Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bars on a 29er
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Due to tennis elbow in both elbows I got some on one mary bars and loved them ever since. great for oiking the bike up and getting through narrow gaps

now on a 29 i am using some fleegles which are okayish, better than the flats but still not quite the same raleigh shopper feel i like!

so what are people using of a similar ilk? i like the look of the jones bars, but price….

all help welcomed.

takisawa2

I use plain old non O/S carbon monkey bars in low rise. I like the extra flex when riding rigidista style.

TooTall
    Free Member

erm……….why not put some Mary bars on it?

drofluf
    Free Member

I

erm……….why not put some Mary bars on it?

My thoughts entirely!

Of course the 29er specific version of the Mary bars would be required….

miranmtb
    Free Member

How much longer stem is needed if you go from fleegle to mary?
    Using 80mm with fleegle at the moment.

vondally
    Free Member

I used for a while salsa 17 degree bars 90mm stemnot bad

then

answer 780mm low rise 45mm stem

and now

Easton havens 45mm stem

liked the answers the best

rOcKeTdOg

Ragley Carnegie’s are comfy

chambord
    Free Member

Grips, stem, and Brakspear stem cap match the swan perfectly RD.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

cheers all,
    whats the ideal width for a 29 er bar? the marys are quite small, i did try the fleegles on a 26, hated them, but on the 29 er, not bad… maybe the higher pitch?

also anyone use a layback seat post? i do on the 26 er, great stuff, but the 29 er shipped with an inline.

basically do i copy the set up of the 26er on the 29 er!

nuke

I have Salsa Bend 2 bars from Charlie on my 29er…

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-alloy-bend-2-bar-318-2031-p.asp

Bought them after I broke my wrist in April this year and wanted a more natural bar position whilst recovering…very comfy and decently wide (710). Do stretch you out a bit more than a regular bar but shorter stem did the trick

drofluf
    Free Member

whats the ideal width for a 29 er bar? the marys are quite small, i did try the fleegles on a 26, hated them, but on the 29 er, not bad… maybe the higher pitch?

Don’t think there is an ideal any more than there is on a 26er. Whatever feels right for you. And the same bar may feel different on a different geometry bike but the wheel size will be the least of the factors

also anyone use a layback seat post? i do on the 26 er, great stuff, but the 29 er shipped with an inline.

Depends on the relative size of the frames etc.

basically do i copy the set up of the 26er on the 29 er!

Yes, as a starting point I’d get bar heights the same, reach from saddle to bar, saddle height and position as close to that of your existing bike as you can and experiment from there – assuming that you’re happy with the current setup. To get to that position may require a layback post and/or a different stem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bars on a 29er’ is closed to new replies.