Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Beach Riding. White Cliffs / Seven Sisters. Worth it or even possible?
  • peekay

I want to ride somewhere different for the day and looking for a bit of advice.

Option 1. Dover to Ramsgate via Deal along the coast under the White Cliffs, then return along the cliff tops.

Option 2. Seaford to Eastbourne along the coast under the Seven Sisters then return along the cliff tops.

I know that this will not be a flowing swoopy singletrack route, but are either of these ideas even possible?

The coast bits look to be mainly shingle and rocks, I will be on a fat bike but still expect to have to push some bits. I want a bit of an adventure, but if it really is more effort than it is worth then I will look in to other ideas.

Would I need to worry about tides?

Googling the coastal routes only seems to bring up info for the cliff top paths (which I have done various bits of on foot over the years, so I am reasonably happy that this is mostly possible), is this because there is literally no way along beneath the cliffs, or just because it is less popular so less information?

If I am being wildly naive then feel free to suggest or recommend something else coastal and different within 90mins of the Surrey Hills.

Thanks.

zippykona

I’ve been looking at doing Hastings to Winchelsea. People walk it so you don’t have to worry that the sea doesn’t go out far enough. I’ve Google earthed it and there looks like one section of rock to deal with the rest is sand.
    There’s dinosaur footprints ,a petrified forest and a Grand Designs house to look out for.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

There’s no real continuous beach at the base of the White Cliffs, there are sections of beach and bits of sea wall at St. Margaret’s at Cliffe and Kingsdown, but they don’t join up. You might manage it on foot at very low tide, but I think it would be pretty risky. The cliff top path is generally pretty busy with walkers, so it wouldn’t make for ideal riding either. Kingsdown to Ramsgate has no cliffs, it’s just a pebble beach, with a few groynes in places. It makes a nice road ride, with a few bits of cycle path, but maybe not what you’re looking for?

peekay

Thanks Zippykona. That looks like a good idea to bear in mind.

I have found some info on horse riding on beaches in Sussex and Kent, which suggests cycling would be possible, but it is more focused on big, wide expanses like Camber Sands which would be very dull.

peekay

Thanks Pleaderwilliams.
    I definitely want to avoid anywhere with too many Groynes, even running along a beach with them makes me lose the will to live, so lugging a bike over would be too much like hard work.
    I also remember the Kent cliff path being a bit busy (as you said) so will probably scrub this idea off the list.

At least the Sussex option has the SDW on the top so people expect to come across bikes.

peekay

Anybody else have any ideas for interesting beach riding in the South of South East?

Day trip over to the IOW?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Beach Riding. White Cliffs / Seven Sisters. Worth it or even possible?’ is closed to new replies.