Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Best cycle insurance now that M&S are charging full whack?
  • FOG

My M&s renewal was fairly astronomical so I tried again on the website which meant naming all bikes over a grand [3] and this was cheaper but only £50.
    After a really boring afternoon on the computer the best I came up with were Direct Line! I still had to name the bikes but the premium was half M&S. I also asked about whether the value Ihad to state was what they cost or what they would cost to replace and was told it would be original cost. I did point out that prices had risen and it could cost hundreds per bike more to replace to the same standard but they insisted it would be like for like, new for old. Oh and we had a small claim a few yeas ago not bike related and that didn’t make much diference to the premium

Rod

headfirst – our premiums are around £1200 (next renewal is Feb).

we had 4 claims between 2007 – 2009 so we lost the no claims on the contents insurance, and we can’t even get a quote from another insurer until it’s down to 2 in the last 5 years… (2 of those claims were small so we’d have not claimed if we’d been aware of this problem!)

fingers crossed that the £4k claim still applies on renewal…

headfirst
    Free Member

cheers for replies, we have got 2 yrs of no-claims, will have a sniff about, the cars are insured with direct line so might try them…but I reckon they won’t be interested. Hiscox sounds interesting.

There is an Endsleigh insurance broker near us, thought I might go and see what they can do, anyone any experience of them?

Rod

John Lewis allow 2 claims in the last 5 years (subject to the amount) – unfortunately that still ties us into M&S for another 2 years!

ART

Let us know how you go headfirst.

I’m sitting here waiting for my M&S renewal to hit the doormat. For the last couple of years their attempts at new premiums have been ridiculous, but I’ve managed to knock them down/ reduce cover to something I can live with.. When I had a shop around for alternatives last year the whole ‘having to price bikes individually thing’ with other insurers (tried Co-op and NFU IIRC) really rocketed premiums so I ended up sticking with M&S again inspite of the price hike. Argh… honestly, there is clearly a gap in the market here for someone to exploit… given that M&S appear to have decided that all these claims don’t made it worth their while retaining the bike owning market.

br
    Free Member

Not sure about other insurers mentioned but an advantage of the M&S policies were the home/away cover – and not just on bikes. My wife has horses, and all her gear is covered too – and with saddles +£1k…

Mine is due late Jan, so lets hope we are fine.

Drac

If you want to stay with M&S then just renew on their website and let the other go expire, saves you money and no arguing needed over the phone.

hora
    Free Member

As Drac says – don’t wait for the renewal. I called mine up- it had gone up and on a new customer form it was waaaay lower. So I said what I was going to do ‘fine they said’ and the new customer offer also included a new bolt on feature for free to boot. So they agreed (recorded call) I’d be ok to go through the process as a new customer. £120 a year 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

oscillate, my renewal is due on 15th

My monthly cost has climbed from 25 to £31 in a couple years but with 3 decent bikes (and assuming it were to be sorted out ok) then I still feel I’m better off paying a lot for M and S.

aracer
    Free Member

Car insurance has rocketed recently. I struggled to get less than £600 on my 57 plate Transit (given, it’s a van) with my missus as first driver with 15 years no claims and no accidents or tickets.

Hmm – my renewal is due soon, and online quotes are actually pretty similar to last year like for like, and selecting a newer car worth ~£10k only adds on ~£50, taking it to £250. One speeding ticket, but otherwise clean and over 40 – crucially I also live in one of the lowest insurance risk areas in the country.

Yes I know it’s OT – but just to point out that insuring a £10k car can be done for a lot less than £600 (though our current house insurance is also a lot less than others are quoting, so hopefully we won’t be hit by high new premiums when we renew – I have several bikes over £2.5k, so having to name them might be costly).

br
    Free Member

Yes I know it’s OT – but just to point out that insuring a £10k car can be done for a lot less than £600

And about the same cost as third party on a moped for my teenager son…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

William Hill

ransos
    Free Member

Bummer. I’ve been with M&S for about 6 years, and have re-registered as a new customer each year ‘cos it saves about £100 over automatically renewing. Looks like bike cover is going to be spendy this year…

tlr

To be fair, m and s have been excellent in my recent claim; they paid out full value of a new bike on the basis of a picture and a list of parts, virtually the full 4k limit even though I had no receipt and I told them it was mostly second hand.

H
    Free Member

Possibly a silly question but is the insurance value per bike or per claim?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Errrm, if you’re old enough, Saga contents insurance can include named bikes for not a lot extra.

tlr

Value is per item, ie. per camera, per bike, per watch etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cost of mine with m & s is £284 renewal with 6 years NCD. I need to call them though re cover level

Atomizer

Lady Gresley – thanks – Saga looks good – specified three high value bikes and still came out less than M&S. Now to read the terms in detail. Someone in the family is eligible…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Natwest have a very good level of cover. Unlimited £ on bikes.
    Plus accidental damage and away from home cover.

Costs us £15 per month (contents only). That was because they offer to price match though, normal price would have been nearer £30 per month.

ART

Unfortunately being a ‘new customer’ isn’t an option for us with M&S. When they changed underwriter a few years back they decided we lived in a flood risk area … we don’t … and would only continue to insure us as we were an existing customer. So, will see what comes in and if it’s stupid money, then the hunt is on!

iain1775
    Free Member

Thread bookmarked, m&s renewal due late jan
    On car insurance – £10k car, £420 fully comp, business use for myself and wife, 6 years no claims, 3 points, includes hire car if mine off road, that’s cheaper than last year
    the renewal with admiral was £650, as a new customer I got it down to £510 but got cheaper still elsewhere

EdwardH

I took out a new policy with M&S last week and I was told they still had the 4K cover – I better have a good read of the paperwork when it arrives just to make sure.

swampi
    Free Member

renewed my policy on the 4th Dec and still had 4k limit and no mention on restriction for bikes.looks like i did it just in time…………..
    Eeeek just done another quote listing 12 grands worth of bike and the quote is £764 compared to £231 that i have just paid…ouch

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Hmm. My renewal quote was higher than last year (~£350 this year) but everyone else was significantly more expensive for the same level of cover.

