Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best MTB slick tyre?
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

I want to use these on road and fire roads for training. Also want to run it tubeless. Bigger volume OK.
    I like the look and weight of the Maxxis Xenith (tho not a lot of volume there) but it might be a road-only tyre.

jekkyl

Continental travel contact ime

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Schwalbe CX Comp?

nathaneddy
    Free Member

nice, will check those out

flap_jack
    Free Member

Specialxed fatboy. 100 psi recommended.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

that’s a lot of psi.

deejayen
    Free Member

I’m using Michelin Advanced Wild Run’r on Stan’s Podium rims filled with Cafe Latex. I was told to pump them up to an absolute maximum of 40psi. Anyway, they seem to work very well on my recumbent – they’re light, seem quite fast, and also very comfy! I’m not exactly sure what a fire road is, but they’ve been fine on wee lanes and typically rough road surfaces.

Klunk
    Free Member

quite big volume, cheap but heavy (but good for punctures) hurricanes.

billytinkle
    Free Member

The fastest I’ve run are Schwalbe Kojaks – easy to get on and off the rim, protection strip, very light and comfortable in the 2″ version. Not too expensive either. I like them lots.

If I wanted something a bit more off road capable I’d be looking at kenda small black 8’s – I’ve not double checked, but I hear they are recommended up to 80psi.

Edit – The only other thing I’d mention is that running tubeless may not allow you to run the higher pressures you’d want for the road. For example if you were running Stan’s rims that only allow up to certain pressures when run tubeless.

rewski
    Free Member

I was just about to say kojak if you want real slick, I run small block 8’s during the dryer months, pumped up real hard they’re fine on tow paths, not used them much on roads and tarmac though. You might want to look at schwable marathon plus too.

composite
    Free Member

I quite like Maxis Aspen. They aren’t slicks but they are low profile and roll pretty fast.

IA

Have a look at schwalbe sammy slicks too. Not actually completely slick, you get some grip there.

Northwind

I’m swinging between 2 inch kojaks and 2.35 supermotos- I’ve had big apples before and liked them but they were pretty heavy, hence supermotos. Can’t decide which to go for now… Anyone tried both?

I think the kojaks are the right choice probably but I just like the fat tyres 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Although not a slick by any means,I use Conti Race King protections for commuting. These give me the freedom to divert to off road with confidence, seem fast enough for tarmac for me (I always find tarmac dull apart from the and treat it as exercise anyway) and you have the added benefit of sounding like a tie fighter above 30 mph!! 😀

nikk
    Free Member

2.35 supermotos are awesome. Run them at 25psi for off road (watch the mud though!), and about 40psi on road. Great cushioning, surface area, float on soft ground. Obviously weak on mud, wet rock, and other places where chunky tyres are king, but ride withing their limits, and they are lovely. Good for touring, training rides with mixed surfaces, hanging with rodies etc.

lovewookie

I’m using double fighters for fire roads/canal paths and light offroading. not noticing any additional rolling resistance over the slickosaurus tyres I had on before, but am noticing a bit more grip on looser stuff.

run about 65psi in them.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’m swinging between 2 inch kojaks and 2.35 supermotos- I’ve had big apples before and liked them but they were pretty heavy, hence supermotos. Can’t decide which to go for now… Anyone tried both?

I think the kojaks are the right choice probably but I just like the fat tyres

Not quite the same, but I was on Maxxis Holy Rollers before the Kojaks. At 750ish grams a tyre it was instantly noticeable moving over to the fly weight Kojaks. The speed difference was not only noticeable, but impressive.

That said, I much preferred the look of the Holyrollers.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Good stuff. My LBS was able to get me a pair of wired Kojaks cheap so I’ve gone for those. It’s a training tyre for me to save the wear on my pricier tyres so I went for value over weight.
    Maybe a dumb question, but can I run a wired tyre tubeless?
    I know I can’t run as pressures as high, but I like the feel of tubeless.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best MTB slick tyre?’ is closed to new replies.