Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Beards
  • jdavidge
    Free Member

I have a trimmer to keep it at a certain length that i use roughly every week. When i shower i use conditioner on it and then Argon oil after i dry it (cause the wife has this oil so why not).

I refuse to go to any more effort and even this seems a lot.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Grow a beard then moustache it. Dare to dream

slimjim78
    Free Member

Combing in the shower whilst lathered up helps easily remove any tangles (I have a very curly beard).

Then as above, apply some balm/oil if you’re feeling fancy (helps to tame fuzz), and trim any stragglers with a small pair of scissors.

If you aren’t particularly happy to be approached by bear hunters then don’t be tempted to spend too long cutting/defining your beard – An immaculate thatch is like a beacon.

Get used to being called ‘Hipster’ and ‘Bear’.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Grow a beard then moustache it. Dare to dream

….about looking like Borat?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I was asked if I was Turkish, I can’t deny it.

funkmasterp

[/quote]I was asked if I was Turkish, I can’t deny it.

That’s an epic, classic Cop Stache right there. My moustache is the weak link in my facial hair. Have to keep it short 🙁

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Like a stache it’s a lot of work if you want to look ‘dapper’. If not just let it grow.

Funkmaster has some good advice.

Oiling the beard prevents dry skin and beard balm helps with grooming it.

After some time I got fed up with all the grooming and it also got expensive. Look much younger now but as Gavin Pearce said you do lose the gravitas.

benz
    Free Member

Grew it for ‘Beards for Bairns’ the other year.

Was told that as it covered up a bit of my face, it was a good thing. This was from Mrs B. Personally, I like to think it makes me look a bit like those gents on some of those pseudo SAS programmes on television….the mirrors are different in our house!

Local Turkish barber gives it a good tidy up about once per month. I hate it when the bits around the mouth start tickling….

However, wet-shave around the neck and cheeks every other day to keep it sharp. Gets a good wash every shower too.

slimjim78
    Free Member

After some time I got fed up with all the grooming and it also got expensive

? Costs me about £5 a year to maintain. If that, as others frequently give balms etc for xmas.
    Takes me about 5mins a week to stay on top of, instead of a daily shave.

How much is a years supply of Gilette Mach 6 Diamond Evolution Blade Tech Pro’s these days?

Plus, i’d be lost if I couldn’t regularly sit all contemplative by stroking my chinny weave.

TiRed

Had a short trimmed beard for eight years this week. Number four on the trimmer, with razor on the neck and cheeks every few days. Trimmed once a week. Never had skin so good to be honest. Being red means it doesn’t look scruffy when left a few days.

Not a fan of anything longer though.

jond
    Free Member

Had a variable-length goatee for almost decade, then went for the metalhead long goatee for most of the next one, then just grew the damn thing out. Only bothered doing much to it now it’s fuller and feels wirier (it’s quite curly too).

Olive/avocado/almond oil (I’m a tight git) doesn’t seem to cut it so after a shower/bath, just rubbing some leave-in conditioned through it helps soften it up.
    Best one I’ve found – c/o my OH – is KMS Moist Repair, but it’s bloomin’ expensive (15 quid for 125ml, mebbe a tenner on ebay if you’re lucky). As a guess, tried some more afro-targetted stuff – ORS Curls Unleashed (!) Leave-In conditioning Creme isn’t bad, cheap at about 6-7 quid from Boots for 454g but a bit sticky, whilst the ORS equivalent Shea Butter/Mango Leave-In Conditioner *isn’t* sticky but similarly cheapish at 6-7 quid for 355ml and does most of the job of the KMS..and you don’t feel so bad about using it every time you get a shower at the gym. Smells okish too, tho’ not my first choice.
    On-and-off I’ve brushed the conditioner through but it just seems to consolidate any tangles – combing through with fingers seems to work better. Using conditioner in the bath/shower seems to have little effect by comparison. YMMV..

Tho’ I probably wouldn’t bother at all (as I didn’t) unless the beard’s more than an inch or two, assuming it grows out fairly quickly.

