Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best things to do in SW Scotland.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

On hols there from Thursday and can't wait! Staying in the back of beyond which is great but any ideas of what to do during the days with the kids.? Beaches, woods, walking, castles etc etc. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best things to do in SW Scotland

Head South or a lot further North.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As in Greenland??

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Cream o galloway near gatehouse of fleet.

Coco bean chocolate factory near Twynholm.

Drumlanrig castle.

Sandyhills beach.

Plenty to do round hear. If I think of any others I'll post more.

Keith.

Hohum
    Free Member

Logan Botanic Garden.

Quite different to your normal British gardens and something you would not expect to see up in Scotland!

Gordy
    Free Member

The Merrick for walking, Sandyhills for beach, Dalbeattie for woods, Threave Castle for castle. Your kids might like Dalscone or Cream o' Galloway.

Equally, they could all be chuffing miles away because I don't know where you'll be staying.

Balcay Bay hotel is nice for dinner but don't waste it on the kids! ;O)

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Oh.

Mabie farm park.

Gordy
    Free Member

Red Kite Trail

Usually some sort of festivities on in Kirkcudbright on Thursday nights in July and August – pipe bands, dancing, etc.

Jubilee Path to Rockcliffe from Kippford and out to Castle Point and back is a nice walk btw.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We're staying in port William, bout 30 ish minutes from Newton Stewart.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

You really are in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/ is close by as is the Logan botanical gardens mentioned earlier.

Closest trail centre will be kirrie.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah got your tips earlier on the previous post, thanks trekster. Bring on the wilderness!

stompy26
    Free Member

you will find loads of things to do up hear, mull of galloway light house, pony treking just to name a few and the bike shop has a family rate of £40. for half a day. you really should bring your bikes up there is loads of tracks over the farm, and if you are really nice to the caretaker i am sure he will show you some of the best bits for mtb..LOL

Trekster

you really should bring your bikes up there is loads of tracks over the farm, and if you are really nice to the caretaker i am sure he will show you some of the best bits for mtb..LOL

Tell me more stompy 😉

hels
    Free Member

Send the wife and kids to Museum of Costume and go out on your bike ?

failedengineer

Caelaverlock wetlands centre if you like (feathered) birds. Have a walk up Criffel on a clear day for fab views.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Withorn dig. Saw it about 20 years ago stil think it was cool.

kevonakona
    Free Member

OH and definitely go there. Lots to do, as we've seen from above, and some pretty good hills, take the kids into the Dark Sky area, get the brochure from Kirroughtree mtb centre. It's the only designated dark sky "park" in the country and the stars are pretty impressive. I take DofE groups there just so i can buzz round on me bike and then stare at the stars with a "special lemonade" in my hand.

Trekster

failedengineer – Member
    Caelaverlock wetlands centre if you like (feathered) birds. Have a walk up Criffel on a clear day for fab views.

Caerlaverock was my playground when I was a boy when it was still a farm before Sir Peter got his hands on it. Used to ride my bike across the feilds, merse and the sands, does that make me the oldest mtber on here ❗ Parents still live down that way 😆

The path up Criffel is being "improved"

ComradeD
    Free Member

used to live down by the coast, beautifull part of the world. Take trip down to the isle of whithorn and wigtown is worth checking out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best things to do in SW Scotland.’ is closed to new replies.