Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bar ends on Monkeylite carbon risers?
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Despite fear of potential ridicule from the fashionista’s, although this is wholly related to my new found love of SS, so possibly not so much ridicule? 😉 My question is, would my carbon Monkeylite’s fail catastrophically and cause my immediate ejection from my mortal coil if I were to put ….. bar ends on them?

Gurning uphill might become easier I’m thinking. I used to have some rather lovely X-Lite one’s many years ago, albeit on 300mm or so aluminium flats and do recall using them lots when standing on the pedals going uphills.

I have a suspicion that carbon bars and bar ends are a no-no, riser or flat, but hoping my suspicion is incorrect. Any knowledge imparted on this or the multi-various permutations that are open to me here would be very much appreciated. Thanks 🙂

Oh and I’m no longer on 300mm bars. 680 – 720 work for me, with a little bit of back sweep and risers are good as I find I can keep my neck in a sensible position. 🙂

NZCol

Shamefully i can report it does work. Just be careful when you tighten them.

scotroutes

I’ve been riding with bar-ends (Cane Creek Ergos) on carbon bars for 4/5 years now without any problems. FSA SLKs, Easton Monkeylites, probably some others I can’t remember. Just remember that there’s no need to be a gorilla when tightening them up!

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you guys 😀

I hear you on the bolt tightening too, especially as the bars don’t have aluminium inserts at the ends.

4ags4
    Free Member

Using Cane Creek Ergos also with a carbon bar. They have the advantage of connecting directly to a set of lock on grips so it does spread the load a little if your concerned.

NormalMan

Slight hijack here but same theme, so hope that’s OK.

I took my bar ends off try wider bars (so effectively going from 650 to 700) on my 29er.
    I liked the wider bar, but not the sweep so bought some low rise Fatbar lite’s. They look great but I miss the bar ends.

Anyone got any pics of bar ends on low rise bars?*

* or is this just such a fashion no no?!!

slackalice
    Free Member

Hehe! I think there was a thread earlier today with a new Cotic build that had bar ends, they might have been on risers too 😯

They looked okay to me, but what do I know or care about the fashion police?! 😉

Reminded me actually to have a look for some and found that Cube do some reasonably light, straight and green bar ends, which I think will look fab with the other green highlights I have on the orange coloured bike 8)

Or they maybe a bit too much, but like I said, I’m not one for worrying about fashion, my geared bikes are still 3x ! 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bar ends on Monkeylite carbon risers?’ is closed to new replies.