Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Bands you thought would hit the mainstream but…
  • the-muffin-man

…seemingly can’t quite make it!

I put forward Sundara Karma.

Seen them several times at festivals and their own gigs – they’re great live and they’ve done three (IMO) right good albums (last one probably the weekest). And very radio friendly.

I only started this thread as I’ve just seen an email that they are playing the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham. They normally play the much bigger Rock City next door – the Rescue Rooms is like being put upstairs in the private function room of a pub rather than playing the main stage in the bar!

Baffling when a couple of their songs have got 50 million ish listens on Spotify alone.

nickc

Everything Everything spring to mind. Radio friendly and they do get airtime, and even heard their stuff on TV soundtracks occasionally 4-5 really well received albums. Nominated for loads of awards from BBC new sounds to Ivor Novello and Q, but never seem to make that last breakthrough to proper Star status.

verses

Foster the People had a blinder of a single that I thought would be the “chooon of the summer” a few years back but for some reason they didn’t really take off.

ElShalimo

MGMT

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Always a shame that The Seahorses only brought out one album

ton

Alabama 3.
    Possibly the best band i have ever seen.

kelvin

A Certain Ratio

MoreCashThanDash

c1990 UK  metal obscurity: No Sweat, Jagged Edge.

reeksy

Ivor Bigun and the red-nosed burglars

Harry_the_Spider

The Chameleons.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Mainstream as in become pop? MGMT suggestion up there, but they have a pretty big following in their own right. 180m views on ‘Kids’ and still play large venues.

There was a big era of landfill indie that went massively mainstream: The Zutons, Jack Penate, Pigeon Detectives, etc.

I have a distinct feeling that the current trend for spoken word type (Wet Leg, and others), who I’m a fan of btw will meet a similar fate in a few years..

ChrisL

IIRC it turned out that MGMT were not that interested in developing their music along the lines of Kids and Time to Pretend so their chances of mainstream success faded away after the hits they had off their first album.

Alabama 3 always felt a bit too weird for the big time, some of the times I’ve seen them live have been brilliant but the gleefully fake Southern preacher stuff and their genre blending music never really seemed like it’d easily land with a mainstream audience.

I’m not sure I’d be able to pick out a band I like who I expected to do better than they have. I like some big and successful bands, some with mid-sized success and some that are probably moderately obscure, but few of them ever seem to see increase their level of mainstream success following the point I get into them, so by now I’ve given up ever expecting any of them to do so!

winston
    Free Member

Sinead O’Connor was basically cancelled before she got going – should have been absolutely massive, not just known for one song.

House of Love should have been one of the biggest indie bands from the pre-britpop era but blew it due to internal wranglings and record company inertia

Killing Joke should have been much bigger than they were considering how many huge bands cited them as their inspiration – Nirvana,Metallica,NIN,Soundgarden, Faith No More etc etc

IHN

Wait. What?

lairdburkart
    Free Member

CUD

plumber
    Free Member

The Alice Band

andylc
    Free Member

Eveything Everything are a pretty successful band. Plus have the very satisfying lyrics of ‘stole the face that you wear from a craven baboon’…
    I bought the first single from Komakino called ‘Say Something Else’, saw them at a very small but great gig in Liverpool, confidently predicted they would be the next big thing, they then disappeared completely.
    Another great band was Pete and the Pirates. Lead singer and guitarist now fronting the much more successful and equally great Teleman.

goslow

Trouble is I don’t know what mainstream is other than Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran.

I didn’t think Nadine Shah would be mainstream but thought Self Esteem and CMAT would be. Turns out my kids hadn’t heard of any of them.

edward2000
    Free Member

Metallica

I hope they make it big one day

the-muffin-man

Mainstream is probably the wrong word – I’m thinking of artists who could easily fill a stadium time and again over several tours.

Plenty of rock bands that no-ones every heard of can!

I’d certainly never be an A&R man though – I saw Sam Fender in a side tent at a local festival. Thought he was alright in the usual singer-songwriter mould. Never had him down as playing Glasto Pyramid stage and stadium filler artist! 🙂

Philby

Blue Aeroplanes – amazing live but never hit the success of other Bristol bands of that era (Massive Attack, Portishead etc)

andylc
    Free Member

Sam Fender is probably a bit more interesting than some but that bunch of generic singer songwriter blokes like Sam Smith George Ezra ginger bloke in Game of Thrones – Ed Sheeran – literally can’t tell the difference between them the music is so bland – but they’re all massive. People mostly like easy listening shite.

IHN

Sam Smith George Ezra ginger bloke in Game of Thrones – Ed Sheeran – literally can’t tell the difference between them

I mean, neither is my bag, but if you can’t tell the difference between a Sam Smith track and and Ed Sheeran track you need your ears syringed.

People mostly like easy listening shite

Except the music snobs, obviously

IdleJon

People mostly like easy listening shite
    Except the music snobs, obviously

Yeah, but that’s the same as it always was. People love to look back on the 70s and think everybody was listening to Zeppelin or Bowie when in reality your average household LP collection was full of Max Bygraves and The Carpenters.

