Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best DX type light from within the UK?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

So I’m doing Relentless 24 next weekend as a pair, and kind of don’t have any lights..

I would like a headtorch (not too bothered about bar mounted as long as head is bright enough). Adjustable brightness would be good (brighter for descents of course)

Any recommendations, considering I need it by Friday latest.

Something like this (mod to mount to Giro Hex)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inton-XM-L-T6-Head-Lamp-1000-lumen-rated-led-/300780925585?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4607f0b291&_uhb=1#ht_2357wt_1139

Or this, plus a load of zipties?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yezl-Q2-100m-Diving-Torch-CreeXM-L-T6-1000-lumen-rated-LED-4-brightness-levels-/300777077691?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4607b5fbbb&_uhb=1#ht_3978wt_1271

I know that the run time won’t be too great, but happy to get a few spare batteries, keep charging them up and rotating them.

Any recommendations would be great.

Ta, Duane.

jodafett

I’ve just bought the Exposure Diablo and its great. Helmet mounted with loads of different settings. I’ve been using the 3rd setting which gives a medium brightness burn time of 6hrs and can easily be switched to a brighter setting for descents. You can also buy a piggy back battery pack which clips onto the light but don’t know how much more burn time this will give.

Duane…
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s well out of my budget! Looking to spend under £50 ideally (I have a charger for DX type batteries), but could stretch to £60ish.

tomhoward

Item no 110940880284

1200 lumens, £32.90. Pretty impressed with it considering the price!

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds good.

Is there an easy way to mount it to the helmet?

And do you mount the battery on the frame? The good thing about getting a standard torch + zipties is that it’s all together with the batteries (weight on head doesn’t bother me too much..)

tomhoward

It comes with a headmount, which it just about stretchy enough to fit round a lid (though I use a proper helmet mount from another light set) I’ve managed to mount the battery to my lid, though I haven’t used it in anger. Worst case you would put it in a bag/jersey pocket, as the cable is more than long enough.

Duane…
    Free Member

OK, thanks.

Guess I’d have to bodge up a mount then, don’t fancy using the elastic.

Can you get spare batteries? What kind of runtimes are you getting (and how to charge back up)?

Ta, Duane.

tomhoward

Dunno yet, only arrived t’other day, and only used it up and down the road! Give me a week and I’ll report back!

Edit, not looked into spare batteries yet, pretty sure mtb batteries would be able to sort one though,

RustyMac

If you have a DX battery and charger you may be better with a standard head unit to pair with the battery pack, I’d expect you could get more for your money that way.

If you decide to go down the head unit only option try contacting smudge at mtbbatteries as he may have one within your budget and he normally is very quick with postage.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks.

Sorry, what do you mean by a standard head unit? As tomhoward posted above? Can you get ones which accept standard DX batteries?

Duane…
    Free Member

Any other recommendations?

falkirk-mark

I used one of these the other night along with my DX and I have to say I reckon you would get away with 2 of these the only thing is I do not know about runtime or longer term reliability but they only use one AA Battery but I got 24 duracells for a fiver off Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160708522902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

footflaps

Try http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk – great service and only a small premium for UK supplier.

RustyMac

What I was meaning is you could pick up something like One of these and a helmet mount and use your own battery.

The link looks like it could be a uk shop but I have never used them. As I said smudge at MTBbatteries may be able to sort you out with something too if he has leftover bits from lights.

Muke
    Free Member

I ordered a Chinese light with UK stock (arrived in a couple of days}

Then took the head strap mount

Cut a small slot in each side to remove straps and allow refitting if required

Threaded some velcro strip through mount

And thread strip through helmet vents to secure to helmet

Threaded cable through helmet out the back vent down to battery in backpac, has worked well so far 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

juat got one of the above. Unimpressed with sealing on battery, it is now inside a section of old inner tube which has then been wrapped in duct tape, still fits in the frame mounting bag and should get it through winter!

Had planned to so something similar with the head mount, as Ive previously used a modified ancient Niterider bracket to mount ebay torches to my helmet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best DX type light from within the UK?’ is closed to new replies.