Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Best 29er AM full suspension frames Hammerhead Thumper, Stumpjumper Kona Satori.
  • switchbackbikes
    Free Member

HA! Heck yeah 😀

switchbackbikes
    Free Member

@clink

They are actually here in town, going through final customs check…

Keeping the fingers crossed they show up this afternoon….cause I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow 8)

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

dlr: Yes, exactly how Stato said. It got held at customs and I got a letter through the post to pay the import duty (20% VAT on value of frame and delivery costs, plus £8 ParcelForce handling fee). I paid it online and received the frame 2 days later. I forgot one other cost which was a £14 fee from my credit card for currency conversion charges. All in it cost me around £560 now I’ve tallied it all up. Still a great bargain!

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

Got to ride the Thumper today for the first time! Genuinely very, very impressed. It was only around Sherwood Pines which is pretty flat and needs lots of pedal power. Certainly nothing steep or rocky but it is twisty, bumpy and rooty and I do a fair bit of off piste tight singletrack trails through the trees. I’ve also got an Anthem 29er (2nd in MBUK trailbike of the year 2013) which is perfect for the Pines and I certainly didn’t buy the Thumper for this type of riding so I wasn’t expecting to be blown away – I love my Anthem and it’s a tough act to follow for fast pedally riding.

The first thing I noticed was the accuracy of the steering and the lateral stiffness through the whole bike which makes the handling really predictable. Also, although not quite as pedal efficient as my Anthem, it pedalled much, much more efficiently than I expected and I would happily ride this for XC if I only owned the one bike. My mate has a Stumpjumper 29er which is a weapon downhill and on big rocks etc but it bobs a fair bit when hard on the pedals which is pretty much what I was expecting from the Thumper. However, it was great – even out of the seat on short climbs on trail mode the very small amount of bob wasn’t an issue. The back end feels soooooo plush too and I know this bike will rip dowhill! I couldn’t test it for this though as there’s nothing there that even troubles the Anthem so that will have to wait until the weekend. The plushness to the back end and the whole stiff solid feel through the bike makes me think I am going to be extremely impressed with this new beast. Accurate steering and efficient pedalling from a bike I bought as an Enduro machine – big unexpected bonuses! Peak District or Wharncliff Woods this weekend – decision time again.

Northwind

That’s really interesting Scott, cheers!

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Do I, don’t i, do I, don’t i….

Sounds great from the initial ride report but would definitely be interested to hear how it rides in the rough stuff.

switchbackbikes
    Free Member

@northwind….

Thanks!

chakaping
    Free Member

Do I, don’t i, do I, don’t i….

There’s one less medium available now.

😉

switchbackbikes
    Free Member

There’s one less medium available now.

Thank you! Shipping your way today!

modig
    Free Member

Oops. Seems that the last grey ano large frame is heading to Sweden 🙂

Kudos to Scott for patiently answering my questions and sorting the shipping here.

/johan

chakaping
    Free Member

Good work.

What height are you out of interest?

modig
    Free Member

Thanks,

I am 187 cm (6 ft 1.6 in) and went for Scotts recommendation that size L would be spot on. (Also demoed a friend’s XL Covert 29er which has very similar numbers)

I currently ride a size L Singular Buzzard which has almost 20 mm shorter ETT but I do have 70 mm stem and a setback seatpost on that so it will be easy to get same overall cockpit length if the thumper feels too stretched out using the same parts.

/Johan

chakaping
    Free Member

They do seem to have a longer TT than a lot of other bikes, I’m hoping the medium will fit me well with a 50mm stem and 750mm bar.

🙂

dlr

modig: argh! I was probably going to order that at the weekend 🙁

CheesybeanZ

Am I imagining it or has a post from the OP disappeared ?

Clink

Yep – presume it broke forum rules.

thv3
    Free Member

@chakaping – What height are you?

Swithering between the small and medium and would also be looking at a similar cockpit.

chakaping
    Free Member

5ft 9 in my five tens

thv3
    Free Member

Cheers, same height and leaning towards the medium too based on the listed measurements.

I’ve dropped Scott an email for his thoughts, but looks like he’s now in Vegas

switchbackbikes
    Free Member

@thv3

Yeah busted I’m in Vegas….just replied to your e-mail….okay, unplugging again before I get in trouble 🙂

Thanks, Scott

Hopefully y’all won’t hear from me again until Mon….Viva Las Vegas!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Best 29er AM full suspension frames Hammerhead Thumper, Stumpjumper Kona Satori.’ is closed to new replies.