Spoke to them on the phone and they suggested increasing my excess from £zero to £100, which took the premium (for the same cover as last year) down to ~£250.

Hope this helps someone!

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just paid Swinton £45 for up to £6000 cover on “unspecified items” (bikes) added to our household and buildings cover, which is only £270 a year.

Madfly
    Free Member

A quick question to anyone who’s had a claim with M&S,

Do they insure against the new value of the bike only? OR with the limit of 1k they would they throw out a claim of 1k against a bike that is worth more, even though i’d be happy for that as the limit?
    I guess a bike that’s worht more is more attractive to thieves and therefore a higher risk?

Or would they consider the value as 1k and they take depreciation against it?

The bikes i’d want covering have a second hand value of over a 1k but worst case if they paid out the 1k-excess then it wouldn’t be too painfull for me to find them again SH and stump up the difference.

Considering what I think the risk is i’d effectvely self insure the difference for less than the premium hike to their cover to the true value.

ART

Update: renewal arrived … with a significant increase on last year … again [sigh] Phoned to check the £4k bike issue and we are still covered. Managed to lower the premium a bit by increasing the voluntary excess again… so given the ‘value’ of this cover for our bikes at home and away from home, I will probably swallow the increase for this year. Wouldn’t it be novel if this trajectory changed, life is just getting too expensive all round … 😕

headfirst
    Free Member

*THREAD RESURRECTION*

Let us know how you go headfirst.

Well, I’ve finally got my arse in gear. Hiscox wanted details on claims over the last 5 years and as I’ve had three they’ve kicked me in to touch. Swinton (who are brokers) are only interested in the last three years and I’ve only got one claim in that time frame. As a result I’ve got an online quote of £36 p.m with Legal and General (£2.5k limit per item contents away from home), somewhat less than the £113 p.m that M & S want to charge me from 6th Jan! It seems too good to be true, so I’m going to go to my local Swinton branch tomorrow morning to check it out – whether that 2.5k limit applies to bikes too.

Stand by your beds, I’ll keep you posted. 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

£500 limit on bikes in small print… will still pay swinton a visit and see if they can do for me what they did for globalti (a few posts above)

headfirst
    Free Member

Went to Swinton, bikes were a problem – quote without them: £580, with them £3,700!!!!

Came home, did an online quote with, then phoned co-op insurance as their limit on unspecified bikes is £1000. Got my two ‘best bikes’ specified (£2000 and £1200), everything else as good as M and S cover too, and with a deposit and 10 payments the total premium is….

£697!

A SAVING OF £650 COMPARED TO M AND S!! GET IN!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 🙂

edit: WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoolander
    Free Member

Just recently had to claim with Evans cycles insurance (jlt online) can’t fault them to be honest. Perhaps the claim time was a little slow but they paid out with no problems and as I had insured the bike as a custom build – for the value of the collective parts they just paid my lbs directly and none of that voucher nonsense. The claims admin were really helpful aswell. They worked out comparable cost wise – but watch the excess if your bikes kept in a wooden shed.

Andy

Just had my renewal from M&S; £280 buildings and contents premier. As far as I can see no change to single item upto £4k – but will check further.

simon_g

Barclays was my cheapest – bikes up to £2.5k

Have just been through this and they were by far the cheapest for us – flat in North London so insurance can be astronomical, M&S wanted £350. Adding £1000 of cycle cover (they take the value of the most expensive bike, and none of mine are that posh) added about £8 to the quote, so I can’t see more expensive ones adding an outrageous amount.

ART

Nice one headfirst, it clearly pays to put in the legwork … on that note update no 2!

So thought about it some more and decided that M&S really were taking the piss. Long story short – found a quote with Sainsbury’s. They allow mountain bikes as specified items covered home and away, up to a total value of £15,000. Building and contents cover jointly qualified for a 15% discount for buying online and the cover is as per, or better than the current M&S offering in the small print with significantly reduced excess.

End result I have saved us 50% on the premium being quoted by M&S.

Wooo hoooo here too!!! 😀

scaredypants

ah 😳 I just posted a new topic on this:

renewal quote was only 10-15% more than last yr

called up to see about improving it, no way other than renew online for 30 quid off as new policy but they confirmed this would involve specifying any bike over grand, rather than four.

tried online just to see what difference was (specified 2 bikes, neither that posh) and was DOUBLE the renewal quote

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I have been right royally shafted sensless with an open bottle extra hot chilli sauce by NFU in the past when I tried to make a claim… I wouldn’t go as far as hunting down and torturing the individual policy writers, but I know where they live…
    Still, you might find them really nice people and get things sorted straight away.

iain1775
    Free Member

Art I hoPe you checked that sainsburya policy
    I just entered all my preferences and values, added the bikes on the pop up then when I went back didn’t realise it had unticked all my previous selections, saw quote at £350 thought great £140 cheaper than m&s
    Then I noticed, re did excess, personal possessions tick boxes etc so was again like for like w m&s cover and suddenly £650!!
    There website is truly appauling to use

studuck
    Free Member

Just had our m and s renewal through and the documentation talks about “items, sets or collections worth more than £4000” so I assume we still have the single item limit of £4k. Have wondered whether my bikes constitute a collection though. FWIW our policy is Contents Premier if that makes any difference

granny_ring

I asked this on here last year and was told bikes are counted as single items not a collection

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Best cycle insurance now that M&S are charging full whack?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM