Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bargain Windows 7 – why not?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

I use Macs mostly exclusively apart from the odd dabble with Memory Map and a few other progs on an ancient PC which is about to die

As I have the PC Ive never bothered with Bootcamp/Parallels etc etc

The above is mainly as I cant justify £££ on a legit copy of Windows to install on my Mac

Now I have just seen Windows 7 on pre order at 50 quid
    This looks good value

I wouldnt touch anything normally before SP1 is released but can I really go wrong with this if I only want to run stuff from Bootcamp occasionally?

And yes I know its not out till November – which is fine as my PC still works (just)

Cheers

bikebore
    Free Member

It's still Windows. Anything post Vista is sh*te. Buy a legit copy of XP off one of the OEM online resellers (should be around 50 quid now), and all the main mapping apps will work, and you'll get decent driver support.

You might have a nightmare with drivers otherwise (for starters….).

badblood
    Free Member

I am runing pre release Windows 7 and it knocks Vista into a cocked hat, PC has not frozen/crashed/died in any way since installing W7 whereas it was pretty much every day with Vista

bikebore
    Free Member

That's interesting badblood – what's the driver suypport like? Are you running mmap or any of the other gps apps on top of it?

CHB

link please.
    will happily order Windas 7 today for £50.

scaredypants

I think you can still get the release candidate for nowt – will run til April next year I think before it "makes" you buy a version

I've got it on my pc – it's good (I'm not much into computers, mind, so I don't do difficult/flash things on it)

johnners
    Free Member

The 7 Release Candidate is impressively stable (for a pre-release) and doesn't seem like a resource hog – I'm running it on a 1.5 Centrino with 1 Mb of RAM and 64Mb of dedicated graphics and it's fine with Aero switched off. MM5 seems fine on it too.

Where have you seen it for £50 – I thought that pre-release offer had expired? The cheapest I can see the Premium for is around £70.

hp_source

+1 for the no problems so far gang… running the free RC version on a HP laptop at work, seems very stable, drivers-wise so far anthing that says vista has worked.

Flaperon

Running the release candidate here along with Visual Studio 2008 and it's been solid as a rock so far and a pleasure to use. And this is through Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro; at the moment I doubt I'll be going back into OS X for a while… 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Everything I'm reading is that 7 is the OS Vista should have been, and very good…

gohan
    Free Member

im waiting for google to release chrome os……………….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bargain Windows 7 – why not?’ is closed to new replies.