Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BB92 Knowers
  • honourablegeorge

What 92mm pressfit BB to take a 30mm axle (Hope crank) and not creak and fall apart?

pothead
    Free Member

No recommendations I’m afraid, I had 3 pf30 bb’s seize in around 6 months (E Thirteen cranks on a YT Jeffsy), gave up and fitted Shimano cranks after the 3rd

munrobiker
    Free Member

I never found one and just fitted Shimano cranks too.

thelooseone

I’ve used the Hope PF41 BB on a previous bike (alu frame, 89.5 mm width BB shell, 41 mm diameter) with Raceface Turbine cranks (30 mm axle), it also fits to a 92 mm width PF41 BB shell. Its double row bearings were way better and longer lasting than the RF BB that came fitted, I had no creaks.

In my experience, creaks from PF BBs are caused by the BB shell not being to tolerance and/or not round, I had a Norco Search alu gravel frame warrantied for a PF41 BB shell that was out of round and causing the BB to creak and wear prematurely. If you are getting creaks and premature on a PF BB it’s worth getting the BB shell checked for roundness and if the diameter is in tolerance.

I’ve used the RF Cinch double row on my slayer with Hope cranks. Been flawless.

honourablegeorge

thelooseone

I’ve used the Hope PF41 BB on a previous bike (alu frame, 89.5 mm width BB shell, 41 mm diameter) with Raceface Turbine cranks (30 mm axle), it also fits to a 92 mm width PF41 BB shell. Its double row bearings were way better and longer lasting than the RF BB that came fitted, I had no creaks.

In my experience, creaks from PF BBs are caused by the BB shell not being to tolerance and/or not round, I had a Norco Search alu gravel frame warrantied for a PF41 BB shell that was out of round and causing the BB to creak and wear prematurely. If you are getting creaks and premature on a PF BB it’s worth getting the BB shell checked for roundness and if the diameter is in tolerance.

I don’t even have the frame yet, this is part of the consideration

Does the Hope one still need special tools to screw it together?

comet

A Hope BB is your best bet.
    From recollection the PF41 for a 30mm spindle does not have the internal sleeve that the PF46 does. So you’ll need a bearing press but not the tools that the BBs with a central sleeve use.
    This chart should answer your questions https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/PF41_WEB_2023.pdf .. or confuse you!

dovebiker

The problem with a 30mm BB92/PF41 is you have a bearing that is only 5.5mm thick, including inner and outer races plus balls/rollers no bigger than 3mm diameter. Tiny bearing aren’t good for wear and corrosion resistance.

Northwind

I hade Raceface for a while, with Next SL cranks so that was ideal, the BB wore out at the same rate as the pedal inserts and I could replace it all at the same time when I warrantied the cranks. I went through 2 of these, one of them went a little notchy really quickly- I reckon the race dented a little just in general use but never confirmed that.

After that, had a Hope which lasted better but was overcomplicated (I think after I changed the bearings in that I refitted it without the thready middle, if memory serves, and it didn’t seem to make any difference) The bearings outlasted the Raceface by a lot, but still not what I’d consider acceptable, and not worth the price.

So like everyone else I gave up on stupid 30mm, fitted a 24mm Shimano with XT level BB, and those lasted at least twice as long as the Hope and probably 4-5 times as long as the Raceface. Only BB I ever had in the frame that I didn’t think was basically crap, if I’m honest. But that’s a bit unfair, 30mm is just basically a stupid standard and combined with BB92 requires a too-small bearing, Hope at least had a decent stab at it. All my bikes are 24mm again now.

silasgreenback

Having been there done that I wouldnt do it again. It’d stop me buying the frame full stop.

Bearings are smaller to accommodate the bigger axle so wear out way quicker than 24mm spindle and the RF bearings on the 30mm pf bb are utter poop. Show a bit of water and they wear out in no time. 3 in a winter was death nell for that combination for me.

Wheels do a thread together pressfit BB for 24mm spindles so I’d got that route if you really want the frame. Used that on my old Fat Bike and was flawless. Plus when bearings do eventually go you can just tap them out and press in new ones without removing the whole BB.

Blazin-saddles

Hope have just released a new version of the bb93/30 with an internal sleeve and looks like redesigned bearings some how. Maybe look into that as tbh, I get reasonable life out of the old style flanged Enduro bearings with my Hope crank/Yeti set up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.