Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bedtime Story books – recommendations please
  • organic355
    Free Member

Need to start some kind of bedtime routine and need some bedtime story books for my 2 month old.

So looking for appropriate books for that age? a lot of the books I have looked at seem to be for older children.

Any recommendations??

Jamie
    Free Member

Snale and the Whale is only £1.75 on Amazon at the mo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snail-Whale-Julia-Donaldson/dp/033398224X

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“I am a bunny”. Beautiful book!

Also, “Sleepy me”.

Mooly
    Free Member

Big Red Bath
    Going on a Bear hunt
    any Julia Donaldson.
    Hairy Maclairy.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Ours is 9months and I read him all sorts, he still doesn’t really listen and I’m fairly sure he doesn’t follow the story, the important thing (I think) is just to read/speak to him/her in a calm and peaceful voice so they can relax and unwind before going to sleep (this doesn’t work at all with ours, but we persevere anyway!!). So to answer your question read him whatever you want to read! (I may be totally wrong though!)

mogrim

I used to read the newspaper to my daughter at that age!

When they get bigger, the following have been favourites:

Kipper
    Gruffalo + Snail and the Whale etc.
    Elmer
    Giraffes Can’t Dance

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

was gonna write ‘Any Julia Donaldson’ but was beaten too it!

we have them all, at least the ones illustrated by Axel Scheffler. i enjoy reading em as much as they like listening.

2 months tho? you might aswell just read aloud one of your own books? they dont know whats going on but just enjoy the sound of your voice.

jam-bo

Meg&Mog
    Thats not my …

GrahamS

At 2 months you might as well read the back of a shampoo bottle.

But “Guess How Much I Love You” and “Wobble Bear” were popular in our house.

I’d save the Julia Donaldson till they can understand you/them – and then buy the lot (still a firm favourite with our almost 4 year old)

ransos
    Free Member

The “That’s Not My…” series are good for babies, as there are different textures to touch in the books. Julia Donaldson for when they’re a little bit older.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The “That’s Not My…” series are good for babies, as there are different textures to touch in the books.

Not all of them, though! Prince/Princess, for example. Shocking.

Also, in the bunny one, the bunny with shiny eyes is very disturbing! 🙂

nbt

Work-safe (bleepy) version

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7BZEaBlFQ[/video]

edit – and another vote for Donaldson/Schaeffer. You’ll eventually reach a point where you won’t need the book, you’ll be able to recite it.

A-ha. O-ho.
    A trail in the snow
    whose are these footprints?
    and where do they go

jekkyl

sleepy me is ace, my favourite.
    They’re all as good as each other at that age, any will do.
    Room on a broom, stickman, hippos go beserk, pooh stories etc. Charity shops or libraries for stacks of cheap ones, new books are like a fiver! ask any parents you know with older kids, we got stacks donated from friends and family.

GrahamS

I’d say the most important thing for a 2 month old is making sure that any books are the durable board type ones.

Paper books will either be destroyed or involve protracted battles trying to stop baby grabbing at them – which isn’t ideal when you are trying to settle them.

alfabus
    Free Member

current books for our 5 month old:

Stick Man
    Guess how much I love you
    The tale of Benjamin Bunny

Of these, the top two are easiest to read over and over (if his eyes aren’t drooping yet)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Anything Maisy Mouse in our house, big blocks of primary colours, again at two months you could be reading The Naked Lunch and they wouldn’t know the difference

ctk
    Free Member

Any charity shop will have stacks. Thick cardboard pages are good for a 2 month old. Bright and contrasty images work for younger ones eyes.

UncleFred
    Free Member

We got the Mr Man box set when the twins were about 3 months. 47 books, still reading them now they are 3, TBH i don’t really need the books anymore as i can remember nearly all the stories.

Also any Julia Donaldson, Room on the Broom got read everynight for 18months, sometime twice.

mogrim

We got the Mr Man box set when the twins were about 3 months. 47 books, still reading them now they are 3, TBH i don’t really need the books anymore as i can remember nearly all the stories.

I hated reading the Mr Men stories, for such small books they’re surprisingly long!

