Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Baking contaminated pads….urban myth?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Curious as to wether this works. I recently had problems getting the free stroke dialled when bleeding my XT brakes without the pads in so I carefully (or so I thought) bled them with the pads in situ. Now they’re not working as they should so they must be ever so slightly contaminated. I’ve since bought new pads but was wondering wether the soiled pads could be saved.

Experiences…

imnotverygood

P’raps the BBC should start a new series called the Great British Brake Off.
    IGMC

tymbian
    Free Member

Stop it…

I’ll get mine too…

Simon

Holding contaminated pads over a naked flame (eg gas hob) to burn the oil off can sometimes save pads, but when you can get new pads for a fiver I wouldn’t bother.

njee20
    Free Member

Simon +1

mjsmke

Worked for me when i spilled some brake fluid on some hayes pads. Held them over a flame on my cooker for a few seconds. Took it off and let it smoke for a few seconds then repeated a few times. Good as new after that.

ampthill

The flame thing makes more sense as the oil gets oxidised to water and co2

The oven thing might evaporate the oil but doesn’t seem hot enough to me

But as you’ve had to ask the question you know it not worth it.

globalti
    Free Member

Stick them in a dishwasher. Extremely hot and caustic.

tymbian
    Free Member

Simon..if they weren’t the finned ones I’d just bin them.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve retrieved a few pads by baking on hot oven for half hour. It does work but only really with light soiling .

Make sure you properly clean the discs too though with brake cleaner and maybe just key the surface with some wet and dry too

mint5auce
    Free Member

Yes it works!
    Electric oven on full whack.
    smoky but pads as good as new 😀

Squirrel

Heated mine over the gas hob. The backing plate fell off 😯

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve saved pads by putting them in the oven. My housemate was less than impressed by the stink though.

mjsmke

Dishwashers are nowhere near as hot as an oven or flame.

oliverracing

yep, oven on max heat for about an hour.

Also done it with a open flame at the midlands XCE champs last year, my calipers were leaking at such a rate that I was having to swap and burn the pads after each round – worked a treat and I was glad each race was only 60 seconds long!

Sui
    Free Member

just ride em I’m some mud and drag the brakes down a hill and they’ll sort themselves. I’ve never understood how this can be such a struggle. I’ve been a cock and contaminated pads a few times, but being a cheap skate I could be arsed to change them.. A few rides and they’ve always been fine.. Plus it helps your technique aa bit..

Not being able to stop that is…

dropoff

Blow torch works wonders, but use it carefully 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I found baking works better than deep frying .

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah blow torch does work. Or if you’re a bit of a pansy like me, creme brulee chef’s blowtorch 😆

It gives off a black smoke for a few seconds and then stops – IME this means the oil’s burnt off. Controversially I’d rather use the torched pads for a few rides to try and soak up / burn off any oil left on the rotor. Then swap them out for new ones.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Baking contaminated pads….urban myth?’ is closed to new replies.