Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best CX Around £1000?
  • christunn
    Free Member

Hi guys first post but an important one!

I’m looking to get a CX bike just to train for the summer/ard’ Rock and I think CX will be the best way to go.

I love the Planet X XLS (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV1/planet-x-xls-sram-rival-1-clincher-cyclocross-bike) but I’m not sure if there’s any other bikes I should be looking at for around the same sort of price?

Second hand ain’t an option as I just don’t have the cash at the minute!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I got a Kona Jake for my birthday last year. £999 rrp but it is a 2015 bought on special offer.

Not the lightest or best spec’d bike in the world but I am really enjoying it.

parkesie
    Free Member

Boardman cx team is worth a look sram rival hydro for 900 on sales less your British cycling discount or any other you can apply. 12 months interest free aswell.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/marin-four-corners-2016-9688-p.asp is £500 for the 2016 XL, or £700 for the 2017 variants.

ElShalimo

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – have you got one?

christunn
    Free Member

Take it there’s nothing Carbon for that price elsewhere then? I did see the boardman, still a pretty good entry level bike I take it?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@ElShalimo No, not got one, just an interesting CX deal I saw the other day. It’s the only dropbar CX I know that can accommodate 29×2.1″ tyres (or 45mm with full guards).

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve had an XLS for 3 years now. It’s very adaptable and takes a battering. You’ll struggle with tyres wider than 35mm though. I’ve got 38mm on at the moment and it’s not great!

Other than that though it has been really good.

GHill

Do you want a CX race-type bike or something pushing into the adventure bike category (or whatever it’s being called these days)?

Alpkit Sonder Camino Alloy look to be good value for the latter.

christunn
    Free Member

Well races are something I’ve thought about in the future but just something that’s a bit ‘do it all’. Think the Alpkit might be slightly out of my price range. Just seems the spec of the XLS outweighs the rest of the bikes around that sort of price.

@theboyneeds – Why do the tyres struggle? Too big for the frame or is it something to do with the wheelset?

jobro
    Free Member

Don’t dismiss the Merlin bike. Its the same bike frame as the top of the range Ridley from a few years back. Absolute bargain and infinite potential to upgrade.

AD

I bought one just before Christmas – but with the Apex 1 group set. Its been a great bike so far. Wheels aren’t great to be honest but for the £800 I paid they’ll be fine until they wear out!
    I like the ‘old fashioned’ threaded bb. The 57 frame weighed under 1300g and it had a full carbon fork. What’s not to like!
    Only thing I had to swap was the tyres (the ‘special’ deal came with slicks…). At some point in near future I will swap to a set of flared drops but this is just a personal preference.

christunn
    Free Member

The Merlin is out of stock in my size unfortunately but it doesn’t seem far off the XLS. Anything else I can look at?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

@christunn – chainstays don’t give much clearance.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Boardman Team when on sale + 10% off using British Cycling discount. And online vouchers/quidco. Bought mine for £650.

Only the wheel set is heavy but bombproof and it uses PF30 and mine needs a greese or replacing after riding 2000 miles in wet sloppy conditions.

igm

I got a 2016 Cannondale CAADX Ultegra for £1030.

The best? Who knows, but it’s nice.

ElShalimo

igm – isn’t Ultegra a bit expensive for CX or off road duties? I’d be worried about pranging it leading to a big bill.

igm

Possibly. But it meets budget, is no worse than using XT on a MTB and can be replaced with 105 if you prang it.

I wanted the hydraulic discs

ElShalimo

You’re clearly not as clumsy as me
    😉

christunn
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the XLS and Planet X Full Monty? Both seem suited with discs etc?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPEX1/planet-x-full-monty-sram-apex-1-hydraulic-disc-road-bike

igm

Carbon v Ali I thought

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the XLS and Planet X Full Monty? Both seem suited with discs etc?

XLS is more a CX bike. Monty is more an adventure road (or insert 2017 name for gnarmac here) bike.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best CX Around £1000?’ is closed to new replies.