Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Berd Spokes – What ETRTO is a piece of string?
  • kayak23

Have we done these spokes?
    Not seen them before.

GHill

Zed wheels in Barnsley builds hill climb specific wheels with these. I think they’re something like 800 g for a pair!

tomhoward

Getting some built onto DTSwiss XMC1200s this week, 1300(ish) gram, 29”, 30mm enduro-able wheels FTW.

Not been able to do this with a spoke before…

kayak23

Crazy. They’ve been out a while then presumably. I’d not seen them before. 🙂

tomhoward

Couple of years I think.

roverpig

I guess that answers the old question of whether the hub hangs from the top spokes or stands on the bottom ones then 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol @roverpig, that quote does my nut in.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I guess that answers the old question of whether the hub hangs from the top spokes or stands on the bottom ones then 🙂

This has never been in doubt.

ernie

There’s a new company called pirope making very similar spokes. They look pretty impressive and if I had the money would be very tempted.

tomhoward

Trouble with Pi Rope ones is that they have a proprietary hub/spoke/rim interface. Berds work with pretty much everything, even standard nipples.

ernie

I didn’t know berd work on pretty much anything. So in theory I could upgrade my spokes at a later point? If so, I could be in with a shout of 1100g wheels:-)

damascus
    Free Member

Quite useful just to have 1 or 2 to carry as spare spokes.

Don’t think I can afford or justify 64 of them at that price.

@tomhoward
    let us know what the build is like and the first ride 👍

tomhoward

Yeah. J bend requires the spoke holes rounding off, but they provide a tool to do it, straight pull needs a separate insert, and it’s a PROPER faff to do, (the Berd demo takes 3 mins to fit one spoke…) but it is doable

Quite useful just to have 1 or 2 to carry as spare spokes.

Not really, as it takes 2 days to bring the spokes to tension (you re tension them twice with 24 hrs between, during the build process (remember what I said about faff?). Berd recommend using a normal spoke, should you break one out in the wild.

I won’t be building them I’m afraid, I have neither the knowledge, patience, nor willingness to learn how to build wheels on these… Stif have brought someone in specially for me 😊. Will report back on how they ride though!

ogden
    Free Member

Seem to have been out years but seem to be making a push in the last few days.

Hardtail party just did a video as well: https://youtu.be/8ZTOkz0N1TU

I’m sort of surprised that these spokes are targeted more at mtbers and not roadies tbh. Think I’d be more likely to build up a set of light road wheels with these if they weren’t so expensive.

tomhoward

They’ve been doing the rounds on road and gravel based sites for a while, only more recently MTBers have picked them up.

endomick
    Free Member

Dentists can now get dental floss spokes for their boutique bikes 😀.

robo89
    Free Member

Can you go to rehab for ridiculously overpriced bike bits addiction, cos if you drop 500 on spokes you should maybe check yourself in.

Northwind

I love those. Definitely never going to buy any, but still.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sort of surprised that these spokes are targeted more at mtbers and not roadies tbh.

Outside of hillclimbing I suspect that aero is more appealing, especially since it became such a big deal in marketing the last few years.

Spinergy had their PBO spokes which were probably similar? I can’t remember but I think there was a UCI rule related reason why they didn’t take off?

tomhoward

Can you go to rehab for ridiculously overpriced bike bits addiction, cos if you drop 500 on spokes you should maybe check yourself in.

Sounds shit.

Yeah, they aren’t very aero, though part of the bumpf on Berd’s website is that they are UCI legal. The vibration damping is what’s being pushed to the gravel guys, plus the lack of weight, over aero.

Aidy
    Free Member

I think you used to be able to get “emergency” spokes made out of dyneema?

That looks like a pretty nice application, though.

oldnpastit

So, $512 for 64 spokes. It’s not completely out of the question. Can you get them on cycle-to-work?

tomhoward

So, $512 for 64 spokes.

Plus $45 delivery to UK, $65 for a builders kit and 25% for VAT/duty/fees.

