Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Bars, Blocks, Gels, Tabs, Chews, Powders, Potions
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

If you’re out for a full day what goes in your bladder and back pack?

andrewh
    Free Member

Water and mars bars.
    Gels and special drinks for racing (Bikefood)

IHN

Water. Tracker bars/Kellogs Elevenses/flapjack/Generic muesli bar type things. Sweets. Maybe maltloaf. Or some sandwiches or maybe a scotch egg.

Never use snake oilsports nutrition products.

edlong
    Free Member

What IHN said

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ribena, Cash and a Mobile phone.

IHN

Oh, I forgot, sometimes there’s a flask too (thermos and/or hip)

titusrider
    Free Member

Clifs shot blocks are fantastic at warding off and recovering from bonking
    Clif bars or nature valley for proper sustanance

Water in camelback on the MTB

one bottle of water one of SIS PSP on the road bike

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I use a simple test: would I eat or drink this if I wasn’t riding?

Sensible eating of normal foods gives most people all the energy they need most of the time. It is generally cheaper and tastier.

Northwind

Haribos jelly babies and tesco oaty bar things. Very occasionally SIS water-stuff in the camelbak if it’s a particularily harsh day, but usually just water. And a couple of the High5 Summer Fruits gels as a rocket booster, rarely get used but when they do I’m glad to have them. Bit limited in what I can eat as everything has flour or standard oats in it.

I do like the High5 gels mind, I could happily put them on icecream, but it’s not something I’ve usually got a lot of use for.

makeitorange
    Free Member

christhetall
    Free Member

Another vote for shot blocks, just about the only food I ever carry

Admittedly that packet of flap jacks is making my mouth water, but the box wouldn’t fit in a pocket, nor would it be as easy to open whilst riding !

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cereal bars, a few energy gels, energy drink and water.

lemonysam
    Free Member

pork pie, caramel slice*, apple/banana. I have emergency gels/sweets for if I find myself about to keel over miles from home but haven’t used them yet.

*or M&S Belgian Chocolate Flapjack bar. Just as easy to open as a gel and bloody lovely.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Water. Kendal Mint Cake…

…and if required malt loaf, Obree’s jam sandwich and jelly babies/wine gums (ultra runs add something spicy/savoury)

Experimented with all the stuff (as a triathlete) but found not real benefit over above.

Electrolyte – OJ or squash with touch of salt and sugar

tomhoward

Water and a couple of mini cans of fanta for drinking, then flapjack and a couple of bananas for eating. Some mule bars and lucozade/sis gel for if I find myself going a bit wobbly (diabetic you see)

Pieface

Gels for races / emergencies.

My current favourite ‘alternative’ to energy bars is slices of malt loaf buttered, in a sandwhich bag with a mixture of dried apricots and yoghurt coated raisins. Take a slice of malt loaf out and it has a coating of the extras on it already. Cheap as well if you get your dried fruit from Aldi / Lidl and the like.

Other than that cereal bars are handy. My favourite touring snack is peanut M&Ms in the bar bag.

Not keen on shot blocks as they’re mostly packaged in a bag that falls apart so you tend to eat them all at once. Too similar to jelly to make me feel ripped off.

oldgit
    Free Member

Been a long time since I did an all dayer on the MTB. Used to have a good breakfast.
    Carry jam sandwiches, banana, elevenses and a bottle on the frame with a carbo drink. Always had a gel as an emegency get home food.
    Never carried enough food for the whole day, that would do me as a lunch, but I’d have to source food whilst out to keep me going until night time.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Electrolyte – OJ or squash with touch of salt and sugar

With bits or smooth, Watered down?

Homemade electrolyte sounds good, how many tpsn per litre of salt? Squash already has loads of sugar some not sure if extra would be needed.

brant
    Free Member

Shot Bloks are pretty ace.

gee
    Free Member

Water + Peaslake Village Stores.

GB

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Edgar
    Red Eggs
    BBs

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be seen dead with a Camelback

Two water bottles one with water one with those Zeros from High 5, good stuff doesn’t taste claggy like some of the SIS stuff.

In my back pockets a few cereal type bars from the breakfast cupboard or flapjack if I’ve made any that week, one banana and then a couple of Gels, or Bloks just in case of bonking.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be seen dead with a Camelback

Oooo Get you…

Ribena, Choccy Bars and some whiskey.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

MTB Full day: Sandwiches, banana, apple, water and flapjacks.

MTB Half day: Bloks and water.

