Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best bib short – Assos / Castelli / ?
  • crankman
    Free Member

Torn between some new bib shorts from Castelli –
    Free Race Aero (£135)

or the Assos T FI.Mile S5 (£151)

Has anyone tried both? Experiences? I will be doing some fairly long distances in these in the summer so want a comfy one, the Assos one sounds good, but I have a lot of Castelli stuff and like it.

Thoughts?

richen987
    Free Member

I can only comment on the assos f1, I have two pairs and do lots of miles in them,they are really comfortable and have lasted me 2 years so far just followingv the instructions and chamois cream.
    Very expensive but very very good, much better than other bibs I own, (gore, altura, specialized)
    hopentnatg helps

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

crankman, you seen the assos factory outlet?
    http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/page/man-shorts

mauja
    Free Member

Not tried that assos model but have the castelli ones and find them really comfortable, they’ve been great on longer rides.

DT78
    Free Member

that assos link legit? Looks dodgy – have you bought from there before?

DT78
    Free Member

that assos link legit? Looks dodgy – have you bought from there before?

crankman
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for the link but it looks a bit dodgy. Some of the shorts are from 2007 as well!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Not tried the Castelli but a +1 for the assos. Last years and very comfy. I’m 14 stone so more weight than some on the sit bones.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Zero rh+ stuff for me.

But I don’t ride fast enough to wear Assos 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

the outlet is legit, not bought from though. It is clearance stock so don’t worry about the year. Got some older Assos shorts, c10 years old and seem fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

more on topic, got Assos Uno and Mille and Castelli Velosicimo(sp?) the assos have more padding and are a heavier lycra. both are comfy though.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve got both and I prefer the Assos shorts. The Castelli pad has made me sore at times, especially on long hot rides. The pad seems to rub on the outer edge in places. It also holds the sweat more than the assos pad.
    Never had any problems with Assos.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I use Castelli Velocissimo bibs, they’re brilliant for the money (c.£75).

They’re a much better fit on me that Assos (I’ve had 2 pairs, Mille and F1) and the Kiss pad, whilst feeling very thin, does a great job and doesn’t bunch or rub.

They seem to be much more ‘stretchy’ lycra, so you hardly know you’re wearing them.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t like the Assos Uno, it’s a pretty basic short they’re charging a fortune for because it’s Assos! IMO the pad’s too thick and bulky. The F.I.Mille is good though. Not used the Castelli, I like Gore shorts too. I don’t think Assos stuff is as good as it was 5 years ago – I’d definitely buy the older stock from the factory outlet!

Tricone
    Free Member

I find panache bib shorts better than my assos (just to complicate things with another option).

messiah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t pay that much for shorts again… the Assos ones I “treated” myself too a few years ago were one of my biggest cycling disapointments. Bulky pad which caused rubbing on long days and stitching which didn’t stay together very well. The Lusso’s I curently have are far more comfy, better quality and half the price.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Assos Mille, comfiest shorts i own – although recommending shorts is a bit like recommending saddles, what suits one person might not suit another.

The-Beard

I’ve tried both and prefer the pad on the Assos by a long shot. Didn’t like the pad on the Castelli shorts over long distances. Though just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I was given some Rapha shorts at Christmas and I’m seriously impressed, really top notch kit, fantastic cut and pad. Silly money though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really really really rate my Assos T Fi Uno S5 Bib Short, i got them in jan 11 and they still looks as new now as they did then – admittedely ALWAYS worn under shorts so ive no idea if they would still be so great wihout an outerlayer on….used anywhere from 2hour to 6-7 hour rides and never had any comfort issues

really really comfy, had some top end dhb ones (which i still own but havent worn for over a year) and the comfort on the assos ones is incredible, just dont even notice they are on the chamois pad is spot on, i was using assos chamois cream for a year, after initially loving the minty tingle, i was often getting a bit too tingly and a bit numb (Which i assumed was the seat angle etc), but ive over the last month gone to udderley chamois and no more tingle/numb bollox, and the pad seems even more comfier, whats more the fit of the bibs itself is pretty much in a league of its own, the leg grippers, lyrca feel and the higher front keep the chill away, im well impressed with the whole build of them….

was a bit skeptical about it tbh, but over the course of 2 years constantly using them they are fantastic…..not cheap mind

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I’m still wearing some Assos F.I.13s I bought in 2004 (I think!). I ripped them in a crash in 2007, stitched them up and still wear them under tights now. They’re fine!

My F.I.Milles and my other F.I.13s have faded slightly I must say, but both are a good few years old.

FuzzyWuzzy

I Have Uno’s (don’t really like them, the pad is too big and basic) and Free Race Aero’s (pretty good, although a little ‘snug’ even though I did size up). I prefer DHB Aeron Pro’s over both though…

Kryton57

My £80 castelli’s are great.

Unfortunately, my £55 DHB Aeron Pro’s are better at all but one thing – chilly days mixed with bum cream of a menthol flavour – they let a lot of air through the pad.

traildog
    Free Member

I was a bit disapointed with the castellis I had, although they were more mid-range. Good but not as high a quality as I was perhaps expecting. I like a pair of Santinis which I’ve got – better for the price I think. Never tried Assos, although they look good they’re very expensive for something I always seem to wear out. My absolute fave I’ve tried though is Etxeondo, I think their kit is lovely.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Tried the Free Aeros and thought they were good but a tad short in the leg for my liking. Now running Giordana BodyClones which are longer and ace.

Never really got on with the Assos fit myself.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best bib short – Assos / Castelli / ?’ is closed to new replies.