• This topic has 45 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by dc1988.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Best compact bike multitool
  • Lost my trusty Crank Bros tool today that I’ve had for decades.

So what’s the best of the current crop – Topeak Alien?

Want one with a chain tool.

Ta

Kramer
    Free Member

Specialized Concealed Carry is pretty good.

I’ve got the Topeak Mini 20 Pro, small but like a SAK with all the tools!

alpin
    Free Member

Topeak Mini 20 Pro

Had one for years…. And annoyingly lost it the other week. Need to replace it ASAP.

Currently using my old (like ~20 year old) Topeak Hummer…. Very good chain tool, but the tyre lever with the 4mm hex is missing rendering it useless.

Specialized Concealed Carry

One hundred pounds? You been chugging on the kool aid?

Specialized Concealed Carry is pretty good

I have the specialized tool in my ebike that fits in a special cage under the bottle cage. That has most of what I need for the ebike.

Not looking for a swat/concealed type tool in addition to that – want a do everything tool that will be carried on 2-3 different bikes

Cheers though

I’ve got the Topeak Mini 20 Pro, small but like a SAK with all the tools!

The Alien X has caught my eye, will check out the 20 Pro. Ta

niel11
    Free Member

I’ve got the Giant Clutch storage/tools, it’s a neat way to carry everything I need.

I have the fork storage for my co2 cylinder, regulator and puncture repair patches, the crank storage has all the Allen keys I need, chain tool and quick links.

donslow

Crank brothers m19 for me, have 3 of them, never failed

Evans currently knocking them out cheap

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/crankbrothers/crank-brothers-multi-19-multitool-970358#colcode=97035810

Crank brothers m19 for me, have 3 of them, never failed

Pretty much what I’ve lost today. Not sure if mine was the 19 or had a few less tools

midlifecrashes

Topeak Hexus X would be my pick, the original Hexus has been perfect for me for many years. The tyre levers work well despite looking lightweight.

stayhigh

While I might keep casting eyes at the One Up EDC stuff, the CC M19 that’s been living in my riding pack for longer than a long thing is absolutely bombproof and would happily buy another if I lost it (please don’t make me lose it now).  For my gravel bike I got a Topeak Mini 20 Pro which is tiny with a great range of tools.

mrnmissespanda

Does anyone have one that includes master / quick link remover? I have seen that the Blackburn Tradesman does?

Panda

Kryton57

I’ve got a compact lightweight Lezyne tool, it’s been excellent for many years.   The nomenclature has change now, I believe it’s the Sv10 or similar.

dovebiker

My Lezyne SV10 still looks like new despite being 15 years old – the Topeak multi tool I bought is rusty, broken lump. SV17 looks good – worth paying the extra for the stainless SV versions

z1ppy

Replaced by frankly excellent CB 17, as the pin on chain tool wore out, with a Topeak Hexus II . Seems like it’s pretty good as I’ve happily been using it for 8 years and not felt the need for anything more, the extra ‘heads’ can be easily lost but does keep it compact. Looks at the Hexus X is the update version.

That Blackburn tool quick link remove is interesting, but removing a QL on a ride, is not something I’ve ever done.

whatgoesup

+1 for the Lezyne SV series. I’ve got two and they’re both excellent. One is the smallest they do with a chain tool, the other larger but more fully featured. The larger one is a good 15+ years old and still looks and works like new despite having had a lot of use over the years (mostly fixing other people’s bikes!)

Tried this (it was a gift) but just too fiddly:

20240506_103305

Then got one of these in a whim, not as good as a oneup:

20240506_103250

Settled on this, barely used the bugger mind:

I’m20240506_103622

Think it was in a sale, so I’m not tied to it being ‘the best’ but it works, relatively small and easy to forget about in a pack/pouch.

P20

I’ve always liked my Birzman multi tools. @ahsat has just got a topeak 30???? Which has a link breaker in it, which looks really good

mattrockwell
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus X for me. Not too pricey, all the usual hex/torx/screwdriver tools, plus chain tool and tyre levers in one.

acidchunks

Despite having a hummer/hexus for many years, I’ve never used the tyre levers.

Also have a topeak mini 20.

The tools on the hexus are more accessible (especially with cold or gloves fingers), but the mini 20 has more tools and is a neater package.

susepic

The concealed carry is great (came w the bike), assuming you don’t have any out of spec bolts on the bike. £37 feels spendy, and no bottle opener…

Small Topeak  w bottle opener & chain tool on road bike also v good. No idea which model # I’m afraid

Aidy
    Free Member

I really like the Topeak Ratchet Rocket for a slightly more workshop feel, although can be a little bit awkward for tight spaces.

Or for minimalist carry, evening spin rides, I like the Mt Zoom one.

