet

gobuchul: Thanks for the heads up or I would have missed this excellent drama.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for the forum posting (IT’S NOT A BLOODY “HEADS UP”!), I will check it out 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Whens episode 2 on? I happened across the first one by accident too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It was excellent, but upsetting so be prepared 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whens episode 2 on? I happened across the first one by accident too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042v5xl/episodes/guide

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s about as believable as the story of a second world war bomber being found on the moon.

Quite fancy the blonde nurse, though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Stand by for the p155 being ripped out of it by a doctored Youtube video of “Downfall”… 😆

DezB
    Free Member

It’s about as believable as the story of a second world war bomber being found on the moon.

What? The whole 90 minutes?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No apparent awareness of Nazi ideology re: the Jewish friend. The idea that the older brother thought the conduct of the war had been “honourable” before the instructions to shoot prisoners and the like.

Operation Barbarossa resulting apparently in one damaged tank on the roadside.

The Captain’s speech about a “new” kind of war – Germans as the Master Race – as if this wasn’t apparent from Nazi propaganda from the get-go.

A minefield laid in the middle of a forest swamp miles from anywhere.

No sign of German air cover.

And so on…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, watching TV with you must be a barrel of laughs. 🙄

No apparent awareness of Nazi ideology re: the Jewish friend.

Missed the point I think. The fact is there were some Germans who weren’t Nazis.

You never picked up on the fact that the platoons seemed to have a lot of MP40’s, when the majority of soldiers would of being using Karabiner 98k rifles.

Why did his brother go towards the Russian lines to get their food?

The lack of air cover and few damaged tanks is simply a matter of budgets.

How do you know the forest swamp was miles from anywhere?

It’s fiction, set in a historical context. It’s not a documentary.

hora
    Free Member

No sign of German air cover.

In what way? The Luftwaffe was stretched thin by the speed of the advance, the supply lines across vast territory/from Romanian oil fields to resupply, partisan attacks at the rear etc.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

As in completely absent, h.

hora
    Free Member

I imagine at somepoint the Wehrmacht would have said the samething too as the Russians straffed and shot them up 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The fact is there were some Germans who weren’t Nazis.

The fact is, these characters seemed to have no awareness of the politics of their situation, unbelievable for Germans in 1941. Missed the point, I think.

You never picked up on the fact that the platoons seemed to have a lot of MP40’s, when the majority of soldiers would of being using Karabiner 98k rifles.

Why did his brother go towards the Russian lines to get their food?

“And so on”… Perhaps you missed that bit.

Don’t quite get the reference to it being a drama. The historical context is full of holes. Doesn’t help.

Still, nurses, eh? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I thought it was a story about 5 friends

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

A dog? Racist!

hora
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, watching TV with you must be a barrel of laughs.

I wonder where he puts his hands.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why’s that, then?

dannyh
    Free Member

Second episode tonight.

Might take some convincing the missus to let me have it on (she doesn’t like violent and/or nasty) stuff, but I almost feel obliged to watch it.

Easily the best thing that has been on telly for months IMO.

I can’t see all five characters making it to the end. There is a probably apocryphal story of a tram in Berlin running just as the Russians were approaching. The civilians on board were speculating about how bad it was going to be and hoping for the best. One occupant who had served on the eastern front and been wounded just silenced the tram by saying “if the Russians do one tenth of what we’ve done on the eastern front, there won’t be a single living German”.

Chilling stuff and the Russians exacted a brutal and terrible revenge on their rampage westwards. Never many war crimes trials if you are the victors, though.

boxelder

Postponed while some juveniles with 5hit hair poke some balls around with sticks.
    👿

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hasn’t the brother bought it already?

It’s ok. Happy watching world class snooker tbh.

boxelder

He lives…..

natrix
    Free Member

He lives…..

Oh, thanks for the spoiler 👿

boxelder

I’m straying towards woppit – too much unlikely/unbelievable stuff. The timescales all seem skewed.

Spoiler? It’s been on the TV – are we not allowed to discuss it for 40 yrs now?
    Don’t open a thread about it if you want not to know.
    I think we can assume they all make it through a few episodes…….

natrix
    Free Member

Don’t open a thread about it if you want not to know.

So long as you don’t tell me which side wins 👿

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Best TV drama in a while – Generation War’ is closed to new replies.