Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ben Rockett
  • Edric64
    Free Member

I have just seen that Ben managed his awesome ride in well under 6 days.Now when you do Road Record Association record rides you ride solo.Although Bens achievement is fantastic he had people riding with him at points on the ride would this nulify the record?I don't know if there are rules and regulations regarding this or which if any organization this record is run by as I don't think the RRA cover it.Well done Ben next the Race across America!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Hi Edric, one of them riding with him was me! The Team were in touch with the RRA but they only recognise certain place to place and return and distance records not 'the double' so no, it won't be a recognised RRA record ride.. it has been properly adjudicated however, route, support, hours etc and will stand as a record on that basis.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rocketts-lelogle-record-attempt

Edric64
    Free Member

I am surprised the RRA don't recognise it as they have things like Pembroke to London on their list. I'm surprised this isn't on the list .They have a 1000 miles so you turn round and start to come back!!I bet Ben is knackered and I wasn't trying to be a killjoy re the support riders bit!!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Was it motorpaced? Just that some of the speeds he was apparently doing were getting a bit silly considering.

Edric64
    Free Member

Such as?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Such as anything over 20mph on a ride of that length going up a hill.

Edric64
    Free Member

Have you ever ridden a road bike a long way and are you aware of what a tail wind can do for your speed ? The record for a 24hour tt is over 500 miles and for a 12hour its over 300 and the average on the RAAM is over 16mph.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have ridden a road bike a very very long way thanks.

crazy-legs

His tracker (or the internet software?) was messed up a few times, at one point it showed 287mph!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

The GPS tracker (linked on the blog) was indeed being carried in the support van which wasn't always alongside Ben. Not sure about the 287mph though.. perhaps Tom was driving at that point 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

An explanation re the GPS track (thanks Tony!)

the website's gps tracker was linked up to software on Alastair's and Dan's phones. The exact phone in use was determined by battery, signal, who was awake, which vehicle was following etc. The tracking phones were always in different vehicles. My understanding of the speed confusion is that the 2 phones' locations were uploaded to the online tracker immediately after one another, with the vehicles being a few miles apart. As a result the gps location could potentially have "moved" a few miles over a couple of seconds therefore showing some crazy speeds! Hope that helps explain things a little!

So it wasn't Tom's driving after all 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ben Rockett’ is closed to new replies.