Among all the nostalgic recognition of Ken Dodd’s comic genius following his recent death, it is too easy to overlook the fact that he was also a successful pop singer with no fewer than 18 Top 40 hits to his name, four of which made it into the Top 10. His 1965 release Tears was the third highest-selling single in the UK across the entire 1960s.

You might want to read that again, slowly. In a decade that produced countless hits for The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra, Cliff Richard and many more, Ken Dodd’s track outsold them all – except for two songs by The Beatles: She Loves You and I Want to Hold Your Hand, both released in 1963.

from https://theconversation.com/tears-ken-dodd-record-outsold-everyone-but-the-beatles-in-the-1960s-93378

scud
    Free Member

Been a few bands who i thought were successful, but never really got to the level some of their peers have despite the talent, The Coral being one…

andylc
    Free Member

Ok I was exaggerating. Except for the bit where they’re all shite.
    And yes I’m a music snob!

Northwind

Years ago I went to a coheadliner tour and it was so obvious to me that Terris were going to be the next big deal, nothing could possibly stop them from being huge. They managed a number 41 single then lasted just long enough to put out a shit album.

The coheadliners on the other hand were obviously doomed and might as well just give up. Coldplay, their name was.

TBH most of my music is horrible and unlistenable so I’m usually the other way round, I’m shocked when they break out. Like, if you’d told me when I was watching Biffy Clyro at king tuts that they’d end up headlining festivals I’d have laughed (I did tip them to be pretty big, but that’s all relative, I thought they might just about manage to sell out the barrowlands some day) Or the singer from Million Dead doing folk songs.

desperatebicycle

!!!  (aka. chk chk chk) Absolutely phenomenal live band. Charismatic front man (got his cock out first time we saw them! not that that’s a measure of greatness 😂 )  Some really weird tracks and some very poppy, funky tracks. I see them every time I get the chance, but the venues they play have got smaller and smaller.

A. Human – saw them supporting a few bands 15odd years ago, really great sound, great songs and one of the most interesting front men we’d ever seen. They just faded away after their first album (Third Hand Prophesy) and I think the front man is now a woman.

Killing Joke? were more like an unexpected mainstram hit to me! So dark and weird – Love Like Blood and Eighties were huge hits. Totally unexpected for one of the weirder post-punk bands.

franksinatra

I’m a big fan of The Backseat Lovers and cannot understand why they are still playing student union sized venues.

anagallis_arvensis

The Wonder stuff. “Once upon a time we could have been a stadium band, you know that right” said Miles at the last show before they split…he was correct

andylc
    Free Member

In complete reverse but I still remember hearing Mariah Carey’s first album and telling whoever it was had inflicted it on me that she would never amount to anything singing such unlistenable warbling, then later on hearing the first single by the Spice Girls and confidently predicting a one, or preferably zero hit wonder.
    I was as wrong as it is possible to be both times.

It would always be a problem for them, trying to build a career imitating the far superior Shirehorses.

funkmasterp

Clutch

Skindred/Dub War

Aesop Rock

although successful in their own rights.

mogrim

your average household LP collection was full of Max Bygraves and The Carpenters.

The Carpenters are f******g ace!

Anyway, the Pixies. Yeah, they’re not exactly unknown, but mainstream? They never got there.

w00dster

Probably mainstream as they have had a number 1 album for a week – but I would go with the Lottery Winners. Have been to see them a lot, live they are absolutely awesome.

Also Jamie Webster. I love his music, seen him once and going again soon. I can kind of see why his music doesn’t appeal to everyone, kind of a northern Billy Bragg.

Rianne Downey, quite young but a great talent. Watching her and the Lottery Winners support Deacon Blue at Liverpool Waterfront in the summer.

Elbow I always thought were going to be massive, in the Muse sense of massive (I’m a HUGE Muse fan so be nice!!). But they never did quite make it.

sadexpunk

Six By Seven

……And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

The Music

sofaboy73
    Free Member

CUD

there’s a blast form the past. they didn’t even breakout of the late eighties indie scene, when many of their cohorts were getting in the charts. many a sweaty teenage nigh out in the mosh pit at their gigs

for me, i’m always surprised Frank Turner hasn’t had wider crossover success, all be it his last album was no 1 – i’m guessing driven by the loyal small army of fans and lots of pre-sale push. something for everyone one in his music – from punk to folk – consistently amazing live and a very talented songwriter. i mean he even opened the 2012 Olympics and has warmed up for the likes of green day and springsteen, however whenever i mention his music to people who have similar tastes to me they never seem to be aware of him, despite being 10 albums in

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Elbow I always thought were going to be massive

they did get pretty big after seldom seen kid. haven’t they headlined glastonbury?

johnx2
    Free Member

!!!. I see them every time I get the chance, but the venues they play have got smaller and smaller.

Fantastic live and look unembarrassed to be in smaller venues and just happy to be doing it. (Pretty much my “career” trajectory…) But yeah inexplicably neglected

Ben & Jason anybody? Anybody?? Just me then…

Northwind

Skindred are a pretty good example though, they’re probably massive considering the music. Benji said his hope was just that they’d have as good a run as Dub War, then they ended up on Conan O’Brian and stuff like that, number 2 in the album chart, headlining Wembley Arena and stuff like that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.