Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bearings, where do you buy yours from?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m after some decent quality 6805 2rs bearings for my Shimano bottom bracket cups.

Interweb prices vary from a few quid to nearly £20 for a “named” brand.

So, where do you get your bearings from?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you aware that those are not standard bearings? There’s a lip on the inside race to take the tophat seal. I’ve just fitted some enduro bearings to a shimano cup. The sit directly on the axle and have a dedicated seal to replace the top hats. Even that wasn’t ideal as shimano cups have been made in two different depths with the same bearings but different depths of tophat seals.

toys19
    Free Member

no they are standard, its the enduro ones that are not, 6805’s have a 25mm id, the shaft is 24mm so the top hat spacers make up the mm diff by being 0.5 mm thick. So replacing 6805’s only work if you have top hat spacers. I think crc sell them and superstar.
    Whereas the enduro ones have the 24mm id and fit straight onto the crankshaft without top hat spacers.

I use bearing options although I recently had some bearings off kasae on here, which seem decent, but his prices are not as keen as bearing options and theirs have always been excellent quality.

Shackleton

toys19 +1

I’ve used Kaesae in the past. Decent chap, reasonable prices, fast service and of this parish if you want to support your internet LBS.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ta, just saw an old thread on here about some Shimano BB cups needing a 6mm bearing and not a 7mm one. LX ones I think needed 6mm! got plenty of “top hats” kicking about in my garage.

I’ll remove my bearings first I think, to avoid me getting annoyed and forcing my to use bad language.

I should just buy new cups but where’s the fun in that?

toys19
    Free Member

I understand your sentiments, my sense of recycling wont allow me to chuck out perfectly serviceable cups..

sv

Use the Enduro ones and ditched the top hats and have worked well (three winters so far). I avoid ‘companies’ that slag off potential customers on a public internet forum.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve used kaesae on a few occassions and have found him helpful, informative and quick to post them (plus the bearings have always been good quality and well greased).

toys19
    Free Member

I too find kasae to be helpful and honest, despite having butted heads with him on the forum a few times, he is a very straightforward and honest guy to deal with. Who cares about his forum persona anyway, it’s just rigorous holding to account as far as I’m concerned. Anyway he is much less mental than he was…

Does anyone remember the boss of surf sales on here? uber mental, didn’t stop me from buying a transition though.

Klunk
    Free Member

i buy these

Ta, just saw an old thread on here about some Shimano BB cups needing a 6mm bearing and not a 7mm one. LX ones I think needed 6mm! got plenty of “top hats” kicking about in my garage.

nope… shimanos are 6mm + 1mm external seal so the same as a 7mm 6805 (though you can’t use a shimano top hat unless you file down seal interface chamfer)

Onzadog
    Free Member

The bore is standard as is the OD. Neither the shimano nor the enduro are true off the shelf 61805 bearings (25:37:7)

Onzadog
    Free Member

The bore is standard as is the OD. Neither the shimano nor the enduro are true off the shelf 61805 bearings (25:37:7)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Really confused now. I’ll take my cups off and take it from there.

Verging on buying new bearings now, must resist

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I just go down to the local bearig place and they sort me out

rickmeister

We get ours from Kaesae, he is local to our gaff and has been very very helpful…

Northwind

I won’t buy the Enduro ones again, they lasted way less well than a Deore BB despite costing more. Lasted barely any longer than a Truvativ Isoflow, and that’s saying something.

Usually I just go to Simplybearings, but I’ve just had some recently from Kaesae- he’s a lunatic obviously but that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the bearings 😉 Will see how they last.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What are the dimensions of the kaesae bearings?

schnor
    Free Member

Don’t go for the C3 bearings BTW on the bearingoptions link unless you’re replacing it with a C3 (but they are the cheapest though) go for the regular ones.

RS online are the best place for cheap (but genuine) SKF bearings

robhughes
    Free Member

Kaesae….You can,t go wrong… 😉

scruff
    Free Member

My XTR BB from Rose was cheaper than replacement bearings.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Do you “need” the top hat then?

toys19
    Free Member

you do if you use 6805s as the shaft is 24mm and the id of the 6805 is 25mm. If you buy enduros they ahve made a custom bearing that has a 24mm id so fits straight on without top hat.

Klunk
    Free Member

if you use the 37 * 25 * 7 variation yes (they are not much), if 37 * 24 * 7 not as such but the come with an end cap seal.

penguinni

Kaesae gets my vote too.

Hes a very helpful chap and great to deal with.

Raindog
    Free Member

If you were me, I’d drop me an email and let me see what I can do 😉

neilc1881
    Free Member

Kaesae again here, quick, good bearings and the invoice always makes me laugh.
    “Thank you for helping me to help you to help me to sitck it to the man who isn’t trying to help us” or whatever that line is. Love it!

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

I buy bearings all day long in work, try your local brammer outlet as they will stock most sizes in all brands, SKF probably being best. I got rear pivot bearings for my Cube for less than £3 a piece (with works discount) but they’re still a lot cheaper than buying online. most bearings have a four digit number on them, probably want the 2rs versions which are rubber sealed on both sides.

kudos100
    Free Member

I go to kaesae for my bearings also. He has helped me out a few times with bits and pieces and is a genuine and decent chap.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cool, there’s a Brammer a few miles away.

jappy
    Free Member

Nice one russell
    There’s a brammer just round the corner from me.
    I see they do o’rings too.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

Yeh, they do O-rings too, take a sample in and i’m sure they can help. They’ll cost you pennies.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

What’s your local branch CoolHand?

rotten
    Free Member

Kaesae.

Clobber
    Free Member

Kaesae has always sorted my bearing issues, very helpful…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Electric Russell, Warrington mate

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bearings, where do you buy yours from?’ is closed to new replies.