I’d forgotten about Meg&Mog, they’re great and I love the humour. The Dinosaur one is excellent.

GrahamS

We got the Mr Man box set… TBH i don’t really need the books anymore as i can remember nearly all the stories.

May I suggest:

Garry_Lager

Each peach pear plum – read the cover off that with our two. The Ahlberg’s were the Julia Donaldson of their day – most of their stuff is still brilliant.

arrpee
    Free Member

That’s not my children’s book, it’s too derivative…

Recommend ‘A Bit Lost’. Nice illustration.

Also ‘Rabittyness’. *sniff*

StirlingCrispin

We love the books by Robert Munsch (Canada’s answer to Julia Donaldson.)

And I challenge you to read Love You Forever without blubbing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-N.-Munsch/e/B000APX51G/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Also: Snuggle Puppy (a love song) is great fun:
    “I LOVE YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!”

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

all the above.

dear zoo
    tim hopgoods books – cold dark night, tip tap crab, wow said the owl
    baby says…
    what a busy baby

“little library” type sets, night garden, peter rabbit, etc

we were given the usborne illustrated nursery rhymes book, which has been a favourite (it has good pictures)

jfletch
    Free Member

Peepo is a great one for little babies as its got a nice soothing rhythm and its board so they can’t trash it too easily. Although we are on our second copy!

GrahamS

That’s not my children’s book, it’s too derivative…

For a two month old??? 😀

jodafett

Mr Men books and anything by Julia Donaldson. You might want to look up a book called “Go the **** to sleep” by Adam Mansbach it’s ace!

D0NK

was gonna write ‘Any Julia Donaldson’ but was beaten too it!

some of them are a bit long, depends how long little un is going to be interested.

Gruffalo/’s child and Room On The Broom are our two’s favourites from JD. Guess how much I love you was pretty well thumbed when they were younger. Don’t Wake The Bear Hare is the current one.

Mooly
    Free Member

NO eggs here – Oh dear.

kimbers

definitely thick cardboard ones
    anything will do at that age
    julia donaldson is a safe bet
    if you are stuck for inspiration, check out what theyve got at the local library
    once they are a bit older trips to the library are great, not least because you have to return them, and quite frankly there is no faster route to madness than reading the same stories every night over and over

DezB
    Free Member

Is it a boy?
    Books about diggers!

loddrik
    Free Member

As above, any Julia Donaldson and/or Korky Paul.

The Fish Who Could Wish
    The dog who could dig are brilliant.

hammyuk
    Free Member

“I Miss you Stinky Face” is brilliant!
    Fun with daft voices, they join in – my youngest is 10 and still loves that one 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Tip, Tip, Dig, Dig is pretty simple and will encourage interactions as the little one gets older.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear is also good, helps them learn colours.

Dear Zoo is quite good, has flaps for interactivity/ripping off.

Many of the above recommendations (such as Julia Donaldson) I would say are for much older children – definitely 1yr + at the very least.

cardmonkey7
    Free Member

Anything with lift up flaps and different textures they can touch. My son loved stuff like that.

http://www.experiencedaysdiscounts.com

ross980
    Free Member

The 3 Acorn Wood books – Postman Bear, Rabbit’s Nap and Fox’s Socks(Julia Donaldson) are really good for little uns. Worth getting the small hardback versions, they’re surprisingly resilient for lift the flap books.

DrP

Just give them an iPad and get back drinking wine and watching tv…..

DrP

EdwardH

I would go for reading anything that you enjoy reading yourself. I have so far managed to get eight years out of Spike Miligans childrens poems

crankboy
    Free Member

Keith the cat
    Dave
    what the ladybird heard
    Gruffelo
    Little red train.
    Our boy likes any book. The that’s not my sceries were good ones though I got told off for ad libing. ” that’s not my bunny his eyes are too psycho ”

garage-dweller

Most of our substantial library for little ones already listed.

Aliens love underpants has a lovely rhythm to it as do slinky Malinki / Hairy Maclairy

At two months interaction will be more limited but it’s a great habit to start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bedtime Story books – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.