Oh, and I’m probably to old to be called a hipster, but it’s slightly weird being complimented on yer beard whilst piddling at the urinal of some craft beer boozer…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

slimjim78 – I should say I’m a bit cack handed at the grooming and trimming and don’t trust myself anywhere near a trimmer :lol:, so I used to take myself to the barber once a month 15£ for a tidy up or 30£ for the whole enchilada

funkmasterp

When I made the mistake of shaving mine off last year all my friends and family asked when it was coming back. You don’t look right was the main consensus 😀

Dickyboy

I’m all one for winter plumage myself & Mrs DB loves playing “guess what my husband’s been noshing on today” as you might have guessed I don’t spend much on grooming products 😳

PrinceJohn

Don’t stroke it, you’ll look like a bond villain

funkmasterp

Don’t stroke it, you’ll look like a bond villain

Thought that was cats?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I used to take myself to the barber once a month

If a man approaches my face with a razor it triggers my NAM flashbacks.

I made the mistake of shaving mine off last year

The only time MrsSLim has seen me cleanshaven was when I cut the lot off for an interview.
    She opened the door and her face dropped – then she told me I looked like a fat baby on chemo.

km79
    Free Member

I shave my head with problem free but I hate shaving my face as it takes a full day to recover from the burn/rash I get then its time to shave again. Can’t be bothered with a beard so I just use clippers with no guard and go over my face once a week with that. Been doing that since my 20’s and will likely do so for the rest of my life.

tazzymtb

Had a big beard coming up to Christmas, the amount of racial abuse I got from stokie **** for looking like a dirty **** *******Arab*** shoe bomber was getting daft. Now back to a neat goatee.

Stoke on Trent…you really are and endless cesspit of ignorance and disappointment.

mattyfez

I had some initial resistance, makes you look old /hipster etc.

Now when I shave it off completely once a year for my summer holiday, my head looks like that of a baby turtle, and the same people complain that I look really weird without one!

I don’t have a classicly desirable chiseled jaw line though, so a carefully shaped beard creates one for me 8)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mine is only to make up for the lack of fertile follicles on my Barnet, and I keep it trimmed to a no.2 and a nice clean line around the jaw, no hair on neck.

Any longer I look even dafter than usual…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stopped at bst like scotroutes et all.

Have not touched it other than washing and beard balm

Get out the shower and fall very much into shaggy vagrant camp.

After some beard balm I can get it into a presentable shape.

Top tip that seems to stop it going stringy/itchy/scratchy steal the wife’s conditioner makes a huge difference I find.

Keeps me warm on cold winter rides don’t need to wear a buff up over my mouth any more

wiggles
    Free Member

My beard is awful, it doesn’t grow on my cheeks far enough and my moustache doesn’t join onto my beard…

But alternative is shaving everyday **** that

shermer75
    Free Member

I bought a hair trimmer when I was 16 to shave my head (undercut, this was the early 90s lol) and have been using that for my beard ever since. No other grooming necessary, unless you are going full Craig David..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ha wiggles -mines shit too .

Squint helmet is what happens when you remove your Tammy and replace it with a buff while riding .

wiggles
    Free Member

haha that is basically my beard but a bit longer (and more ginger… although mine does appear to be going a bit that way!)

aracer
    Free Member

OTOH I still have to shave my cheeks to avoid looking full wookie.

metalheart
    Free Member

I stopped shaving in May.

1992 I think. Not been clean shaven since. More than half my life has been hirsute. It’s older than some of my coworkers 😆

In my racing days it was barely more than two three weeks stubble.

4 or 5 years ago I decided to test the it ain’t a beard til you need to decide under or over the duvet.

I attack it from time to time with nail scissors and hair clippers. The only concession I’ve made is combined shampoo and conditioner shampoo (every other day). I have to comb it after washing as it gets all tangled otherwise.

Think some way between Theodore Kaczynski and Billy Gibbons (prob leaning more the the unabomber though… 😳 )

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yup ginger and grey is mine.

It’s growing on the wife …. Initially she hates it.

wiggles
    Free Member

It’s growing on the wife

Didn’t realise beards were contagious 😯

mattyfez

Yup beards are like tribbles.

john_drummer
    Free Member

once a week with the trimmers vs. every day with shaving cream, razor and lots of faff

sod that. I shave once a week, either with electric razor or wet shave. the latter is quicker, even though I tend to trim back to stubble first.

Daren’t let it grow into a proper beard for fear of looking like Ken Bates 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

For balance.

Metal hearts beard is totally the shit. Propper beardage.

allfankledup

Following some over exuberant manscaping this morning my beard has been clippered off. Starting the next one from today.

Long live the beard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shave it off and leave the handlebar for an easy fancy dress costume

tomhoward

Get mine trimmed when I get my hair cut, quarterly.

Had a beard for getting on for 3 years now I think, MrsTHtobe has forbidden shaving. She’s seen pictures of my former child self

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Beards’ is closed to new replies.