• This topic has 54 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Bands from your area that were pretty good
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

All the pretty good bands are from my area.

juanghia
    Free Member

Having lived in Liverpool and Devon I can safely say no decent music has come from either of those places.

I did briefly live in Sheffield so I will take Def Leppard

johnx2
    Free Member

Wakefield: Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

What about Black Lace?

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Garry Glitter’s from the town I live in. Not sure that qualifies as good though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Off the top of my head:

Where I was (Essex/Suffolk border):

The Prodigy.
    Cradle of Filth.
    Blur (Damon’s dad was my head of art school)
    Suzi Quattro
    Steve Harley

Where I am now (IoW):

Mark from Level 42 lives pretty nearby…

Where my folks are from (west London – Ealing/Greenford/Perivale):

The Who (Dad’s best mate at school was Pete Townsend’s neighbour)
    Elton John
    Gary Numan
    Jamiroquai
    Brand New Heavies
    The Stones weren’t too far away either

joshvegas
    Free Member

When you gooooo will you send back a lettur frooooom america….

Went to my school did the proclaimers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

In Southampton, I can only think of Howard Jones and Craig David (not bands, I know).

the delays. ace band.

artful dodger.

allan23
    Free Member

Leeds – so pretty much the 80 goth scene. Sisters of Mercy, Mission and others. Quite a few of them were from the surrounding towns as well so it wasn’t really a Leeds thing it’s just it was a good night out. There was stuff going on around Leeds, like Futurama Festival in Bradford, but Leeds had The Phono, Chocolate Factory and The Faversham.

Used to see a few of the band members turning up for a pint in the Fav on a Friday night, even afetr some of them had minor success with US stadium tours.

stever
    Free Member

I ran past the Barlow family farm just this week. It’s on the Cheshire Stars and their Tractors celebrity trail.

zinaru
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOXrEn-9Io[/video]

Edinburghs finest although I’m guessing I’m in the minority.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Born in Liverpool. Did we have any bands?

Pyro

[video]https://youtu.be/xslQTkZ0cxI[/video]

It Bites, West Cumbria’s finest.

Francis Dunnery, the lead singer, did alright for himself after they split up as well.

TheDTs
    Free Member

A few Mercury prize winners and shortlisters from Brizz and the surrounding area.
    Portishead, Roni Size/reprezent and Massive Attack.

Lame Claim to fame

a, I sold Grant from Massive Attack a North Face down jacket XXL special order, the shop manager thought he was on the rob and he wore the jacket to accept an award in New York..
    b, I used to work next door to the recording studio that New Forms was written in, I used to pop in for a smoke on my lunch break. Never saw Roni, though.

donks
    Free Member

This may not surprise but Milton Keynes has a poor history for decent bands…. saying that I’m off to watch Jesus jones (remember them) tonight at my local a minute walk from house.

Best we had were:
    Cap-down
    Hactavist
    Tesseract
    Heart of a coward (also working in my local)

Also I would put Jim Marshall of amplifier fame in MK not London as he was here for years and built all his kit here.

A lot of metal here in mk.

Digby

Leeds – so pretty much the 80 goth scene. Sisters of Mercy, Mission and others. Quite a few of them were from the surrounding towns as well so it wasn’t really a Leeds

I think the thing about the Leeds/West Yorks ‘scene’ in the early ’80s was that it was pretty cohesive and mutually supportive (similar to some of the ‘scenes’ that came out of the likes of Manchester & Liverpool) – contrast this with Sheffield which has ‘nurtured’ loads of great bands over the years, but they tend to develop in isolation from each other.

Jarvis Cocker apparently attributes this to the supportive workforce culture of the docks and mills in Liverpool and West Yorks etc compared to the small independent ‘little mesters’ of the Sheffield steel industry. It’s an interesting anecdote anyway …

I did briefly live in Sheffield so I will take Def Leppard

Clearly you didn’t live here long enough … 😉

Cabaret Voltaire
    Drenge
    Heaven 17
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Human League
    Pulp

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Bands from your area that were pretty good’ is closed to new replies.