Road ride: Water and a couple of Bloks.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Oooo Get you…

I know they are just waaaay too 1998.

ianpv
    Free Member

recreational mtb rides – muesli bars, sandwiches, water, whatever is about if I’m out all day. nothing if out for less than 2 hours.

racing – gels and/or energy drinks, but read the instructions and have proper strategy worked out. It is amazing how effective they are when used as instructed. It seems a ridiculous amount when you read the high 5 instructions – 3 gels per hour or whatever – but it is pretty incredible how hard you can ride if you actually do neck a gel every 10/12km on a quick road ride, IME.

DT78
    Free Member

Having followed the 3 per hour in a 4 hour race it is also incredible how much funky coloured puke can come out…

Emergency gel, carry a cereal or fruit bar and a bottle of water for all 2-3 hr rides. I used to eat all sorts of energy products and wondered why I never lost weight!

I do like those clif shot blocs but they are pricey for what they are and I get upset when I manage to eat one and drop the rest on the floor.

For a race I tend to have one gel before the kick off, and maybe one as a pick me up after an hour.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sounds like the shot blocs are pretty popular. I’ve not tried thm myself but I have had the flapjacks, the crunchy peanut butter ones are nice enough but as soon as I have a bite I get heartburn.

Which flavor blocs are the best?

My personal favorate food for an all dayer is peanut butter, banana and honey rolls/baps, the only thing is they’re not exactly handy to eat on the move.

composite
    Free Member

Traditionally I have always just had water and some sort of flap jack/oat bars.

I ordered something from On-One before Christmas which was about £2.50 short of free postage. They had some of that Maxim Electrolyte Energy Drink on sale for about £5 so it only meant it cost about £2.50 more than paying for postage would have. Thought it was worth a punt. Broke a rib soon after so not used it during a ride but I had a pint of it in the house to check it didn’t kill me and it seemed fine.

freeagent
    Free Member

couple of emergency gels – sometimes have one on a sunday morning if i’m struggling.
    for longer rides – flapjack, various other cerial bars and sometimes some haribo.
    drikwise – High 5 zero tabs in the bottle for ‘normal’ riding, high 5 2:1 stuff in the bottle for an event.

tomhoward

Bottles covered in muck and s**t being bang on trend?

richpips
    Free Member

Bottles covered in muck and s**t being bang on trend?

Or buy one with a cover over the valve.

As for food gels etc are fine for the odd hit. Proper food did me fine for a few 12+ hour runs last year though.

somafunk

Don’t wear a pack no matter how long i’m out for – hateful things, i use waterbottles and i’ve got a wee seatpack for bits n’ bobs, i usually stuff a flapjack or something in a jersey or jacket pocket and carry a couple of £ for emergency rations if i pass somewhere but if i’m at a trail centre or just popping out for 3-4hrs i don’t bother carrying anything apart from waterbottles. When i used to do “alldayers”, 40-60-80mile+ i used to carry a few cliff bars or muesli bars and fill my water bottles from streams or i’d just find a house and ask nicely if they would fill it up – never used energy potions or overpriced sugar water.

stevious

I tend to use electrolyte tabs (usually nuun, but anything without sweeteners) as they seem to prevent cramping up. Used to use SIS energy drink too, but have just taken to eating the odd cereal bar on the ride instead.

senorj

+1 for the buttered malt loaf.(try rum butter 😉 )
    kiwi fruits,pretty indestructible , nom.
    Any half decent cereal bar that’s on offer that week.
    This week it’s Jordan’s in tesco 🙂
    & gels if I want to try hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gel & bar for emergency. Torq is my favorite and nicer to eat.
    Torq powder in the camelback for longer/hotter rides. (Oz) I prefer to be hydrated when I finish so generally take more water than most people.

Some musli bars and fizzy snakes too. If its a long ride then a sandwich or 2.

Cash

weeksy

a overnighter on the SDW i did the shot block/things etc… i ended up about 6 hours later with terrible stomach cramps, i had 8 toilet trips after that in the next 5-6 hours of the ride… it was horrific. I’m amazed i managed to complete the ride as i was destroyed and felt weak as a kitten.

From that day…. the energy products are 100% off the list.

I’d rather have a snickers and a flapjack.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Oooo Get you…

I must admit i don’t like wearing one, but in the winter muck its handy.

Bottles and pockets for the summer. My hairy back get sweaty enough without putting a bag on it. 😀

Solo
    Free Member

Bikefood

You feed your bike ?.
    😯

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You feed your bike ?.

Yes

my bike is fueled by marketing bullsh!t… apparently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Bars, Blocks, Gels, Tabs, Chews, Powders, Potions’ is closed to new replies.