Lezyne tools seem nice at first, but I’ve had a couple corrode horribly, seize up, and then disintegrate. I probably didn’t treat them that well, but no other multi tool I’ve had has seemed to suffer the same.

gecko76

Had one of these for years, sadly not made any more.

ferramenta-topeak-alien-rx

cerrado-tu-ruido

I’ve got a Topeak Hexus, very happy with it but no flat screwdriver or master link. Topeak Alien X, Mini PT30 & Mini P20 have a chain tool and master link tool. I don’t think the master link tools are the plier type.

Thanks for all the replies, plenty to check out

blastit
    Free Member

Crank brothers 19 for 16 quid at go outdoors plus and extra 15% off.

alpin
    Free Member

and no bottle opener…

You know it’s possible, and generally much cooler, to open a bottle without a bottle opener…..

pdw
    Free Member

I quite like my Topeak PT30 as it includes master link remover, master link storage, and a tubeless tyre worm insertion thing.

Northwind

Hexus is just excellent imo, it’s a good size, has good and easily usable tools (including a randomly good chain breaker), basically it’s the right blend of small-ish size and practicality and usefulness, there’s nothing smaller that’s worth the compromise. On the downside it’s a wee bit low quality really, it can rust and come loose over time, but that’s pretty trivial. The tyre levers are absolute crap, but that’s fine, they’re just part of the handle anyway so there’s no loss.

Alien is ideal if you ride something weird or if you think you might want to stop mid ride and build a climbing frame but mostly it’s extra tools you’ll never use, that make the tool itself far worse to use. Crank Bros make lovely tools but they’re never quite as basically practical as the Hexus (wish we could get Crank Bros or Lezyne to make stuff that Topeak design!)

susepic

[You know it’s possible, and generally much cooler, to open a bottle without a bottle opener…..]

My teeth cost too much for that alpin….

whatgoesup

“[You know it’s possible, and generally much cooler, to open a bottle without a bottle opener…..]

My teeth cost too much for that alpin….”

Any angled surface will do. A rock. Teeth (preferably someone else’s), an expensive kitchen work top etc etc. A lighter works, or spoon handles, the rocker link of someone else’s bike and so on

Anything but a bottle opener – I though that was the law

mau00149
    Free Member

Came across this one in the alpkit store the other day, very similar to an old bbb tool I liked/have (bbb dont seem to do it any more.)

Sonder Trailside 20

reeksy

Does anyone have one that includes master / quick link remover?

Oneup EDC in their small pump is what I use – fits in hip a pack and i never ride without that if i’m more than 5 mins from my car. It includes a quick link remover that I can’t fathom however many times I’ve looked at the video. However, it’s ridiculously easy to open one on your chainring so I won’t bother again.

cookeaa

I’m still Very much a fan of my CB19, main problem when looking at more compact tools is the lack of a chain tool and/or silly pricing.

I was tempted by the cheaper granite steerer tube mounted job (shown back up the page there) but yet again no chain tool pit me off.

b33k34

Carried an original Alien for years but they’re bulky and there’s loads of stuff you never use.  Katie has a CB19 which is ok (and the flat shape packs well).

I’ve not got a Nexus X. You can get them for under £20 and it’s a really usable tool with longer Allen keys.  (if you ride with other people carrying different tools makes sense too).   The most annoying thing about it is that it still doesn’t have the Torx size I need for brake levers  but I’ve got loads of the little double Torx SRAM tools that come with their brakes and bleed kits so carry one of those. And a cheap small quick-link breaker from china.

Crank brothers 19 for 16 quid at go outdoors plus and extra 15% off.

Cheers – ordered. For £13.60 can’t go wrong and been happy with my CBxx for years

iainc

pdwFree Member
    I quite like my Topeak PT30 as it includes master link remover, master link storage, and a tubeless tyre worm insertion thing.

I have a brand new one of these spare if anyone wants it for £25 posted ?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find the ‘all attached in one unit’ multitools okay, but can be limited due to space constraints.

Settled on a Blackburn big Switch, which is a little bit like the smallest tool roll you’ve ever seen. Stock of all the usual things, and easy to acessorise.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/blackburn-big-switch-tool/137018822/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7890439&country=uk&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwouexBhAuEiwAtW_Zx1PTUna23fXzPtnPMnShZlva5_orcaPQ_P3fIakSPk2DnGXehudg6RoCkFcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

benp1

I’ve settled on the Topeak Ratchet Rocket with some additional bits

I found my multitool couldn’t get access to a couple of tricky bolts but the Topeak worked well (e.g. bottle cage bolt).

ajantom

Like @Scienceofficer above, I’ve got a Blackburn Big Switch.

I’ve had it for about 3 years, and it’s the best tool I’ve had. Fits nicely in short or jersey pocket, excellent quality tool bits.

BillOddie

Topeak Mini 9 here plus proper small chain tool and Granite tyre levers with master link pliers.  Separate tools work better in my experience.

Optional extras: shimano round crank preload tool, spoke key and Gerber Dime.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM