Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • barrons
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

I have a set and would like to us them in les arcs I am slightly concerned they are not dual ply think they OK?

Northwind

What flavour of riding? (or if with a company, who?) Les Arcs is pretty mixed. Our group punctured the **** our of everything on the first day but I think that was just a) mostly XC tyres and b) not enough air. I didn’t really feel it was harder on tyres than my UK riding, but then there could be tyre-murdering minefields I didn’t see.

TBH Barons wouldn’t be my choice… The sidewalls aren’t very tough, only black mark on an otherwise brilliant tyre. Mine are fraying up just from normal everyday riding, the sidewalls will be dead long before the tread, none too chuffed. And they’re a wee bit mud-oriented, sure it does rain in the alps but I went with more of a mud-capable allrounder.

I went with Specialized SX-carcasses… sort of ply-and-a-half, very tough but not as hefty as dualply. Think I was the only one in our group not to flat in a week in the area, and yep that includes the guides 🙂 Used ’em for UK downhill as well, no bother. Oh and relatively cheap! Will be using them again this year.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Thanks that settles it I will take my Dear kaiser they have a though side wall
    I don’t think the compound is as good though, shame I love the barons

bigyinn
    Free Member

Really? My Baron has been used for a year with no obvious sidewall issues. Its a heavy bloody tyre for normal riding, but very good in the mud (which is why I bought it).

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I am going with trail addiction

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Bigyinn is that the Baron or der baron. Baron being the lighter weight 2.3 ‘all mountain’ tyre and der baron being ther DH tyre.

I bought a 2.3 baron and got 3 rides out of it before the sidewall cut clean through. this was on peak district sandstone trails, not flint or slate or anything really sharp. still got the little moulding marks on the tyre, only done about 70 miles on it 🙁 Pretty gutted for a 48 quid tyre marketed as ‘protection’ sidewalls

Also had bad experiences with 2.4 rubber queens wearing out the bear and deforming. both very good grippy tyres, just weak sidewalls 🙁

AndyPaice
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Andy, mine was just a cheapo steel beaded 2.3 Baron. Its very robust indeed. Im on the south coast with lots of flinty trails. Its stood up very well. It was bought primarily for mud and winter use, but was on for the whole year!
    Perhaps you were unlucky?

Northwind

Ah fair dos, the wired ones have a totally different construction.

bigyinn
    Free Member

And they are a heavy tyre.

Northwind

Is there a wirey one with the posh rubber? (other’n the Der Baron?) I wouldn’t mind a bit of extra weight as long as it retains the rest of the performance but I’ve never met a non-chili Conti that I got on with…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont think so. I only use it on the rear and its been pretty dam grippy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘barrons’ is closed to new replies.