And an extra 86c per spoke if you have straight pull hubs, for the inserts

kerley
    Free Member

Pretty minimal weight gain really though (2.5g vs 5g – 64 x 2.5g = 160g) so not exactly a good use of money on a price per gram saved if they cost around £600 for a pair of wheels to save 160g versus £100 for decent metal spokes.
    In fact probably one of the worst uses of money for a £ per gram!

Not aimed at me though as the set of spokes cost more than my only bike…

tomhoward

All rotational weight though, plus supposed ride feel benefits. We’ll see.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Are these going on your Deviate? I do love your bike builds as there’s always something different.

For those questioning the financials, does it really matter? I’ve seen people spend that on number plates for rep mobiles!

Hard Tail Party just released a video reviewing them on a wheelset and he is really impressed (rode them for 6 months).

tomhoward

Are these going on your Deviate? I do love your bike builds as there’s always something different.

Naaw, fanks! Yeah, the Highlander.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nice! Get them sent off that drop at Gisburn and see how they feel 🙂

For some reason when I saw these a while ago, I thought they were rigid. Like they’d been dipped in some sort of resin.

oldnpastit

All rotational weight though, plus supposed ride feel benefits. We’ll see.

Rotating mass at the rim is equivalent to 2x actual mass. But the spokes’ mass is distributed evenly along the radius. My physics lessons are too long ago to know the actual multiplier, but it will be less than 2x.

tomhoward

I feel I didn’t really focus in on just how much of a faff these spokes are to fit, and why I didn’t want to do it myself.

In their eagerness to play with the shiny things, Stif started lacing them at 9am this morning. I’ve just had a call (at 4pm) to say that they’ve done all the right side and half the left side spokes of the front wheel. I make that 3 spokes an hour.

They’ve had to re make all the supplied tools, due to the forces required to seat everything breaking the originals.

More news as I get it.

simondbarnes

I make that 3 spokes an hour.

I hope that they’re charging at least £1000 labour

tomhoward

Great success!

Not tensioned yet, but looks like they have the hang of it now, last 7 spokes only took an hour…

damascus
    Free Member

I hope you agreed a price before hand 🤣

cookeaa

Tell em you don’t like the colour of the rim, can they relace it with a different one please?

Actually I’m sure I remember seeing some sort of “emergency spoke” product for sale years ago; made of some flavour of Kevlar/Aramid/Dyneema… Was it the same company?

And Of course lets not forget:

poah
    Free Member

ETRTO is the diameter of the rim not the spoke length is it not.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm disc drive

kayak23

ETRTO is the diameter of the rim not the spoke length is it not.

Yes, but please allow me some artistic license for the thread title 😉

kazafaza
    Free Member

They’re awesome for comfort. Happy to carry a spare one or two in my pocket. Not so great for single speed use, you can feel the initial flex when stomping on the pedal however after a moment they seem to recoil and shoot you on your merry way. Love the sound they make. Oh, and the look on the fellow rider’s face when they notice your wheels are literally laced with what looks like some shoestrings is priceless…

My buddy from BlackCat Wheels has built my hoops and I can’t thank him enough, enjoy his little write-up:

https://www.blackcatwheels.ch/2019/12/berd-spoked-wheels-why-your-mother-or.html

tomhoward

More promising news.

DTSwiss list the stock front wheel weight as 709g, but I suspect that includes rim tape and valves, which the above doesn’t.

tomhoward

And we’re done.

Adding this to the front…

Makes 1280g (plus a bit for valves and rim tape on the front) all up, down from 1530g. I think that’s pretty good for a 29”, 30mm rim, AM/enduro-able wheelset 😊

Now they are built into wheels, the spokes feel no different when you grab a handful than metal ones. Only had a quick blast down Stainburn red descent line on the way home from the shop, but they feel as you’d expect wheels that were half a pound lighter than previously, they feel a bit more lively, accelerating a bit quicker and generally react well to inputs. Can’t really comment on ride feel yet as the tyres had a million psi in, having just been fitted, but I’m off for a longer ride this aft/eve, so will report back later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Berd Spokes – What ETRTO is a piece of string?’ is closed to new replies.