Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Belt drive frame
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new commuting bike and have decided to go belt drive

All the off the shelf bikes i would be changing most parts anyway so looking to build a bike up

I am struggling to find many belt drive frames available if anyone could help?

I would like something light as possible as will be single speed

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Van Nicholas Yukon Rohloff, or if you don’t want drop bars, any of their Rohloff compatible frames have the split seat stay you need and ebb.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion

Should of mentioned i am looking for a disc frame and hoping to build the complete bike for £1000

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

At that price point I’m pretty cerrtain you’ll be better off buying off he shelf and changing parts. Belt and sprockets are expensive after market – I’m guessing huge OEM discounts.

What bikes are you looking at?

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

The problem is most bike are alfine put i will be converting to SS so will need different sprockets, belt and rear wheel to begin with.

Looking at fairfax sc4, cube hyde, ghost square, scott elite, focus planet etc

Would ideally like something like canyon commuter or bmc alpenchallenge but out of price range

Also looking for a light frame but difficult to find out weights of complete bike never mind frame

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

anyone?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My BMC MC01 is awesome but was massively overpriced in the UK by Evans. (I bought S/H from a guy who moved here from Germany)
    The frame would be epic if you can find one.

waliboy

I got a Dialled Love/Hate single speed converted by Ben Cooper at Kinetics in Glasgow. He put a splitter in the rear triangle and I ordered the Gates parts (chainring, belt and sprocket) via a relative in the US and built it up with parts, new and old. I’d suggest that you find a ‘conventional’ singlespeed that you like and then get the frame modified and buy the belt-drive parts from Gates. Certainly doable for under £1K depending on what you go for. Here is a link to a photo of mine:

Dialled Love/Hate belt-drive commuter

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Soma B Side is 650b HT & can be bought as belt drive IIRC..

mlbaker
    Free Member

What is the attraction of belt drive over a chain?

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Less maintance, cleaner, lighter, no neee to adjust tension once set as doesnt stretch like a chain

Still struggling to find the right bike and now cant decide to go drop bar or flat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Belt drive frame’ is closed to new replies.